In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wanting to return ...

Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
to field and hunting archery after an extended sabbatical.

Learned to shoot and hunt archery, near enough on my own as a pre-teen with borrowed equipment.

Got seriously involved when I was able to save up and purchase my first recurve bow when about 15 years of age ... then had to save up for all the paraphernalia. Shot compulsively near daily until traveling to the tropics of Asia on my Uncle Sam's dime.

When I returned from the service I shot and hunted for several years and enjoyed it all. When I moved to the North Country I thought otherwise about hunting with the bow. Figured that I'd have been a meal probably before even a well placed arrow would manage to put down a bruin.

Many years have passed, now living where I have no worries about running into Alaskan bruins. Been thinking that I ought to get back into archery shooting ... but having difficulty jumping back into it. It would be quite the commitment.

I have my first and last compound bow, an old Wing. Have some so so recurve huinting bows. The vanes or fletching on all of my remaining arrows ... all very sorry. They look worse for wear after all these years than I do ... and that is might sorry!

Any honest, sensible and helpful suggestions on how an older geezer might get back into archery ... how to make the big make the big jump back into it all?

Comments

• Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You just have to do it. You will have to check out the new bows and see what you like in a bow. They have all changed greatly even since 2000. I have (and like) a Mathews Monster 7. Not the bow for everyone, but defiantly a winner for me. There is a bow for every shooter and every budget. I may be able to point you in a direction if I know what you are looking for.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I agree with dcso, ya just gotta do it. Like he said bows have changed sooo much. I'm guessin bows probably didnt have the 80% let off when you hunted that they do now.
    I also shoot a Mathews but I shoot the SBXT, but there are soo many good bows out there now you really cant go wrong. Get your old geezer rear end to a shop and try a few. [:D] if ya dont have a shop near give us a little more info and we'll do what we can to steer ya the right direction