In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best Broadhead? Your Opinion welcome.

Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
I've just got my first-ever Deer tag for Archery season, and am attempting to locate the best Broadhead available. Want a 100-grain model. I've heard that the Muzzy Phantom Fixed Blade Broadhead is a good choice, but would like to get other opinions.
Anyone want to chime in?

Comments

• Options
    MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot the muzzy phantoms out of my longbow. They just seem to fly good for me. Out of a fast compound I think there are much better choices out there. I've shot thunderhead 100's for almost 20yrs and continue to. I've killed dozens of deer and 3 bears with them. They fly good from all my setups. Right now Im shooting a Reezen7. The only bear I ever lost was with a mechanical head (spitfire). I was never a fan of mechanicals but shot a doe last year with a 2 blade rage. Very impressive. Devastating wound. Didnt get a pass through though. It hit the opposite shoulder, but she didnt go 30 yrds and piled up. I think i may switch to the rage. I also like the entire line of G5 broadheads but their mechanicals are not legal here in NY.
  • Options
    MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MrGunz22
    I shoot the muzzy phantoms out of my longbow. They just seem to fly good for me. Out of a fast compound I think there are much better choices out there. I've shot thunderhead 100's for almost 20yrs and continue to. I've killed dozens of deer and 3 bears with them. They fly good from all my setups. Right now Im shooting a Reezen7. The only bear I ever lost was with a mechanical head (spitfire). I was never a fan of mechanicals but shot a doe last year with a 2 blade rage. Very impressive. Devastating wound. Didnt get a pass through though. It hit the opposite shoulder, but she didnt go 30 yrds and piled up. I think i may switch to the rage. I also like the entire line of G5 broadheads but their mechanicals are not legal here in NY.

Try a few in your bow and see what works best with your setup. Muzzy makes great heads, G5, thunderheads and slick tricks are nice too. I also like the new bloodrunners from NAP but have no experience with them. Goos luck!!
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    lots of good heads out there shot placement is key I happen to shot slick tricks and like them alot
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm done with mechanical heads. Had 2 of 3 Rage heads break on deer. If I where to shoot a mechanical head it would be the Bloodrunner. I used Muzzy 3 blade for a few years with no complaints. I have been shooting the G5 Strikers for 3 years now. Best head I have ever tried by far. Flies great, and cuts like mad. Also the Striker is the sharpest head out of the package I have ever seen. That was the worst part about the Rage for me... very dull, and the tip would not take an edge with any type of sharpener.
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    i still use the old two blade zwicky head, po cedar arrows and a longbow...simply works for me[;)][8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I went and picked up a set of Thunderhead 125-grain fixed broadheads...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=2774118891

Went to Town Hall Archery Saturday. They looked at my 15+ year old Bow and said it was in really good shape. Will prolly need to change the string in a year or so. Spent some time on their range. Had to adjust the sight as am now using 125-grain field points. After a few adjustments, I had a 3 inch grouping of 4 shots at 20-yards.........

Need to get out to a longer range and get sighted-in at 30 and 40 yards now.
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 4 blade 100 gr. muzzy is hard to beat. It wont break.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have a few spots scouted at Rend Lake, Il and am heading out there for the Columbus Day weekend. Paid for a couple of Turkey tags as well, just in case. Gonna take the family and stay out at the lake in our trailer and just have a good time whether I get a shot or not.
    I wish everyone the best luck. Game On.
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Naps Hellrazor fixed blades. Work for me. 100grain
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tech141
    Have a few spots scouted at Rend Lake, Il and am heading out there for the Columbus Day weekend. Paid for a couple of Turkey tags as well, just in case. Gonna take the family and stay out at the lake in our trailer and just have a good time whether I get a shot or not.
    I wish everyone the best luck. Game On.

Make sure you wear your blaze orange, this weekend is youth firearm season.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I used to try new heads every season. stopped when I started shootin slick trick. Rend lake huh? your not to far way, in fact I was down in 618 land last weekend.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you shooting compound, recurve, long bow, draw weight?
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    This question is like asking what caliber is best for deer. There are a thousand one choices. I personally prefer fixed blade over mechanical. Shot my first deer with a bow in 1968, Used the cheap single blade Fred Bear broad heads on cedar arrows. The kind you sharpen yourself. I was shooting a custom made recurve at 60lb draw weight. That deer walked maybe 10 yards and dropped dead.