In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MN turkey adventure

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yes it is with a gun, but still funny as can be. I took my friend out yesterday on a turkey hunt. Here is the story, and pic.

We did it. Shot the bird at 8:45... But the story does not end there.

The set was simple. One stuffer hen decoy to the right 20 yards, then a strutting jake and hen in front at about 20 yards.
Not a single bird in sight until 8:30. First one, then three hens, and later 2 toms entered the field from our south (left) side. As we where trying to set up for the shot up came a hen from the north. This hen from the north must have been a dominant bird, because she was fight-purring and charging the stuffer. She made 3 loops around the decoy. Then her attention turned to our blind. She watched very closely, but we held still and after a minute or two she lost interest. The other 5 continued in to our decoys despite the commotion. The gun was raised when the birds hit 34 yards the shot hit and the bird went down.

I bolted from the blind and got to the bird first. He came out and exchanged some high fives and congrats while I was standing on the bird to keep it from flopping too much. After 5 minutes we decided to tear down the blind and pick up the decoys. I took my foot off and the turkey sprang up. The chase was on, although I do not know what I would have done if I could have caught it.

Another shot was fired and connected from 50 yards. It rolled and dove into some brush. From there we spent about 30 minutes looking for the bird. I found him hunkered down under a cut away creek bank. My friend shot 2 times over its head as it was swimming across the river. The third shot hit and finished the bird. Now it is floating down stream fast... Only choice was to wade in, and it is his bird so he gets the honors. I sent along an 8 foot long stick to try to fish the bird out without getting too wet. First try resulted in a 3 foot long stick. Then he waded out to nearly waste deep water to grab the bird.
0428090910a.jpg

We went back to the blind for a cup of coffee and to celebrate some. I bet you think the story ends here... Nope

Not as bad, but while I was chasing the turkey I dropped all of my calls- Strikers, slates, diaphragms, and gobble shaker all somewhere out there. We found them all in short order, but still just one more thing for this outing. It is one I'll never forget!

Comments

• Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    are you going to archery hunt them at all?

i just got my first bow a few weeks back down in owattona...

anywho, im getting geared up for my first archery hunt for them ugly ba$tards [;)] this month (first archery hunt all together)

hopefully ill have some pics to throw up here in the coming weeks

how, this was a worthwhile post [:D]
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter
    are you going to archery hunt them at all?

i just got my first bow a few weeks back down in owattona...

anywho, im getting geared up for my first archery hunt for them ugly ba$tards [;)] this month (first archery hunt all together)

hopefully ill have some pics to throw up here in the coming weeks

how, this was a worthwhile post [:D]

I bowhunted durring my season. In fact if I had my shotgun I could have got a bird every day, but the bow is a little tougher. My wife is bowhunting these last 2 weeks. We where out Friday through Sunday. Saw lots of birds, but nothing close enough for her to shoot. Most are hanging up 50-60 yards out, with the closest one at 42.

If you are shooting a bow I have a few tips for you.
    First... I like the Hypershock broadheads for turkey. They don'e open until they are well into the bird and have a 2+" cutting diameter.
    Use a good blind with your decoys close. Mine are usually under 10 yards. Stay in the back half of the blind and wear all black inside the blind to blend in with the shadows.
    This late in the season calls work in the early morning, but after that it is a right place-right time game.

I'm in Byron, just east of Owatonna by 30 minutes. Let me know if you need more help.

Good luck.