In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

making a target

fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
edited September 2010 in Bow Hunting and Target Archery
Got my oldest son one of those beginner bow sets and need a target for him to shoot. I saw those big styrofoam blocks for around $20 but I figured there must a much more cost effective way to make a target.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Large box, seed bags stuff in them, works well and free. That is, if you have large boxes and seed bags laying around.
  • Options
    one2hutnone2hutn Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you happen to have the room a pile of sand works excellent to stop arrows. Any bright paint can be used to make spots to aim at.
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few bails of hay work. I just paint it down.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    cats are always free.[:o)]

Ben
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We built some for our archery club a few years ago. They hold up great and after the initial investment of lumber are free. Ours cost just over $50 the first time around, but for home use the 2x12 could be reduced to 2x8, and also the size could be reduced to cut down lumber cost. Ours where anchored to 4x4 treated posts and suspended off the ground with 2x4's under the box, and lag bolted to the posts. I'll try to get a picture some time down the road.

We built a 5'x5.5' frame from treated 2x12's and faced front and back with old carpet. One improvement here is to use landscape geo-grid inside the carpet for durability. We used 1x2 to hold the carpet on the frame. Then stuff the inside with used plastic bags and shrink wrap.
    These have lasted a year or 2 at a time with a lot of use! The also stop even the fastest arrows and remove with ease. When the carpet is shot out, just replace with more free carpet. As for the plastic bags/shrink wrap inside it does break down some, but just top it off with more.
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    We built some for our archery club a few years ago. They hold up great and after the initial investment of lumber are free. Ours cost just over $50 the first time around, but for home use the 2x12 could be reduced to 2x8, and also the size could be reduced to cut down lumber cost. Ours where anchored to 4x4 treated posts and suspended off the ground with 2x4's under the box, and lag bolted to the posts. I'll try to get a picture some time down the road.

We built a 5'x5.5' frame from treated 2x12's and faced front and back with old carpet. One improvement here is to use landscape geo-grid inside the carpet for durability. We used 1x2 to hold the carpet on the frame. Then stuff the inside with used plastic bags and shrink wrap.
    These have lasted a year or 2 at a time with a lot of use! The also stop even the fastest arrows and remove with ease. When the carpet is shot out, just replace with more free carpet. As for the plastic bags/shrink wrap inside it does break down some, but just top it off with more.

Got any pics of your target , sounds interesting...bull
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bull300wsm

I'll get some tonight. Will be at the club for the monthly meeting, so I'll swing down to the range and grab one to post.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bull300wsm

Here you go... We have 4 of them on the practice range. A great compliment to the Genesis target at our club.

I see the carpet needs to be replaced on some. We are just going to limp them through the rest of this season and start new next year.

Here is a closer view.
    range1.jpg

The 4 of them... They may look crooked in the picture, but that is just the terrain and my crappy cell phone camera... Sorry. The older 3D targets are to be used for broadheads. That is why they look so bad.
    range2.jpg

And the rest of the range
    range3.jpg