.

Good night on Lake Shelbville

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭
I got to the woods late. I caught 4 deer out in the open and they caught me as well.

They headed north back into the woods and I snuck in the south end. I was in my climber for about 15min and here they come....I out smarted them:)

They came down the hill and all ate and played about 50yrds from me. Was nice to have them close enough to enjoy watching them that long.

About 30min later here comes a buck. He was decent sized in the body and only had half a rack, busted off left side.

He dilly dallied around with the does sniffing and chasing. When the wind gust layed down I gave him a snort weeze with my mouth.

This got his attention, he slowly walked through the bushes and brush right to me. He stopped in the brush about 20yrds broadside. I could've let on rip, but I decided it was his lucky day.

I figured I had already won since he had fallen for my call & walked right to me.

Today is my birthday and I just didn't fell like shooting a buck w/ one side.

Was a good night and I enjoyed spending some time in the tree & watching the deer.[:)][^]

Comments

  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the good report. [^]

    You didn't have to worry much about spooking them today ... taking no shots and all! [:0] [;)] [B)]

    Where are the photos? [?]
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Alan Rushing

    Thanks for the good report. [^]

    Where are the photos? You didn't have to worry muvh about spooking them today ... taking no shots and all! [:0] [;)] [B)]


    Bow season breaks today and this weekend for firearm season( shotgun slug, muzzleloader, and handgun).

    I went out today and didn't see anything. My friends dad got a nice buck.

    yantisbuck.jpg
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    quote:Originally posted by Alan Rushing

    Thanks for the good report. [^]

    Where are the photos? You didn't have to worry muvh about spooking them today ... taking no shots and all! [:0] [;)] [B)]


    Bow season breaks today and this weekend for firearm season( shotgun slug, muzzleloader, and handgun).

    I went out today and didn't see anything. My friends dad got a nice buck.

    yantisbuck.jpg
    Nice buck that your friends father got himself! Antlers appear to have good form and mass also. Very good. Congrats to him! Thanks for the photo! [:)] [;)] [:D]

    Wishing you good hunting. Going out now with your blunderbuss this weekend then?

    Best
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, taking my smoke pole out (T/C Hawken).

    It's been steady 20mph winds with 40-50 gust last few days with no end in sight.

    Last night I jumped 2 deer on the way to my spot. They were fawns, and DUMB! Stood about 40yrds and looked at me for about 8-10min.

    I could have shot one, but I'm sure there wasn't enough meat on one for a hotdog.[:D][:D]

    Getting ready to head back out in a few minutes. Cross my fingers[^]
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 5,938 ******
    edited November -1
    Hunted hard all weekend. After watching them run across the middle of the fields, I set up there. Shot a huge doe on Sunday morning. Went to another property that evening for just the last hour and head shot a yearling. Done for Moultrie Co for firearms now. I have a Cass tag for second season.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    Hunted hard all weekend. After watching them run across the middle of the fields, I set up there. Shot a huge doe on Sunday morning. Went to another property that evening for just the last hour and head shot a yearling. Done for Moultrie Co for firearms now. I have a Cass tag for second season.


    Everything I saw was all about the size of an English Poniter!

    I have a tag for Moultrie and one for LSP Shelby. Both either sex, and unfilled.[:(]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I have one unfilled Jefferson co. but prob wont make it back down there for 2nd season
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got 2 either sex tags.

    I'm going thur & fri morning in Moultrie Co.

    All day sat & sun in LSP Shelby.

    Just want something bigger than the dog size ones I saw 1st season.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    I've got 2 either sex tags.

    I'm going thur & fri morning in Moultrie Co.

    All day sat & sun in LSP Shelby.

    Just want something bigger than the dog size ones I saw 1st season.


    two either sex for firearm? I didnt know they did that in Illinois, Ive always just got one
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    I've got 2 either sex tags.

    I'm going thur & fri morning in Moultrie Co.

    All day sat & sun in LSP Shelby.

    Just want something bigger than the dog size ones I saw 1st season.


    two either sex for firearm? I didnt know they did that in Illinois, Ive always just got one


    Heck, I could get 5 either sex or more... Just can only shoot 2 antlered deer total per year(no matter the weapon). You can shoot as many does as you can buy tags.

    Couple years ago they started selling left over tags over the counter, unstead of the send it in and get drawed way.


    I'm all set for in the morning(2nd season). Got my clothes in the truck, gun barrel fouled, and tank on my personal heater filled. Hope I don't catch my straw blind on fire.[:0][:0][:D]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I live in Illinois too, just didnt know they would give more than 1 either sex for firearm season, thats all they have ever given me.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 5,938 ******
    edited November -1
    Yepper. You can get the 2nd either sex after the second drawing if there are any available for that county. I had one for Moultrie and then got the Cass one in the daily drawings.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    huh, didnt know that. wouldnt matter i guess i rarely fill the either sex and antlerless only. [:D]
Sign In or Register to comment.