In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Crossbow question

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
I have my paperwork for a permit to use a crossbow during archery deer season so I'm looking for a suitable crossbow. I'd like to have something not too heavy shooting a decent bolt length/weight better than 300fps with a $500 upper limit for a total go to the woods package.
Initial research points me toward a Barnett Quad 400. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    So I'm thinking about diving into the life of crossbow, though I'm completely unfamiliar with brand, types or anything crossbow. If anyone could help me with what a good brand and well basically all the average info to make a relatively informed purchase decision I would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Barnett x-bow with compound limbs and struggle with "unloading" it. A real PITA to have to haul a target around or use one of the "de-cocking" bolts (which still break if they hit something hard).
    While visiting a friend who has an Excalibur recurve x-bow, we were discussing this and he says "that's no problem, just use the cocking rope and let it down". We go to his garage and he proceeds to show me how he does this. After watching him, I realize there's no way I can do this due to my shoulder problems but it does work for him.
    So, my question is: does anyone else have a trick by which to de-cock a compound x-bow w/o actually firing it? I have a spare rope cocking devise that could be modified if I sort of know where to start.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Was wondering , how long can you leave a crossbow cocked ?

Without an arrow in it . If your hunting for 3 or 4 days in a row is it OK to just take the arrow off , or should it be shot off after each hunt , and then recocked for the next hunt ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can I use any broadhead with a crossbow? OR do I need to use crossbow specific broadheads? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey guys, i need some help. I am thinking about getting a crossbow for the next deer season. Im not sure why, I just thought it would be fun to take a deer with something different I guess.. So I need help on what makes and models are a good buy. If I end up getting one I want a good brand/model that will last, any of you shooting crossbows.??? Ive been shooting my mathews for years and love it- Never lets me down, but when it comes to crossbows Im clueless on what to look for.. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Problem solved(maybe). I ordered a Barnett Revolution package for 1/2 of retail. Should be here end of next week which is good since I have a business trip Jan 24 and will be close to Bass Pro to pick up what ever accessories aren't in the package.
    Next question is:How long can the crossbow be left cocked while hunting?
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Problem solved(maybe). I ordered a Barnett Revolution package for 1/2 of retail. Should be here end of next week which is good since I have a business trip Jan 24 and will be close to Bass Pro to pick up what ever accessories aren't in the package.
    Next question is:How long can the crossbow be left cocked while hunting?

I have a friend that cocks his before he goes out and decocks when he comes in.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got the unit and book indicates it should not be left cocked for over 4 hours.
    Another note. I can't cock it!!!!!!! I kind of figured this might be a problem but the place I ordered from didn't have a rope cocker on hand. I'll be going past a Bass Pro store Monday on a business trip so can find one there. Got a crank cocking device spotted on ebay for use when shooting more than a couple of times.
    It's not that I'm not strong enough but my lower back won't stand that strain w/o causing grief later.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Pics of said unit or your fibbin' [:D]
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cross Bows are legal where I hunt....my question is.......anyone know anything about the scorpyd RDT 125 ? or the Horton Vision 175 ?Reverse limb bows?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Horton Vision was recommended to me but above my budget.
    With advice from a friend(who doesn't actually use a crossbow BTW), I chose a bow with a lower pull weight but longer power stroke. The Barnetts I looked at have 15" or more stroke compared to some others with only 11-12" power stroke.
    Logic would seem to indicate that more time/longer stroke with the string driving the bolt would allow equal speed with lower pull weight.
    Still haven't shot it but might happen this weekend if the snow melts off.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the horton 175 vision and love it. I got it for under 500 buck direct from a dealer. You can also find deals on fleebay. Its a great, quite bow and with the reverse limbs, its easy to turn around while in a tree stand.Easy to cock and man do the bolts fly out of that thing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shot the new crossbow yesterday. I can cock it with the rope w/o undo stress. Two shots had it on the dot at 20 yards so I'm happy and impressed. The only bugger in the salad is the trigger pull-that's something to be reckoned with. Certainly workable but it ain't no match rifle trigger for sure.
    I had an audience and they said the trajectory at 25 yards is straight as a laser-no drop(there must be some but not much for sure). If it shoots the broadheads as well as the field points, the Share the Harvest food pantry folks are going to be eating GOOD.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Glad you found something you can shoot and are happy with.