In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Z7 or Monster 7

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am looking for a do-all bow. Target (indoor and out) 3-D, and hunting. I would lean to the Monster with the longer ATA, and normally prefer a bow with less reflex in the riser. I did find the Monster a little more harsh on the draw cycle, but it shoots great!

What do you say? Which one and why?

Comments

• Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The question is somewhat like asking for the do all rifle. There is so much out there. So how much do you want to spend? What are you going to hunt? What range of targets are you shooting.
    Generally speaking you could go to www.cabellas.com and look at the reviews and get baselines on barnet bows and hortons....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage
    The question is somewhat like asking for the do all rifle. There is so much out there. So how much do you want to spend? What are you going to hunt? What range of targets are you shooting.
    Generally speaking you could go to www.cabellas.com and look at the reviews and get baselines on barnet bows and hortons....

Not to sound stuck up, but I am looking at top end models, and absolutely no crossbows.

As for game I am hunting, could range from deer, elk, turkeys, and more. Ranges... 0 to 100+ yards for targets outdoor, and usually 20 for indoor. The money is not a big issue. I just want to be real happy with it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the clarity. Matthews are among the finest. Here is a link to a discussion on the 2 you mentioned...
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1115773
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    quote:Originally posted by wpage

Not to sound stuck up, but I am looking at top end models, and absolutely no crossbows.

As for game I am hunting, could range from deer, elk, turkeys, and more. Ranges... 0 to 100+ yards for targets outdoor, and usually 20 for indoor. The money is not a big issue. I just want to be real happy with it.
    Z7 hands down
    Z7002.jpg
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    dude who did the grip on your bow? Its not a tronjo grip is it. love that stab. too, thats sweet. That there makes me wanna go shoot the Z7.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Z7 does appeal since the bows specs are similar however the z is compact which gives it hunting advantages.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Some of the things I like better about the M7 are:

Less reflex in the riser. This can sometimes lead to a side to side torque problem. Mu current bow will do that, as does all the others I have shot.

Longer ATA. I do a lot of target shooting. Target bows are all long ATA. They seem to be easier to keep vertical and not cant left or right. Also the string angle is cut down. The M7 is not all that long anyway. The Z7 is just real short. The Z does seem to shoot like a bow with a longer ATA than it really has. In the end there is only 3.5" difference anyway.

The bad of the M7.... It is more aggressive on the draw than the Z. I could see an issue if you where near your max comfort zone on draw weight, and then get cold in a treestand. If I go with a M7 it will be a 50lb DW bow. The Z will be a 60lb. I hope it would make nearly the same speed with the arrows I shoot.

My plan now is to have the local shop set up one of each and shoot both at their indoor range, and take out to the outdoor club and see how they behave. The owner of the shop already told me he would do this for me. I have not shot them side by side, but the Z7 seemed to have less noise on the shot, and the M7 seemed to have more vibration. The vibration may be cut down with a dead end. That could help with some of the noise too. I will have to see.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Matthews makes best quality bows. So either one is a top choice. After you make your trial if you could report back I would like to know which one you picked and why.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    dude who did the grip on your bow? Its not a tronjo grip is it. love that stab. too, thats sweet. That there makes me wanna go shoot the Z7.
    Thats a bob lambeth grip he does awsome work prices are good too. let me know I can hook ya up
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think I am going with the Monster 7. I hope to order it by the end of the month. All black, with an Axcel Armertech HD PRO sight, Downforce rest, dead end string stop, T5 quiver, new case, arrows.... Pretty much a new rig top to bottom. I will re-use my 3-D and target stabilizers. I'll post some pictures when it is all up and running.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think I am going with the Monster 7. I hope to order it by the end of the month. All black, with an Axcel Armertech HD PRO sight, Downforce rest, dead end string stop, T5 quiver, new case, arrows.... Pretty much a new rig top to bottom. I will re-use my 3-D and target stabilizers. I'll post some pictures when it is all up and running.

It's ordered. 3-7 weeks for delivery. Also I was not aware of the "up-charge" for black. $70 more for the bow, and $30 for the strings.... That sucked! Now the bow price is $1K.

On the bright side, I may be working part time at the shop in 2 months. I doubt I'll make any money working there. Just burn it up in equipment.
  • Options
    edited November -1

It's ordered. 3-7 weeks for delivery. Also I was not aware of the "up-charge" for black. $70 more for the bow, and $30 for the strings.... That sucked! Now the bow price is $1K.

On the bright side, I may be working part time at the shop in 2 months. I doubt I'll make any money working there. Just burn it up in equipment.
    congrads best wishes with the new bow
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That was the fastest 3-7 weeks I have ever heard of. More like 7 days! It is here.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1