In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone here shoot traditional...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
...and if so, what is your shooting style...100% instinct, gap method, what??? I've been bowhunting for roughly 30 years with a compound, but I'm going traditional this year. Any advice? Right now I'm hitting my target about 50% of the time (with no real method)...the other 50% of shots are in a 10" circle around that (this is at 15 yards). I had a local guy custom make my bow and it's a hybrid between a long bow and a recurve. It's pulling around 70 lbs at my draw length of 29.5-30". Unfortunately, the bamboo laminate on the outside of my limbs cracked and split off yesterday, so the guy is making me a new bow. I've got quite a few questions, but I'll just start with this one right now...

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't really have anything to offer. Good friend of my fathers makes bows and shoots them, both long and recurves. Has always amazed me how damn good of a shot he is.

Anyways, get some pictures up or this thread is worthless! And of your arrows!.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's going to have to wait for my new bow now! I just hope the arrows will work with the new bow....I asked him to make the draw weight a little less on the new one.

I sure hope the arrows work...I had a new string and arrows made up for the bow that broke...
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I have picked up a recurve but have not shot it yet and don't even have arrows. Its my first so I have nothing to offer either other than maybe we can learn from each others mistakes. [:D] Had one of my girls out shootin yesterday. this is only her second time. She made me proud when her sisters and neighbor kid kept yelling for her to come play and she said when she was done shooting she would. [^]
    Sorry about the hijack ECC

boobow.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    I have picked up a recurve but have not shot it yet and don't even have arrows. Its my first so I have nothing to offer either other than maybe we can learn from each others mistakes. [:D] Had one of my girls out shootin yesterday. this is only her second time. She made me proud when her sisters and neighbor kid kept yelling for her to come play and she said when she was done shooting she would. [^]
    Sorry about the hijack ECC

boobow.jpg

[8D][8D][8D] I've been thinking about trying to get my wife and daughter into shooting bows...make a family event out of it.
  • Options
    Easton Archer 66Easton Archer 66 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just cause its called traditional doesn't mean you can't use sights..
    I must admit that when I trained seriously in competition for the '72
    Olympics, my equipment was set up for long range, precision target shooting @ distances of 90,70,50, and 30 meters. I also did deer hunt, using a custom made COOK recurve hunting bow out of Utah. I shot bare bow with it and killed my first deer, a mulie fork horn @ about 65 yards; using a thin leather work glove I cut the thumb and little finger off for a tab. I was even using custom Cabala's wood arrows with BEAR Razorheads made for me at their first Neb. store. Depending on the yardage, I shot three fingers under the arrow or split finger while using the point of the arrow to reference my yardage and windage with. As a matter of fact, while I was competing in the 1970 Wy. State Indoor Championships, I signed up for and shot with sights in what was referred to as freestyle.. I had shot early on a morning line and decided, just for fun, to sign up and shoot bare bow rather than sit around the rest of the day waiting for the results. Turned out that I won the Men's freestyle, and as they were getting ready to announce the winner of the bare bow Men's Champion, there seemed to be some sort of problem[:0] I was called up to the officials desk and told that I had indeed won the BareBow championship but the state officials[:o)] decided it was unfair[:(][V] for me to have both titles and I had to decide which one I was going to give up for someone else to have; AND I wasn't to mention it to anyone as they hadn't posted the scores as was required
    therefore on one really knew who did win. They forgot about the scorekeeper on my target butt, who happened to be one of the top BareBow shooters in the state jumped up when they announced the winner and his winning score. Boy did the poo hit the fan on that one. I didn't mind who got the award, I knew I had won, even though I hadn't ever figured I could possibly win it in the first place.[:D]
  • Options
    Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I switched over about 10 years ago. Started collecting old bows, must have about 80 now. It is hard to describe my style, probably 100% instinctive. Get on tradgang.com for advice on any aspect of trad shooting.

Sounds like you are starting heavy for a beginner. Realize it is a totally different sport than compound. In trad shooting, accuracy is the key, and a lot of practice. Much better to hit a deer accurately with a 45# bow than a poor hit with a 70# bow. I like 55# myself. Bear archery made 75% of recurves 45# in their heyday. Your draw length will be likely a little less with a trad bow. Work on developing a consistent anchor point and a smooth release.

The best thing is to try different bows out at a shoot before you buy one. Trad shoots are all over. Also, some of the how to videos by Byron Ferguson and Dan Bertalan are helpful. Get on tradgang and feel free to email me if there is any info I can help you with. good luck!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Horney Toad gave good advice conserning draw weight on a recurve vs the Compound. Drop down to a 40-45# weight and work on consistancy in using an anchor point and developing your follow through. 15 yards is plenty far enough to work on these points; and as you are doing this, you will find your accuracy will start to improve. You will need to develop your own style of aiming, or just shoot totally instinctively at your own choice. If you are going to keep your shots under about 25 yards, I would suggest you try to shoot with all three fingers under the arrow while bringing the nock up toward your eye as close as comfortable. This will allow you to shoot while looking down the shaft toward the target. It works.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went out back to the range this evening with my 45# Wing Red Wing Hunter and shot about 30 arrows; three fingers under @ 12-15 yds by simply focusing on a spot on the deer target; drawing to a solid anchor point and letting fly. Very few strayed out of the kill area, only then when I didn't really consentrate of my follow-through.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You go to any trad shoots Easton? I live in the northeast. I'm going to one in Baltimore this weekend. And the biggest one, the Eastern Trad Rendezvous in July in Pa.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Easton Archer 66
    Just cause its called traditional doesn't mean you can't use sights..
    I must admit that when I trained seriously in competition for the '72
    Olympics, my equipment was set up for long range, precision target shooting @ distances of 90,70,50, and 30 meters. I also did deer hunt, using a custom made COOK recurve hunting bow out of Utah. I shot bare bow with it and killed my first deer, a mulie fork horn @ about 65 yards; using a thin leather work glove I cut the thumb and little finger off for a tab. I was even using custom Cabala's wood arrows with BEAR Razorheads made for me at their first Neb. store. Depending on the yardage, I shot three fingers under the arrow or split finger while using the point of the arrow to reference my yardage and windage with. As a matter of fact, while I was competing in the 1970 Wy. State Indoor Championships, I signed up for and shot with sights in what was referred to as freestyle.. I had shot early on a morning line and decided, just for fun, to sign up and shoot bare bow rather than sit around the rest of the day waiting for the results. Turned out that I won the Men's freestyle, and as they were getting ready to announce the winner of the bare bow Men's Champion, there seemed to be some sort of problem[:0] I was called up to the officials desk and told that I had indeed won the BareBow championship but the state officials[:o)] decided it was unfair[:(][V] for me to have both titles and I had to decide which one I was going to give up for someone else to have; AND I wasn't to mention it to anyone as they hadn't posted the scores as was required
    therefore on one really knew who did win. They forgot about the scorekeeper on my target butt, who happened to be one of the top BareBow shooters in the state jumped up when they announced the winner and his winning score. Boy did the poo hit the fan on that one. I didn't mind who got the award, I knew I had won, even though I hadn't ever figured I could possibly win it in the first place.[:D]

I do not want sights...I lost a shot at the biggest elk I've ever seen in my life b/c I could not see through my peep...this elk was 20 yards broadside. I want to learn to shoot traditional...preferably instinct shooting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horney toad
    I switched over about 10 years ago. Started collecting old bows, must have about 80 now. It is hard to describe my style, probably 100% instinctive. Get on tradgang.com for advice on any aspect of trad shooting.

Sounds like you are starting heavy for a beginner. Realize it is a totally different sport than compound. In trad shooting, accuracy is the key, and a lot of practice. Much better to hit a deer accurately with a 45# bow than a poor hit with a 70# bow. I like 55# myself. Bear archery made 75% of recurves 45# in their heyday. Your draw length will be likely a little less with a trad bow. Work on developing a consistent anchor point and a smooth release.

The best thing is to try different bows out at a shoot before you buy one. Trad shoots are all over. Also, some of the how to videos by Byron Ferguson and Dan Bertalan are helpful. Get on tradgang and feel free to email me if there is any info I can help you with. good luck!

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Easton Archer 66
    Horney Toad gave good advice conserning draw weight on a recurve vs the Compound. Drop down to a 40-45# weight and work on consistancy in using an anchor point and developing your follow through. 15 yards is plenty far enough to work on these points; and as you are doing this, you will find your accuracy will start to improve. You will need to develop your own style of aiming, or just shoot totally instinctively at your own choice. If you are going to keep your shots under about 25 yards, I would suggest you try to shoot with all three fingers under the arrow while bringing the nock up toward your eye as close as comfortable. This will allow you to shoot while looking down the shaft toward the target. It works.

Thank you for the input. I had been shooting tabs with one finger above the arrow. I have no problem pulling and holding this bow...I can pretty easily shoot about 60 arrows before I start to feel it...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Let me know if the 3 under works.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Let me know if the 3 under works.

For some odd reason, I shoot way off with 3 fingers under...I'm not sure why. I'm shooting way over my target. It seems that I shoot best when I just feel the shot.?.?...actually, when i feel it, I hit dead on...problem is, that only happens about 50% of the time![B)][:I]

I responded to your post a few days back...but I don't see my response...hence the repost.
  • Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    I shoot an old Ben Pearson 55 pound recurve. No sights. I use cedar shaft arrows. I'm not real good at it, yet. I did manage to kill a whitetail doe in Montana a few years ago. It's fun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Horney toad,
    I haven't shot any competition since the Fall of 1971 when my Dr. informed me to either have surgey or quit shooting any more. I was 23 yrs old, scared of being cut on and had no family around to advise me, so I retired just before archery was declared an Olympic sport. I just play with my recurves anymore when I can draw one to shoot it. I did work for EASTON in '66-'67 and shot on their Amateur team, winning the U.S. Open Indoor Amateur Team Match[:D] in '67 @ Las Vegas while placing 5th in the individual matches
    EEC,
    As far as shooting with sights while hunting, you MIGHT try doing so WITHOUT the peep site. When I competed, we shot out to 100 yards using only the nocking point on the string along with the sights and shot some pretty good scores for the times. You should never have a problem hitting an elk sized animal in the kill area if your sites are set correctly even without the peep. Give it a try before you give up on what you already know, skill wise. Just lay the site pins along the outside of your string; which will require a slight setting adjustment, but I can't remember wether in or out[?] Good luck regardless and remember to: AIM RIGHT-SHOOT STRAIGHT-&-LIVE & HONOR and INTEGRITY. God bless!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    quote:Let me know if the 3 under works.
    You got me on shooting high with the 3 under. Generally the shot goes low. Start with your bow arm held level to the center of your target, consentrate on the area you want to hit while drawing to your anchor point, no lower than the corner of your mouth then release as soon as you complete the draw. See if that helps. 3 under was designed for distances out to about 30-35 yards, and you can use your point as something of an aiming point site.
    Jerry

For some odd reason, I shoot way off with 3 fingers under...I'm not sure why. I'm shooting way over my target. It seems that I shoot best when I just feel the shot.?.?...actually, when i feel it, I hit dead on...problem is, that only happens about 50% of the time![B)][:I]

I responded to your post a few days back...but I don't see my response...hence the repost.
  • Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ECC,

I've got a 67# SAXON "black gold" longbow made in Potlatch. It's
    quite quick but way too much for my rotator cup and elbow any more.
    I'm down to about 45-55 lb. any more. It would probably make you a
    good backup though. If you think you could use it let me know.
    Don
  • Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    I have, for a few years. I draw to the same anchor point, and the rest is instinct. Maybe, after a ton more practice, I'll be able to consistently hit the target. Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pingjockey

ECC,

I've got a 67# SAXON "black gold" longbow made in Potlatch. It's
    quite quick but way too much for my rotator cup and elbow any more.
    I'm down to about 45-55 lb. any more. It would probably make you a
    good backup though. If you think you could use it let me know.
    Don

How much do you want for it??? I'd certainly be interested!...??? Thanks!

Eric
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have you got anything laying around you'd like to trade?
    I've been eyeballing my three grandsons, and I would be real
    suprised if any of them are going to grow into this. Great
    boys, just small in stature.

Don
  • Options
    stiknstringbowstiknstringbow Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did not want to spoil anything for anyone but if ECC dosn't take you up on that bow I am mighty interested in it, maybe a swap for a grizzly or two?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Will wait and see what Eric has in mind. Got a couple of others
    I'm probably going to get rid of also, a Bear "Montana" and
    a "thunderhorn".
    Guess I'm a dinosaur of sorts, 61, been shooting since I was 5
    and have never owned a compound. Thanks for the response though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Eric,

You are getting plenty of good advice on here. Only thing I might
    add is that I found is that when you shoot, you go through three stages. First couple of shots are kind of a "mind" calibration.
    Next, you will start putting them in there pretty consistently.
    Third stage is when you start to tire and fudge your technique.
    Don't quite get to your anchor spot, move your head to get there,
    fingers or wrist tire etc. Best to stop when you see evidence of stage three setting in. Don't want to be practicing bad technique.
    Found that when you get to your hunting spot, it only takes a couple of arrows to re calibrate. Of course, all bets are off when "buck fever" sets in!
  • Options
    edited November -1

Will wait and see what Eric has in mind. Got a couple of others
    I'm probably going to get rid of also, a Bear "Montana" and
    a "thunderhorn".
    Guess I'm a dinosaur of sorts, 61, been shooting since I was 5
    and have never owned a compound. Thanks for the response though.

...don't rightly know...what interests you.?.?
  • Options
    edited November -1

Eric,

You are getting plenty of good advice on here. Only thing I might
    add is that I found is that when you shoot, you go through three stages. First couple of shots are kind of a "mind" calibration.
    Next, you will start putting them in there pretty consistently.
    Third stage is when you start to tire and fudge your technique.
    Don't quite get to your anchor spot, move your head to get there,
    fingers or wrist tire etc. Best to stop when you see evidence of stage three setting in. Don't want to be practicing bad technique.
    Found that when you get to your hunting spot, it only takes a couple of arrows to re calibrate. Of course, all bets are off when "buck fever" sets in!

...so you shoot when you are out hunting and there's nothing to shoot at.?.? To tell you the truth...I don't really get "buck fever" anymore. I've killed so many deer with a bow (compound) that it's not funny. I've got well over 100 deer under my belt. Elk on the other hand...I'm still working on that...along with bear. I hunt on the ground now. Back east, I hunted from a tree stand.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Eric,

LOL! There's always something to shoot at! I couldn't hold a
    candle to you as far as numbers but have enjoyed all my years in the
    field just the same. Any more I find rabbits and grouse far easier to
    pack than an elk. Best advice I was ever given when instinct shooting
    was to "pick a spot! And then pick a spot on that spot!!"
    I didn't have anything special in mind. Always looking for an
    oddball contender or encore barrel though. Something you just don't
    use much anymore. Kind of like me and that bow.

Don
  • Options
    stiknstringbowstiknstringbow Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own several older Bear bows and a couple Damon Howatts, but I wish more of them were a little heavier. All of the (except for Tamejin) are 40# or over mostly 40#-50# and I am an elk nut so I keep looking for 60#-75#
  • Options
    arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started with a recurve and then went to longbows. Liked them so well I bought a fellows business in Alaska, and have been building them ever since. I still use the one recurve to shoot fish, as it gets muddy wet, and knocked around. Instinctive seems to work best for me, it seems. I used to shoot heavy bows but my shoulder got hurt in an accident, so have gone to around 50#. Much more enjoyable to shoot! Here is my website if you want to look at a few bows. www.fisklongbows.com

Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1

Eric,

LOL! There's always something to shoot at! I couldn't hold a
    candle to you as far as numbers but have enjoyed all my years in the
    field just the same. Any more I find rabbits and grouse far easier to
    pack than an elk. Best advice I was ever given when instinct shooting
    was to "pick a spot! And then pick a spot on that spot!!"
    I didn't have anything special in mind. Always looking for an
    oddball contender or encore barrel though. Something you just don't
    use much anymore. Kind of like me and that bow.

Don

I don't know what I would have and don't use that anyone would want...I can certainly get a contender barrel though! What kind of calibers might you be looking for???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been interested in picking up a 10" 44mag without the
    shredder in it,or, any of the jdj's. Toy with the idea of some
    kind of 17cal. Enjoy playing with the oddballs.????
  • Options
    blackwidowbowmanblackwidowbowman Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot traditional, in fact I returned after playing with the so called modern bow for about ten years. I started shooting bow 1966 B.C., meaning before compounds....LOL

I shoot instinctive, although, many people get hung up on labels. I am not aware of the tip of my arrow when I shoot, nor am I aware of yardage.

It is a simpler way to shoot, and I find myself enjoying my time afield much more than before. Oh, I keep the freezer filled with those old stick and strings.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by blackwidowbowman
    I shoot traditional, in fact I returned after playing with the so called modern bow for about ten years. I started shooting bow 1966 B.C., meaning before compounds....LOL

I shoot instinctive, although, many people get hung up on labels. I am not aware of the tip of my arrow when I shoot, nor am I aware of yardage.

It is a simpler way to shoot, and I find myself enjoying my time afield much more than before. Oh, I keep the freezer filled with those old stick and strings.

Welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    pingjockey...I am definitely still interested in that bow if you still have it. I just need to get you what you are looking for. I'm not working right now, outside of our small gun shop...if you are not in a tremendous hurry, I'll figure something out. Thanks![:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by blackwidowbowman

I'd like to learn from someone like yourself. I first start shooting a recurve in the 70's...and almost immediately graduated to a compound. I need the old school fellas to school me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Eric,

I'm not in any hurry at all, in fact I have to get it out of storage in a couple of weeks when I head up to Kamiah to do some fencing. I'll get your address and ship it up to you and you can see
    how it feels for you.
    Don
  • Options
    edited November -1

Eric,

I'm not in any hurry at all, in fact I have to get it out of storage in a couple of weeks when I head up to Kamiah to do some fencing. I'll get your address and ship it up to you and you can see
    how it feels for you.
    Don

Don,

I'd be mighty appreciative...sounds like it might be a good fit.

I'm not real sure about this hybrid I had made. I cannot seem to shoot it with any kind of real consistency. Sometimes I'm hitting dead on and other times, I'm way off.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Eric, check this out, a guy from tradgang. He shoots pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPVxk7OlUg0&feature=channel_page