In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Urban Hunting

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently moved to a very urban area. Akron, Ohio to be exact. I moved for a "grown up" job as an construction estimator. I was wondering how many guys actually bow hunt public land considering a lot of the farmers keep telling me no. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I hunt all private for deer because I can. I know alot of people that hunt public and do very well at it.
    In my county I hunt turkey on public and have been fairly successful at it.
    I think the key is when you think you've walked further than anyone else, walk a little farther.
    Don't give up on asking for permission too. Even offering to trade some work for hunting.
    Congrats on your new job too.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=583129

This deer was shot on US Army Corps Of Engineers land.

Shot another one almost the same size in 2005 on the same land, but managed by the State. Got that one with a muzzle loader.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of great deer taken from public land every year. My personal best was taken from public. You may benefit from adjusting your hours or days you hunt. I try to make mine almost all morning hunts and during weekdays to avoid some of the crowd.

As for Urban hunting.... I live near Rochester MN, and we can hunt in the city limits provided we follow a few rules.... http://www.rochestermn.gov/departments/police/PDFFiles/RCO8513092710.pdf Last year I hunted a very large property in town, and if I had not been so picky could have shot several different bucks. May be worth checking into for your area.