In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scored a 9 Tonight

Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
Hunted my Cass Co. property couple days. Saw lots of deer and turkeys but no shot.
Came home today and went out this evening.
Had a doe with a 6 chasing and then my 9 come out at 75 and feed in the corn.
Tried grunts and bleats but got nothing.
The 6 came towards me then wandered off, figuring that the 9 would kick his butt. [:D]
The doe for some reason headed my way. She walked out of the corn, into the crp, then to the timber by the river. She had walked to one of my lanes that was 32 yards.
She was in the timber when he decided to follow. Thought he'd take the same path but he stopped to chew on a limb and do a semi scrape and pee. When he was 2 steps from my lane I drew back, thats when the doe spotted me and took off across the river.
He looked at her, and then casually started walking. When he got to the opening I let her fly. Hit a little lower than I would of liked but it still looked good. He ran to the river bank, which is dry right now, and stopped. I could see the blood coming out but notched another arrow and let it fly too. He ran to the other side of the river and stood there for a minute then went down.
He's got a nice crab claw on one side and a super wide brow on the other.
I'm not happy with the pics i got of him but I did the best I could by myself.

Comments

• Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Like I said not happy with any of my pics. No chance for field pics and I hung and skinned my self.
    This is my biggest bow kill buck ever.
    I have bigger bucks on the wall that were muzzleloader, shotgun, and pistol.
    I skinned it to mount but doubt I do. He'd make a very nice european mount. even though he is my biggest bow buck I think I'll do better.
    I'm still very stoked about the whole experience.
    This was one of those times that it all fell into place.
    Words just can't express how great this night was.
    Chief.

[img][/img]bowbuck9.jpg
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations first off!

Appreciate the photos, thanks. When you are doing everything solo, it makes for everything being more difficult, including the photos.

The story makes it near enough to having been there watching you hunt.

European mount makes all sorts of sense. I figure that I would rather use the limited funds that I have for more hunting.

Otherwise one can give the hinting money to the taxidermierst and one gets to hunt less then!

What hunting can you go for yet this year?

Again congratulations.

PS: By the way, that is a ten-pointer to many.
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Awesome!! Good job on a nice looking buck! [:D]
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    wtg cheif awsome deer
    edited November -1
    Thanks all. I can still get one more buck with either bow or gun. Illinois limits you to 2 bucks. Can still shoot as many does as have tags. I have gun tags for 2 different counties and another set of bow tags. The next buck will either be a mount or a cull. Getting close to be set for meat for the year.
    I did find that my 4 wheeler ramps made it real easy to slide my sled up to the back of the truck. Have no idea why I've never thought of it before. Must be getting smarter in my old age. [:D]
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chief, you probably don't need much more of it, you seem to be "lucky" enough and skilled enough . . . but good luck to you on the balance of your deer hunting this season! [;)]

Figure that as we age we want to impress ourselves and others less and less by brute strength and weak minds. Some call that wise and the practice wisdom. [:)]

Keep us informed of your hunting if you would, it is appreciated. [^]
  • edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    Great looking dear congrats.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Congrats!!

It seems way to early but I've seen what I believe to have been some chasing the other night, I ,in fact, almost hit the buck as he started to run out into the road. He was so focused he didnt even look at the truck until I was almost completely stopped. seems odd to see that this early but who am I to say. I just need to hunt more. [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Congrats!!

It seems way to early but I've seen what I believe to have been some chasing the other night, I ,in fact, almost hit the buck as he started to run out into the road. He was so focused he didnt even look at the truck until I was almost completely stopped. seems odd to see that this early but who am I to say. I just need to hunt more. [:D]

This dude was right on her path. Saw a absolute giant in Cass Friday evening doing the same. I saw a doe and ten minutes later here came the buck. Same trail nose down. Does seem early tho.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Saw a big buck with a doe this morning, 1 mile from where i hunt. I was suppose to be "sick" today, I cleared it yesterday however I have never called in sick when I really wasnt and my conscience wouldnt let me today either. Gettin off early tho
    edited November -1
    Another view

[img][/img]buck11.jpg
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way to go chief! Nice buck.
  • BBQGUYBBQGUY Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice buck chief! Thanks for the story also. I feel like I was there.
    A skull cap mount with his own hide is nice also. I do my own because it is really easy. So far I only have one doe but my son got his first buck with a bow last saturday.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BBQGUY
    Nice buck chief! Thanks for the story also. I feel like I was there.
    A skull cap mount with his own hide is nice also. I do my own because it is really easy. So far I only have one doe but my son got his first buck with a bow last saturday.

Congrats to you and to him. Post some pics.