In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

wanting some input

wvhuntwvhunt Member Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
On the property i hunt the owner likes us to save the mature does till they come in heat, we tend to see bucks we have never seen untill the rut comes in, with that said could we develop a problem that we save so many does waiting till they come in heat that there is no compitention for finding a breedable doe?

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I dont think so in fact I would think you would attract more mature bucks..
  • Options
    wvhuntwvhunt Member Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input
  • Options
    T1jetmechT1jetmech Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a biologist helping manage our club. He has told us that too many does will produce a decline of visible bucks in the rut. The bucks keep the hot does pressed and bedded and stay in cover. Since we have gone to a two to one ratio in kills (does to bucks) we have had more trophy bucks killed in the rut than previous years. I live in a state that doesn't have hard winters on deers and we have a recorded 45 deer per acre...they are every where.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    per acre [:0] Holy cow, how can you get to stand without bumpin them out. I live on 10 acres and I can''t imagine 45 deer on 10. Thats just incredible. Here they go by sq mile and 45 per square mile would be to many.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is a state statistic I saw in an Weyerhauser hunting mag...and I may have been wrong about the acre now that you say that, probably was square mile...that does seem a bit off, but you see deer every where...we have them running into houses and resturants almost monthly. You drive down the roads at night and can count 30-50 in no time even in city limits.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Need a hunting partner? [:D]
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Need a hunting partner? [:D]
    yep I'm in and I was wrong again as usual[:I]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Always looking for hunting partners![:D]
    Our archery season started Oct 1 and runs till November 21. Gun and primitive runs until the end of January. I am not sure of the numbers killed each year, but it seems in the last 10 years we have had a population explosion!