In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Archer - 15 yo- Recommendations?

cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
Son wants to start deer hunting w/ a bow. I've only been a Target Shooter- Field Archery mostly. Any suggestions for a first hunting bow? Try to keep it under $700. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Take him to as many bow shops that you can. Have him shoot as many brands of bows that will be in your price range. Then let him decide which one he likes. Which one feels "Right". There could be a "name" that he likes but another brand might be more accurate with him shooting.
    My son is the same age and I bought him the PSE Stinger I believe and he likes it. He doesn't have much time or make much time to shoot but he does pretty good with it.
    I shoot the BowTech Tomkat. When I bought it, it came as a package with rest, sights, and quiver for well under your price range.
    I'm very happy with it and killed 3 last year with it.[:D]
    But I'm comfortable shooting it. It also has a pretty long brace height, around 7-7 1/2". That might be something else too look at is the brace height.
    Good luck finding the right bow and good for you for getting your son set up.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a budget like that you have a lot of room for Jr...
    Take the Chiefs advice and get goin to the range and try out some gear.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I'm with chief too, with that budget you have lots and lots of choices. His suggestion is the best, go to different shops shoot everything he can let him decide what feels best in his hand. He may like the grip on one but not the draw cycle or visa versa. Shoot'em all and buy the one that "fits". Keep us updated if ya dont mind.

If your lookin for brand names, I'm sure I'll need help remembering them all. Mathews, Mission, Bowtech, Diamond, Hoyt, Reflex, Bear, PSE, Elite, New Breed, Martin, uh...I'm drawin a blank now. You really cant go wrong with any bow made today