In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lost one

buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
Took My buddy to my new spot where the doe was killed last week. We only hunt this spot one hunt per 7 days . right at day break a doe busts out of a cat tail swamp where my stand is set up no shot offered. I probley would not have shot anyway. Thinking a buck was not far behind. about 1/2 hour later I see a deer get my bino's out to see it's a hudge doe headed right for my bud. I call him on the two way he sees her she got about 40 yards and just casually turns. never spooked. he calls me and says shes comming your way. once again shes 60 yards just feeds then enters the cattail grass area.
about 1 hour passes and he calls me big buck comming from the pines . dont call me on the radio. 5 min later he calls and says $##% I hit him at 35 yards but the shot was far back. I thought Crap.
he was shook up. I told him listen its still early lets just sit stay cool. . damb That dude couldent shut up at that point.
I said listen let him bed it might take 5-6 hours before we look.
3 hours later he called me. i told him not long enough.
Then I made the worst mistake I said ok lets see what you have for blood. I got down made my way to him. he stayed in the stand while I went to the spot where the deer was shot. lots of tall swampy grass.
man I was impressed on hoe he knew exactly where he shot and where the deer ran after 10 yards good blood... I said ok get down he did
OK lets move real slow. well blood all over. easy to follow. after 20 yard i find the arrow bright red blood looked great. still a goos trail. All this time moving real slow looking ahead. blood trail slows. find a bed some blood a pile of congeled blood. then afew drops. then another bed. very little blood. then none[:(]about 25 yards of tracking by leaves and prints found one leave with a good splash of blood. then it all turned bad. No more blood hands and knees not a clue small tehn larger circles from last blood Nothing.. I look at his face and saw he was feeling real bad I re assured him we wold find the buck. I pulled every tracking trick I know out of my hat. Nothing. we then went to grid search 2 hours turned up nothing. Except he found a nice 10 point shed.. I know this has been long winded but man i really wanted him to find that deer. In short i blame my self. I knew 3 hors was not long enough to wait and got ancious partly for him but when the blood was so good we slowly pushed on. should have backed out and most likley would have found the buck in the second bed.
The shed he found was like a 130 deer and said this one was just a bit larger. great bow deer his biggest ever. Bummer... [:(]

Comments

• Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sucks dude !

It has happened to all of us at one time or another...

At least you looked hard...

Go back as soon as you can and listen for the crows. If its dead, thats where the deer will be !

I shot a doe last weekend...double lunged, and went about 75 feet.
    Good eats !!!
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nyforester
    That sucks dude !

It has happened to all of us at one time or another...

At least you looked hard...

Go back as soon as you can and listen for the crows. If its dead, thats where the deer will be !

I shot a doe last weekend...double lunged, and went about 75 feet.
    Good eats !!!
    congrats on your deer. I guess thats bow hunting.75 feet thats cool did you see her drop? thats the coolest when then they pile up in sight. it's like 'yea baby" very happy for you and great job.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, did not see her fall....but heard her. Yep...good feeling.

I shot a small buck last year in the morning. Hit was a little back. After the deer walked off, I slipped out and left the woods. I came back about 3 hours later. After about an hour of hands and knees....I did locate the deer still alive.

Long story short.....I did kill the deer at 2pm after a foot chase.
    I had gut shot that deer. Never did find the arrow. Looked at the stand for over and hour. Was not in the deer either.

Situations like this make you a much more patient hunter always looking for a quick clean kill shot. I never want to go through that again.

Last years deer
    2007_12266-Pointer0004.jpg
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    That sucks. IT does happen though.
    Congrats Forester on your doe. I was lucky enough to see my second doe pile up this year in the bean field after running 50 yards. My first on only ran 20. I saw her start to go down but had a tree in my way to see the whole thing.
  • Options
    tcleartclear Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never an easy situation! Been there and lost one, but I also had 1 I recovered. It was the first buck I ever took. We rushed the follow up even though I knew it was a bad hit because we had rain coming. We looked hard for 3 days and found no other sign after bumping him from his bed the night of the shot (mostly due to the hard rain that we got). Nothing turned up after 3 days of walking that property. My dad, diligent as he was, wanted to take one more walk on the other side of the highway that divided the property we hunted 3 days later on a Sunday. Sure enough, found the buck in a bed on the high side of a ridge. He was pretty bad after 6 days, but taxidermist put a new cape on him for me. First buck as a 12 year old with the bow. Don't give up. Keep walking your known bedding areas. If it was a mortal wound he is out there!