In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

broadheads

joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
what kind of broadhead do you guy use for bowhunting? expandable or fixed blade. i have these true fire expandables that the tip of the broadhead gets pushed in when it hits the deer and causes the blades to expand. any of you guys use something similar?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What heads are you shooting this year. Anyone have any experience with rage broad heads on elk? I am newer to bow hunting but thinking either toxics or rage
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, I heard that the compact bows out today that are super fast, need to have a mech. broadhead in them instead of a fixed broadhead, in order for them to fly correctly. and if you attempt to use a fixed, you HAVE to have a helical on the fletchings.....Is this true? I wonder cause I am having trouble getting my broadheads to fly true, and yes, my bow has been paper tuned.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, We have the bow survey, and the whisker biscuit survey, Time for a broadhead survey. How many use mechanical. I use a fixed blade.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Strictly fixed blade here for deer. I shoot a G5 Striker, and have had great success with them. I tried the Rage, and had very poor performance from them. Mostly they where dull and I could not get them to take an edge.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer fixed blade as well. I actually use a very inexpensive 100 grain broadhead called a "Terminator". It is very accurate and affordable. They fly just like a field tip and leave a huge wound channel.

Just my .02 worth.

I'd say use whatever your bow shoots well. I do not like expandables because of the chance of mechanical failure.

Regards, Don
  • Options
    edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    Fixed blades as well. I am shooting steelforce phat heads
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always trying different types... Used rage 2-blade on last one but had sharpened it prior with a broad-head sharpener my neighbor loaned to me..Lost a deer last year with them. Like Muzzies alot..
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    The ones I use were just bought out from Trophy Ridge. Ultimate Steel in 125 Grains, origanally Rocket. They are a 3 blade fixed. Never really liked expandables.
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    fixed blades...two blade zwickey for me...they haven't failed in 30 years of hunting...why change[;)]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I generally try a different head every year just cause I can. I bought slick tricks last year. Still using them. No other head I've tried to til last year blew threw like they have for me. You can also buy replacement blades for like $11 that will do 3 heads.
  • Options
    MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thunderhead 100's. Its the only broadhead I've ever really used. I tried the Spitfire expandables one year. Work great on two bucks I shot...just not so good on a bear. Expandables just arent for me. I went back to the thunderheads and I havent had a problem. Fixed blade is the way to go, just make sure you hit the spot.
  • Options
    wvhuntwvhunt Member Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fixed, I killed one last year with a 100gr muzzy 4blade, deer dropped within 10 yards. Magnus shoots great out of my bow but have had bad luck wiht them, however im giving them another try. I have some crimson talons those things look killer however i need my fletching to match the twise of the blades, if not it makes to much noise.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Expandables for me, I use hammerheads by Rocket.
  • Options
    tcleartclear Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot the 2 blade rage until last year and absolutel LOVED them. I never had a deer go more than 50. I took a trip last year with the bow and the outfitter does not allow any mechanical broadheads. Him not allowing them made me switch back to fixed this year. I went with the trophy ridge that were already discussed here (Ultimate Steel in 125 Grains). Unfortunately I did not get to try them on the trip (saw some bruisers, but nothing in range). I did take the 8 I shot this year with them. Tough for me to judge them from that shot, it being 8 yards, but he did not go 35 yards b efore laying down and dying. I plan on trying them out on a doe a little later this year.
    I was also very impressed with the number that Striker G5's did on the doe that my buddy took.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    slick tricks are a great head. [;)]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am using mechanicals with no rubber band on them. They hit in the same spot as target points and closed blades so I guess it is now a floppy eared fixed blade.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    slick tricks are a great head. [;)]

+1. I'm sold ... I have a friend that is pro staffer from various hunting sponsors that drilled a giraffe from one of his African Safaris this year @ 41 yards using a 100gr slick trick ... not sure of his arrow shaft configurations but his using Mathews Reezen 7 @ maxed draw weicht. All that was sticking out was the shaft. The giraffe has almost 2 inch thick hide but was dead in ~ 3 minutes.

His PH called the slick trick "RED CROSS" [}:)].
  • Options
    PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm set on my 4-blade, 100 gr muzzy's