In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

change in draw weight?

KulaKula Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
I have an old Bear recurve it says the draw weight is 55lbs
it is kind of old, from the 40s, over the years it feels like it has gotten MUCH harder to shoot. I know I know, except for the fact the last time i shot it i shattered all my arrows and i didnt even use a full draw. 20 years ago it would pass completely through a standard target.
Is it possible that it has dried over the years and gotten harder to draw?
Or is it possible it was mislabeled originally, my Dad used it to hunt Black Bear in Canada.
Where can i get it tested?
thanks

Comments

• A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you think the limbs might be malfunctioning, why shoot it? Good way to lose a forearm friend. Bear makes a lot of cheaper bows now, I recommend getting a new one [;)]
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are the limbs fiberglass or wood? I would take it down to the local pro shop. They can tell you exactly what the draw weight is and check it over for you to make sure its safe to shoot. Ive never heard of a draw weight going up, its usually the other way. The arrows you were shooting might not have been properly spined for the bow. Best of Luck