In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Got the ole' Recurve out!

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
Man, it has been some time since I got my recurve out and shot it. I keep telling myself I am going to get it out and practice with it so I can feel comfortable enough to get a archery tag. Took it out this weekend and loosed about 50 arrows.

Man, I forgot how much fun it is shooting it! [8D] I also shot a heck of a lot better then I thought I would. I made a goal for myself to shoot at least 200 arrows/week until next season and I think I will be ready. Mainly have to work on my mechanics and consistantcy.

Jon

Comments

• Options
    green milegreen mile Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is great. I am looking at going recurve rather than compound. Right now my Mathews rig is as accurate as a rifle, but then again it takes the fun and thrill out of shooting it. I like the idea of honing motor skills and the simplicity of it all, and when you shoot a deer, you did it not the sights, advanced mechanics of a compound bow, etc.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am 60 and have been shooting recurves since I was 10. A recurve is not a handicap or a challenge it is a more efficient hunting bow than a compound "in the right hands".
    Establish a correct consistent form. As you continue shooting your mind will "pattern memory" the flight of the arrow because you actually see the arrow fly. Next you will preceive the flight of the arrow prior to letting the arrow fly. As you reach this stage you will be able to determine if the arrow is on the correct flight "before" it strikes. To built these stages shoot at a small barely visible target against a large background, at various ranges in various shooting positions. Three arrows rest,, move 3 arrows rest, move. Walk about thru the woods, stump shooting or any thing that presents a unique shot. It is important you focus your attention on a very small point of impact. The center of the center the finest point you can preceive.
    Next begin hunting on woodchucks or similar high population species with the exact arrows, broadheads, clothing etc you use for hunting.
    When you have mastered these stages try shooting at lighted candles in total darkness.
  • Options
    BBQGUYBBQGUY Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sometimes shoot an old PSE compound instinctive. No sight, fingers and rest. Easier to hold for at full draw for us 60+ hunters that are new to instinctive shooting. Like my ROSS with release also. Just picked up a "like new" carnivore last month.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Certain compounds lend themselves better to instinctive shooting. Oneida Eagle is the best because of its' no cable/string cross and progressive assist. Next come large round two pulley bows. In any event make up a soft rug rest and shoot off the shelf as close to your wrist as possible. Doing so will allow you to more quickly memory flight the arrow.
    Strive to "establish a consistent triangle form. For a right hand shooter a imaginary line along your left arm combined with a line across your shoulder and the third line of the triangle is the arrow shaft. Your point of vision resides at the corner of this triangle and you will quickly learn where the arrow is pointed without actually looking down the shaft. Maintain the angles of this triangle by your shooting forum from all sorts of positions and you will master the bow.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No doubt a recurve is fun and traditional. Its just hard to go back after the wonders of compounds and then the rifle like accuracy of the crossbow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No doubt a compound and a crossbow are fun and traditional, its just hard to go back after the wonders of a mauser '06 topped with a burris rangefinding scope.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently developed a new training device for traditional archery.
    It reinforces the "aiming triangle" I discussed in previous post. Purchase a inexpensive pistol laser sight (ebay $19), the type that mounts to trigger guard. Mount a simple L shaped bracket to your bows beger bolt hole in handle, or tape bracket to handle if not available threaded hole. Get the laser sight as close to the arrow as possible. Next sight the bow, around 25yd in as you would a rifle. Shoot bow aiming at a bullseye and adjust laser beam to match arrow flight/impact. You will notice when you get it sighted in( which takes a while) that beam does not match line of arrow sight from nock point to arrow rest this is due to "archers paradox". Now practice by shooting against a plain large background not aiming at a specific bullseye but rather "try to hit the laser spot. You will quickly develop the ability to aim while you are drawing the arrow because you will be seeing the laser spot on the target while drawing.
    Laser sights have been used on compounds but in the capacity of replacing pins/etc. To my knowledge no one has mounted one on a recurve. If I were a manufacturer I would build it into the handle/riser. For a beginner this gives him/her a instant sense of just where the bow is aiming.