In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Expandable broadhead

JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
Ive had it. I had a couple of mechanicals left and decided to try them again after several bad experiences. I had a perfect broadside shot at 27 yards and double lunged the deer. It ran off leaving absolutely no blood at impact or for the first 65 yards. It then bled normally and i found it at 120 yards. The entry hole was not epanded, nor was the exit hole. It went through both lungs, and between ribs, with virturally no expansion. Im through with expandibles and going back to Rocky Mt. or Thunderheads.If I would have been in heavy brush and not seen which way the deer ran it would have been lost. I have used four or five kinds of mechanicals and none are dependable shot after shot. They shoot nice, but are definately not effective 100 percent of the time. You can not convince me they are better than the good old broadheads , you just have to learn how to shoot them and possibly shorten up your range.

Comments

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the record it is not the bow Im using. I shoot 175 pound crossbow.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Check out the slick tricks.

Ben
  • Options
    Beer gutBeer gut Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never liked expandibles either had a couple bad experiences, was always a fixed blade guy. But recently I gave them one more try myself and used Rage 3 blade 100Gr. and had great success droped a 10 pointer 25yrd shot, quartering twords me so angled through the shoulder. Punched right through huge entrance hole decent exit, massive blood trail. I am going to continue to use them until they fail, my friends like them also.. But if you are truly done with expandibles Muzzy MX3's are awesome. I shoot a Mathews Monster XLR8 with 80 lbs draw though so I could probobly use anything.