In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New bow

T1jetmechT1jetmech Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
Shot my new to me bow last night. Mathews LX. Got it used for $400 complete with sight, rest, quiver. It was a 04 model used 1 season. Sold my older Hoyt Intruder for $200 with the works on it and also all the arrows. Trying carbons this year. Gold Tip Hunters. Impressed with it so far. 3 months to go.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I don't even want to start the "which bow is better" fight...I am shooting a whole lot of different bows and trying to figure out which one is best for me. I broke my right elbow in march and tore the tendons real bad...since then I have been trying to get the arm strength back but it just isn't there...thinking a bow with greater let off will help. Plus these newer bows maintain speed even with lighter draw weights...the days of "macho" draw weight are over for me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been using the same old bow for the last 4 or 5 years and i have been considering getting a PSE or fred bear but am not sure what model any ideas?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Heard Horton is now making a compound bow. It it is as good as the crossbow it could be a dandy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey everybody! Long time no see!! How has everyone been?

Has anyone shot the Matthews Switchback? I was just looking at one on the Matthews website. How does it compare to the Outback?

Thanks guys (and gals)

KungFu.gif
    Opinions are like azzholes, eveyone's got one, and this just happens to be mine!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ive need a new bow, growing out of mine, have a Browning Micro Adreanline, love the bow but def. need a new one, i really like hoyts and brownings, what is a good choice for under $650
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey guys,i've bow hunted for 15 years i love it.the bow i've got now i've had for 6 years,i'm thinking of buying a new one whats hot right now?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just shot the new bow.

Does anyone really read these post, or am I all alone???

muss
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just shot the new bow.

Does anyone really read these post, or am I all alone???

muss
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got it today, arrived at like 2:30 pm, got everything on it, nocked it, and put a peep sight in ( which for a brand new string is mighty tough) shot it three times at 5 yards, then 3 times at ten yards...I was 2 inches low and an inch to the right at 5, and dead on at 10! [8D] WHOO HOO!

Proud shooter of a FRED BEAR VAPOR 300!(by team realtree)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well all you guys got me thinkin'. I need a new one haha but i am 18, headin to school in the fall, and work at mc-e-dees-. I cannot spend 400+ on a bow like matthews or hoyt. I WOULD LOVE TO, just can't afford it lol. I looked at pse but it seems any bow company that is in my range 200-250 doesn't make any decent bows. Any input?
    Thanks,
    Anthony (A.GUN)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Will Mathews has come out with their New 07 hunting bow called DRENALIN.[8D]....Looks like a new toy maybe bought[:D]

www.mathewsinc.com check it out[:)]
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by T1jetmech
    I don't even want to start the "which bow is better" fight...I am shooting a whole lot of different bows and trying to figure out which one is best for me. I broke my right elbow in march and tore the tendons real bad...since then I have been trying to get the arm strength back but it just isn't there...thinking a bow with greater let off will help. Plus these newer bows maintain speed even with lighter draw weights...the days of "macho" draw weight are over for me.
    my vote although its not new would be the switchback xt
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My advice is buy the bow that shoots well for you and don't look at the name on it.

Most bows out today will offer 75-80% let off. If that is not enough for you, look at the draw loc. It attaches to any bow and holds it drawn for you. Makes it similar to a crossbow, and requires a permit in most states but would allow you to get out shooting or hunting this year.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah the draw loc is actually illegal here for archery. You have to be disabled or 65 to use it or a crossbow during archery and they make the permit process so hard for the crossbows it almost isn't worth it.

I have heard great things about the switchbacks, but I have also heard that Mathews bows are not very forgiving on off shots. But I am sure as with most anything else, practice it long enough and it would not let you down.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Sounds to me like your off to a good start if your shooting many different ones. Sorry to hear about your injuries. Hope you find a good bow for you and get ole freak nasty laid out on the ground. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks bang...if I have questions, at least I can ask here instead of a dedicated manufacture web site.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Like said before you are off to a good start trying all of the brands and models. You might want to focus on the ones with a longer brace height with the injuries you've stated. They will be more forgiving.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Chief...I will keep that in mind. I am going bow shopping this weekend. There are some great places around here that will let you shoot what they have on the floor.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shot a few more brands this weekend, and liked two of them really well. While I was shooting, I was listening to a friend tell a story of his release failing while hunting, causing him to miss a doe. My thinking would be to get two releases of the same and practice with one and hunt with the other. Thoughts?
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I've never had a release fail. I shoot alot but I know that many others here shoot tons more than I.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shot a Hoyt Alphamax 35 today...blew the others I have shot away with a whisper! Only thing is, they are proud of 'em.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The AM is a nice bow. Just a few things to remember about a Hoyt... I know from experience. I have a Vectrix.

The cams must be in time! As the string and cables stretch you will be taking it back to get the cams timed. If the shop knows what they are doing this is not a big deal, but a PITA sometimes.

They run 3 strings... String, buss cable, and control cable. When you replace them, there are more to replace. That goes for any two cam bow. Usually the price comes out similar to a single cam bow as they are shorter than that on the single cam.

Hoyts are a tough bow. They are very well built, and take a lot of abuse. Mine sure has.

Good luck. Also there will be more models coming out in the next month or so. I see Mathews has the 7X out now, as well as a 7" Monster and another I am forgetting right now. Hoyt has the Maxxis and Carbon Matrix series out too. I have not shot any of these, so I have no comment on them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks DC, very good info. I am headed out on Veterans day to some archery spots in Alabama. Hopefully will be shooting a good number of different bows.