In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

what do you hunt with bows?

swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
i'm a pretty big fan of guns, but last time i walked into the local pawn shop looking for guns i noticed they had a few bows for sale, now i'm thinking about getting one when i'm back in the states. i'm wondering, what sort of critters lend themselves to being shot with a bow?

i know there's bow seasons for deer, but as i haven't shot a bow since cub scouts and i haven't hunted really at all, i don't think i'd be bowhunting deer right off the bat... so... what else? [:)]

Comments

  • Joes Custom GunsJoes Custom Guns Member Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can hunt anything with a Bow that you can with a Gun.
  • edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    I have taken deer, turkey and coyotes with my bow.

    One tip I have is to shoot your bow every chance you get. Even a couple arrows a day will help. And if you plan to hunt in the rain and wind go out and shoot on rainy days.
  • Joes Custom GunsJoes Custom Guns Member Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of Target Rifles DO NOT HAVE SAFTIES

    WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH A SAFTIE ON A TARGET RIFLE??
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Yep, you can hunt just about anything with a bow. even pheasant
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No safetys on high end trap guns either! Example BT 100
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Yep, you can hunt just about anything with a bow. even pheasant


    i saw a show on that. the azzhole was pheasant hunting with a recurve bow flu flu(SP) arrows and fricken field points. he shot 3 or 4 birds and you could see the blood running down the arrow but the bird flew 3-400 yards and he never said if hed found them or not. That to me is not ethical hunting and he should loose his license over it. what good reason is there for not using some sort of broadhead for that?
  • swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Yep, you can hunt just about anything with a bow. even pheasant


    i saw a show on that. the azzhole was pheasant hunting with a recurve bow flu flu(SP) arrows and fricken field points. he shot 3 or 4 birds and you could see the blood running down the arrow but the bird flew 3-400 yards and he never said if hed found them or not. That to me is not ethical hunting and he should loose his license over it. what good reason is there for not using some sort of broadhead for that?


    what's a field point? and would a blunted arrow work maybe instead of a broadhead?
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swopjan
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Yep, you can hunt just about anything with a bow. even pheasant


    i saw a show on that. the azzhole was pheasant hunting with a recurve bow flu flu(SP) arrows and fricken field points. he shot 3 or 4 birds and you could see the blood running down the arrow but the bird flew 3-400 yards and he never said if hed found them or not. That to me is not ethical hunting and he should loose his license over it. what good reason is there for not using some sort of broadhead for that?


    what's a field point? and would a blunted arrow work maybe instead of a broadhead?


    field point is the standard target point. used for practise in the back yard.
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can small game hunt with a bow, typically the only small game I shoot is squirrels during deer season due to boredom. Trying to take a turkey this season with the bow. It is fun and I suggest it to any gun hunter, I choose my bow 90% of the time.
  • rdbradleyrdbradley Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bull elk in the rut,archery only in september,my favorite.
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ground squirrels, Jackrabbits, Pheasant, Black-tailed deer, Mule deer, and Elk. It has all been enjoyable and eductional.

    Hunting with a bow for a season, I'd learn more about hunting in general than everything I had learned until then ( without the bow ). Each time that I hunted with the bow, I'd learn yet anoterh important pointer for bow hunting.

    My brother hunted more fish eels and birds in one year than I have all my life.

    Cousins used archery for hunting bullfrogs.
  • swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    i didn't realize people hunted that many kinds of game with bows. hunting birds seems like it would be extremely difficult to connect once you've found your target, unless you can get them on the ground.

    are eels good eating? congratulations on 2500 posts too, btw. you're not a senior any more, now you're "advanced"!
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regarding eels, I've never eaten them myself. I know that there are many people, at least when I was a kid, that specifically go after eels. Would seem that they would taste somewhere between snake and fish in general.

    I like eating most fish. I like the snake that I've eaten ... but learned not to dress and clean, and dook it up to eat it myself. That was too much for me. [?] [;)] [:(]
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    swopjan

    [;)] Thanks for the kudos. Yeah, right! I feel so different about near everything, from last month till this month ... ( and it has nothing to do with Osama, nor Obama! ) It must be from the sudden status and all. [;)]

    "what's a field point? and would a blunted arrow work maybe instead of a broadhead?"

    You are kidding right? If not, write to me and I will answer you. However, if you are serious, I will mention that fact that my bother and I tried many times to make blunts work ... we had used .38 and .357 Magnum brass for blunts. Trashed every single arrow that we tried that with ... they stop tooooooo quick!

    My broter used blunts for bird shooting, and that can work out OK ... but will cause tremendous damage ... and if that is to the breast area, it can make a mess.

    The archery bird blunts are more forgiving on the birds, and do not usually go through the bird ... it is the tremendous shock of it hitting the bird, that does the trick. [:)] [^] [8D]
  • swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Alan Rushing

    "what's a field point? and would a blunted arrow work maybe instead of a broadhead?"

    You are kidding right?


    totally serious. i've learned that when it comes to asking stupid questions, the sooner the better [8D] and i have no experience with archery whatsoever, so i have a plethora of stupid questions.
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    swopjan

    Hope that I did not sound negative to you ... quite the contrary intent. What little experience or knowledge I have I'd be happy to share anytime you'd like. Just let me know!

    I wasn't thinking anything stupid ... I'm used to other folk knowing more than me ( or figuring that they do [;)] ) ... and then getting * around some with surperfluous questions.

    If there is anything that you do not know ... and I have an answer or an opinion ... I'd be glad to share. I have way more opinions, than knowledge, about everything and nothing. [;)]

    I sent you an email ... did you receive? Let me know. Thanks.

    best, Alan
Sign In or Register to comment.