In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HELP! Draw weight ???

FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
I have an old Mathews Signature bow that was given to me. Have the cam changed to match my draw length. However, the draw weight is maxed out at 55 lbs (supposed to be from 50-70 lbs as noted on the limb). I took it to Scheel's yesterday, the archery mgr took some measurements and thumb through some reference manuals but to no avail. He's calling Mathews today for some advise.

Any idea(s)? Please advise. Thanks.

V/R

Ed

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you changed the cams, did you change the strings too? That is a must.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Thats where i'd start as well. My 70lbs was only hittin 60 something, a few twists to the string put me back at 71 lbs. but that was a new string that just got stretched to its prime.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Thats where i'd start as well. My 70lbs was only hittin 60 something, a few twists to the string put me back at 71 lbs. but that was a new string that just got stretched to its prime.

My assumption, without seeing the bow would be that his brace hieght is way short also. I know on most Hoyt bows, you can't get away with a cam change with out a cable change. There is just to much difference in the cable lengths. This is partly do to the fact that the cams are adjustable in draw length.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ADDED INFO:

Old CAM = 32"

New CAM = 26" (NO, did not change string)

ATA is 1/2" shorter

Brace height is 3/4" longer.

Archery manager called Mathews - both manager and Mathews tech think it might be more than a string. Archery manager expressed concern and do not want to advise a string change ($65) if that's not the most probable cause. However, Mathews offered to ship a free string - awesome customer service. Provide S/N and will ordered tomorrow.

I have my fingers crossed that this does it ... will soon find out.

Thanks again for all your responses.

V/R

Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FEENIX
    ADDED INFO:

Old CAM = 32"

New CAM = 26" (NO, did not change string)

Oh jeeze, Who recommended that you change the cams out? That big of a jump, you are looking at a string, control cable, and bus cable change minimum and maybe a limb change too.

I will say, I am not up on Mathews products, or how they label their cams or limbs. However, each limb set is a pair, each limb set gets tested for its range of flexibility so to say. Its then matched up with a cam that will work for that range, for a certain bow, to get the desired results. All of these things combine to get you your brace height, draw weight, length, and ATA.

Hoyt bows for example, if you email them. They will tell you what limb number goes with what cam, on what bow, what year, and what your cable and string lengths are. Hoyt marks their limbs on the end in the pocket. So an example for Hoyt would be, number 43 XT3000 limbs, with a B cam 1/2 on a 2005 Protec. Then the string lengths depend on this information to get me that desired draw weight and length. Which happened to be 50 pounds and 28.5 draw. I just happen to know that off the time of my head because I had to change cams.

I would be almost certain that Mathews has something similar.

So, for future reference, when changing cams, make sure everything else will work with it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CAM was changed because that is the only way they can adjust the draw length to mine. Everything is in synch except that it's maxed out at 55 lbs of draw weight.

If I have to change string, control cable, bus cable change and possibly a set of limbs ... I might have to re-consider and re-invest on a new bow instead.

Thanks again.

V/R

Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CAM was changed because that is the only way they can adjust the draw length to mine. Everything is in synch except that it's maxed out at 55 lbs of draw weight.

If I have to change string, control cable, bus cable change and possibly a set of limbs ... I might have to re-consider and re-invest on a new bow instead.

Thanks again.

V/R

Ed

That is what I was getting at. Because I know on Hoyt bows, what you have done will never get you where you need to be. I was just wondering who told you to change the just the cam?

On Hoyt bows, with the Cam 1/2 you can usually get away with moving up or down a one cam with new strings for that cam and still hold on to the bow specs. Anything greater then that will usually require a limb change.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

Thanks again.

V/R

Ed

That is what I was getting at. Because I know on Hoyt bows, what you have done will never get you where you need to be. I was just wondering who told you to change the just the cam?

Same guy that is helping now.

On Hoyt bows, with the Cam 1/2 you can usually get away with moving up or down a one cam with new strings for that cam and still hold on to the bow specs. Anything greater then that will usually require a limb change.

Dang, why didn't he think of that!

Thanks again for all the education.

V/R

Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How is it coming?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    New string is due any day now ... will keep you posted. Thx.

V/R

Ed

UPDATED 22 AUG 09:

Got tired of waiting for the string from Mathews ... every time my archery shop manager calls no one seems to have a clue of any orders as previously noted.

Installed custom cable and string from a local guy yesterday. Poundage only went up by 3 lbs ... I'll just leave it as is and just save up money for a new rig next. Thanks again.

V/R

Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would find a new bow professional to help you next time. It is pretty obvious this guy doesn't have a clue, he is just there to sell bows.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    I would find a new bow professional to help you next time. It is pretty obvious this guy doesn't have a clue, he is just there to sell bows.

Sad but true!