.

Need help buying a bow

ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
15 year old son wants a new bow. He measured for 28.5" draw and he is going to be needing around a 55# pull. What is the best direction to go in the $300.00 range. There will be a lot of target shooting and very little hunting.

Thx, AT

Comments

  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,191 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is so much its up to you. Go to cabellas.com and read some reviews. You could take him to a range and rent some different to give him a feel. Or a local bow shop for some advice...
  • edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    Check out {elsewhere} there is usually some on there when hunting season is over. I have an older PSE bow and it shoots great.

    What ever bow he gets it will take alot of practise to get real good so have him look into targets as well.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ATHOMSON
    15 year old son wants a new bow. He measured for 28.5" draw and he is going to be needing around a 55# pull. What is the best direction to go in the $300.00 range. There will be a lot of target shooting and very little hunting.

    Thx, AT



    I highlighted the above in red. You don't need a 55 pound bow for target shooting. When I was shooting 150 shots a day for 5 spot, my bow maxed out at 49 pounds.


    I would personally look for used bows on ebay or archerytalk. You need to make sure 28.5 is correct, because that seems awfully long for a 15 year old. I would look for a bow with some adjustment in the cam. Hoyt's cam 1/2 comes to mind, other manufacturers have similar cams.

    There is absolutely no reason you can find a 4 year old bow fully ready to roll at $300.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some window shopping at archery shops or sporting goods stores could prove to be good research for decision making.

    They could measure him at a few places. I have never been measured the same length in any place I ever went.

    Pulling a few new bows could get the length figured out.

    Just about every bow manufactor makes good bows. One thing to keep in mine. Every bow manufacture makes a * bow too. Ask around and see which models have been more reliable, user friendly, & durable.

    I have personaly had PSE's, AR's, Martin, Bear bows. My favorite bow that I have owned was a PSE F-2. Probly a 8-10 year old bow. Wish I had never got on the "I gotta have a new one" kick.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    quote:Originally posted by ATHOMSON
    15 year old son wants a new bow. He measured for 28.5" draw and he is going to be needing around a 55# pull. What is the best direction to go in the $300.00 range. There will be a lot of target shooting and very little hunting.

    Thx, AT



    I highlighted the above in red. You don't need a 55 pound bow for target shooting. When I was shooting 150 shots a day for 5 spot, my bow maxed out at 49 pounds.


    I would personally look for used bows on ebay or archerytalk. You need to make sure 28.5 is correct, because that seems awfully long for a 15 year old. I would look for a bow with some adjustment in the cam. Hoyt's cam 1/2 comes to mind, other manufacturers have similar cams.

    There is absolutely no reason you can find a 4 year old bow fully ready to roll at $300.
    Agree with all but the Hoyt part. [:D] My draw is only 28 you may wanna have that checked again to be sure.
  • ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He is 6'1" and finger tip to finger tip divided by 2.5 gave me a little over 28.5". I think I found a Bowtech Tribute completely decked out, arrows, case, sling, armguard, and release for $400.00.

    Thx, AT
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bowtech and Diamond are great bows.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ATHOMSON
    He is 6'1" and finger tip to finger tip divided by 2.5 gave me a little over 28.5". I think I found a Bowtech Tribute completely decked out, arrows, case, sling, armguard, and release for $400.00.

    Thx, AT



    Just to note, nothing against the bow. The Tribute is an unforgiving bow to form errors. Make sure he doesn't get discouraged in the beginning. I may go as far to say the tribute may not be a beginner's bow, but I am sure several have started out on it.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    That is a great shooter, very smooth. Best of luck to him
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 5,935 ******
    edited November -1
    Yep. I agree with what has been said. Find a bow that fits him and he feels comfy with. Get one with at least a 7" brace height. It'll cover up the little mistakes.
    I shoot Bowtech but got my son a PSE Stinger. It has some adjustability on length, very forgiving, and is a very nice bow for the money.
Sign In or Register to comment.