In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pissed off Bowhunter

hillbillyKYhillbillyKY Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
Recently my son started bow hunting, when he shoots his bow with field tips he is dead on the target, and then he puts his broad heads on, he is all over the place, can anyone help him with this?? I hope this is enough information,[8D] because i am not a bow hunter..Thank you...

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Make sure the field tips and broadheads weigh the same.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A broadhead is like a wing on the front of an arrow. They fly, turn, corkscrew and can do all kinds of moving around. You didn't mention the arrow weight or length so specific advice is not possible. You must by experimentation find a brand and type of broadhead that will fly true with your setup. Start by matching the broadhead weight with your accurate field point weight. Arrow stiffnes or "spine" will play a role in this too. When you find something that seems to work, have some arrows with practice broadheads on them and then practice, practice, practice.
  • Options
    plasmacamplasmacam Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure your field tips and broad heads are the same weight
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What mbsams said and you can look at fletching/vane changes as well. Vanes attached to the arrow in a helical/twist will normally help with stabilization. Wider and longer vanes can help too. Best bet is to get your son and his bow to a bow shop to help with the set up. I've got to the point of pulling my hair out with various things like this regarding my bow. Finally broke down and took it to a pro and they frequently fix it or at least know what to do within a matter of minutes. Good luck.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Folding (mechanical) B-heads are usually more stable than fixed blades are (reduced "wing" area). Also, the larger the cutting blade the more it will influance the flight of the arrow.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always end up tuning my arrow/broadhead combination, so the vanes and blades align. I always use a 3 blade Thunderhead 125 grain too. As with a rifle, there are so many things to be aware of. Make sure you post this question over in the bowhunting forum too.

Best
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Peirson Cobra circa 1995 that had this exact problem. The issue didn't exist until I went with an overdraw. After that, my broadheads actually fish-tailed in the air where my target points flew straight. I eventually had to switch to a different broadhead and the issue went away. They were the same weight...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    In this forum we limit posts to just ten and this question is likely going to need more than that. We have a dedicated archery forum and I am going to move you over there for increased response.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    because you seemto be new to hunting with a bow my best advise is to bring the bow toa bow shop and make sure it is tuned properly for him.
    it's really hard there can be several things causing this same problem..
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I agree with Buckey, get it to a bow shop and make sure its tuned properly. I'll also agree with be sure the field tips and broad heads weight the same. Could be many different things. starting with making sure the bow is tuned proper would be a good place to start