In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

first hunt

ginnyginny Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
Still trying to get that first deer. New to archery, little harder than shooting a gun, just the same its all in the aim, right. Please give me the gumption to know when I pull on that buck ill hit him right. Dont have any problems with the guns. Just dont want to have to track that sucker too far. The hills here are steep, gonna be shooting from a gorge valley. Wish me luck;
Ginny

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Good luck! Just wait for'em to get close, Aim for the vitals and let'er fly. Last year I didn't have a kill over 12 yrds, only 1 down this season but it was shot at 10 yrds.
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck on your hunt Ginger[8D][8D]

Any way you can utilize a horse to get the deer out?

I use a 2 wheel drive motorcycle called a Rokon. It works pretty good. I used to use my son, but he grew up and moved out and does not get to hunt much with me anymore. Too busy chasing the ladies.

Regards, Don
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DONDALINGER
    Good luck on your hunt Ginger[8D][8D]

Any way you can utilize a horse to get the deer out?

I use a 2 wheel drive motorcycle called a Rokon. It works pretty good. I used to use my son, but he grew up and moved out and does not get to hunt much with me anymore. Too busy chasing the ladies.

Regards, Don

ive been loking at them things, the rokons. how do they work? the fairly powerfull? what drives the front tire?
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Rokon does really well for what it is designed to do. It has a 3 speed transmission (CVT). Top speed is only 30mph. It is like a tank. Will climb like a goat. Has low end torque. Think "tortoise and hare". The front tire is driven by a shaft through the frame to a miter box mounted above the front tire. Final drive to the front tire is #40 roller chain. The Rokon pulled a 150# buck straight up the side of a ridge back in November. Kind of expensive, but it will go where a quad cannot go.

Regards, Don