In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New to bow hunting

TexasSSTexasSS Member Posts: 307 ✭✭
My brother just talked me into bow hunting this year but ,hes not much help in the equipment department. Im looking for a bow but unlike firearms I have no idea where to start with any of it. Any advice as far as what to look for, things to stay away from would be great. Also, what kind of price range can I expect to be in with a full kit (arrows, sight, bow, quiver, etc...) for something DECENT. Dont want to break the bank if possible.

Comments

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,199 ******
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the addiction. Go to a couple of bow shops and try out the bows in your price range. Then, choose the one that you feel more comfortable shooting. The more comfortable you are, the better you will shoot and trust it. There are many good brands out there and everyone has their own opinion.
    I like my BowTech while others swear by their Hoyt, Mathews, PSE, etc.
    For a beginner a whisker biscuit rest might be a plus. Also look for a bow with a longer brace height. It will be more forgiving. Good luck and happy shopping.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    He hit the nail on the head. Best thing to do is go shoot some. kind of like buyin a new car go test drive and pick the one you like or are comfortable with. I also agree with the whisker biscuit rest. Be very careful tho, this is an addiction! [:D] Keep us posted on what you decide on.

Price range, like firearms, can range. You could go from a few hundred up into the thousand range. My first bow I bought used with everything for $150. The one I have now back when it was new, with everything all said and done I was around the $1100 mark. you can get cheaper again just depends on what you want.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 years ago I got my wife into archery. Her rig all set up was bout $600. That was for a Mission X3, Cobra sidewinder sight, QAD drop away rest, GT XT hunter arrows, Alpine quiver, case, release, and all. That is a great mid range setup.

My new one I don't even want to think about the cost... approaching $1800 now, but that is the best of everything.

I would suggest you go to a pro shop to get fitted, and try bows. Draw length is very important, and the right shop will be able to get you on track. Also go try lots of bows. My last was a Hoyt because I liked it best at the time. The new one is a Mathews Monster 7, because I like it best now. Who knows what the next will be...

Check out the classifieds on archery talk. Most there are really good to deal with, and it is a good way to get some used equipment. Also try to get to some local ranges, and events. Most archers will offer lots of advice, and maybe let you shoot a few from their setup. Good luck!
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All good advice. Stick to the basics. Do some research. Then make your buy. There is lots of nice equipment out there. Take your time and go to a range and talk to some folks.
  • Options
    CgullCgull Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that you should try different models and chose what feels best in your price range. I would consider a quality full capture drop away. Wisker biscuts are ok but they do have some negatives. Buy the best you can afford, you wont be sorry!