.

Bow hunting during Gun season

Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
How many of you bow hunters continue to bow hunt even after gun season opens? I am just curious if the bow goes up and out comes the gun or what? Personally, I put the bow up and gun hunt. I may get it out again over the Thanksgiving weekend as it is opened up for antlerless deer.

I think it all depends on whether or not I get a nice buck with my rifle between now and then.

Bode

Comments

  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,191 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the meat locker. I prefer the gun if I did not score with the bow.
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still hunt with the bow through out the gun season. Most of the area that I hunt is "Bow Only". Its also alot easier around here to get permission to hunt if its bow only
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not legal to use a bow in WI during gun season. I do it here in MN, and took a decent buck last year half way through the gun season.
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, we can carry a handgun or rifle during bow season as long as we also have a bow with us.

    I like to carry a handgun with me but lately had gotten away from it but regretted that move when I shot that monster pig with my bow.

    We can also bow hunt during gun season and a lot of the guys do.

    Bode
  • Beer gutBeer gut Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Exactly depends on the meat locker.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 5,898 ******
    edited November -1
    Here we have a bow season that stops for the gun season. Our firearm season is split. Fri, Sat, and Sun. before Thanksgiving, Thurs.-Sun. the weekend after, and then, Muzzleloader the three day weekend after that. You can bow hunt the muzzleloader weekend.
  • oddball7465oddball7465 Member Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rifle season kicked off last weekend here in Tennessee. A buddy and I went hunting on my property, and while I hunted with a Marlin 30-30, he still hunting with his High Country Bow.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    Here we have a bow season that stops for the gun season. Our firearm season is split. Fri, Sat, and Sun. before Thanksgiving, Thurs.-Sun. the weekend after, and then, Muzzleloader the three day weekend after that. You can bow hunt the muzzleloader weekend.


    You can also bow hunt the last 2 late firearm seasons. Dec. 30 threw Jan 2 and Jan. 14 threw the 16. Bow is only closed the first 2 firearm seasons you mentioned.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to hunt with the .44 mag contender during the gun. I usually take one with the bow, and one with the gun. I don't eat any more than that.
  • brbowmanbrbowman Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bow hunt all the time unless it's raining
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    bow or pistol ever so often I grab the 06 [:D]
  • masterzenmasterzen Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Pa. and in the middle of archery season we have a youth and senior rifle hunt, and a muzzle loader hunt as well. This year I've been scoped in the open field, my friends were scoped while in tree stands. I don't like guns in archery season there to much danger of being shot. Our game commission looks out for there revenue to much and not for safety. Archery season should be just that, it's safer that way. If you prefer the rifle thats fine but watch what you are doing and don't scope out people thats what bino.s are for. SAFETY FIRST,LAST ALWAYS
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,191 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by masterzen
    I live in Pa. and in the middle of archery season we have a youth and senior rifle hunt, and a muzzle loader hunt as well. This year I've been scoped in the open field, my friends were scoped while in tree stands. I don't like guns in archery season there to much danger of being shot. Our game commission looks out for there revenue to much and not for safety. Archery season should be just that, it's safer that way. If you prefer the rifle thats fine but watch what you are doing and don't scope out people thats what bino.s are for. SAFETY FIRST,LAST ALWAYS

    Agree whole heartedly. Scoping someone with a gun is a crime.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    Not legal to use a bow in WI during gun season.

    I don't know where you heard this, but it is COMPLETELY erroneous. I'm a resident of WI and have in fact bow-hunted during the gun season. The blaze orange requirement applies to bow hunters during the gun season, other than that it's "game on".
  • bilwitbilwit Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bow hunt during gun season. I may break out the muzzleloader, but that's about it. Just stuck on that one shot mentality!
Sign In or Register to comment.