In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

crossbows, who knows anything about them?

mossberg500manmossberg500man Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
I do all my deer hunting in Wisconsin and they legalized crossbows for next year, who here knows much about them? Looking for tips and advice on brands ,broadheads, bolts etc

Comments

• Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I know of crossbows is if I ever have to use one, I'll quit hunting. Not archery equipment in my opinion. To each their own.
  • Options
    festusfestus Member Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had to start using a crossbow a few years ago due to shoulder problems. I have only used Horton crossbows, I am sure there are others brands that are better as well as worse, but have always been very pleased with the ones I have owned. With that said Horton went out of business, but there is some very good prices on them right now, and would not hesitate to buy one if I was needing another one. I have been using the TRT Ultra Lite Express for a couple years now and am very impressed with it. I have used thunderhead broadheads for the past twenty years or so, and as long as I can find them will continue to do so.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was able to renew my interest in bowhunting after getting a crossbow permit last year. IMHO Barnnett is the best of the affordable Xbows. They are extremely accurate and easy to operate. For $300-500, you can get a fast, powerful unit that shoots suitably tuned bolts out to 40-50 yards.
    The skills required for bowhunting are still there. The physical requirements which some of us can't meet are reduced.
    For those who don't "like" crossbows, there's a big difference between someone who is too lazy to condition themselves to pull a hunting weight bow and those who, due to physical constraints, simply can't pull a bow.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a horton vision and love it. They went out of business. I don't like the fact that it is like hunting with a gun. No challenge at all. I went back to my recurve and compound bow. I am just as accurate and enjoy it more. Don't get me wrong, I love my crossbow, but I LOVE my traditional archery more. This is the vision........PS, after reading Mobucks comments, I couldn't agree more. he hit it right on the head.[;)]

img20121014094215.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck

The skills required for bowhunting are still there. The physical requirements which some of us can't meet are reduced.
    For those who don't "like" crossbows, there's a big difference between someone who is too lazy to condition themselves to pull a hunting weight bow and those who, due to physical constraints, simply can't pull a bow.

That is a horse of a different color there. I am all in favor of those not able to draw a bow, to be able to use a crossbow. What I am against is allowing anyone to use a crossbow in ARCHERY season. With the modern compound bows and low legal hunting draw weight (now 30lbs in MN), there are very few people who NEED to use a crossbow. I know there are some, and my friend Bryan is one of them. Broken neck from a crash when he was a Sheriff's Deputy. 2 broken shoulders from motorcycle crashes.... He took a beautiful buck this year with his too.
    IMG_20131103_161532_315-1_zps31d95a04.jpg[/URL]

If I ever find myself in a condition that does not allow me to hunt with a conventional bow, I may consider something like a http://www.drawloc.com/ until I can shoot without it.

Again- this is personal preference, and it a bit of a sore spot for me. Several states now allow crossbows in their archery seasons. Wisconsin just passed a "crossbow season" that will run concurrent with the archery season. Minnesota (where I live) currently allows crossbows to be used in the gun seasons. I have no problem with that, and would even suggest that their use be extended into the muzzleloader season too- since they are already statutorily defined the same as a muzzleloader... a "primitive weapon". Minnesota is on a kick to increase license sales.... seemingly at all cost. Quantity over quality? The problem with more hunters in the woods here (SE MN) there is very limited public land to hunt, and the private ground is almost impossible to gain access to. More hunting pressure is the last thing we need here.

I know there are benefits to having more people involved in shooting sports for the preservation of our rights. I get that, but how many NEW hunters will we gain by adding crossbows to archery? NONE! No one out there will start hunting just because of a crossbow. Sure more licenses will be sold- Back to the quoted text at the top... too lazy to condition themselves, and develop archery skills. Just cock, align scope, and shoot... That is why I have started to use the phrase "Arrow Gun" rather than crossbow. They are a gun! Just shooting an arrow rather than a bullet.
  • Options
    torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    I had to give up bow hunting years ago due to shoulder problems. I'm hoping to move back to Mich in the next few years and I will buy a crossbow then.

There's a lot of people that equate a crossbow to a gun. There is a lot the same but you're still shooting an arrow, or a bolt as the proper term is. I don't believe for a minute that I'll just be able to go out and effectively kill a deer without some practice. I believe the same applies for gun hunting.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always owned Barnett brand bows.

My current one is a Predator, love it!

Bought it as a package which included bow, bolts with practice tips, quiver, all the lube for cable/string and this model comes with "red dot", or cross hair(yardage drop lines inside) scope.

Mine is the scope with lines. 1st line is 15yd, 2nd line 40yrd, 3rd line 70yrd & never shot the 4th & 5th line yet.

Killed a really nice buck last year with it on New Years Eve.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    All I know of crossbows is if I ever have to use one, I'll quit hunting. Not archery equipment in my opinion. To each their own.

Not one difference between Drawloc & crossbow.

Both have the string held back & held by device. Both have or can have scope mounted on them. Both released by a "trigger". So why would you quite hunting if you had to resort to using one?

We should all support the hunting community no matter if you prefer a shotgun, rifle, crossbow, compound bow, or traditional bow to take game.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009

Not one difference between Drawloc & crossbow.

Both have the string held back & held by device. Both have or can have scope mounted on them. Both released by a "trigger". So why would you quite hunting if you had to resort to using one?

We should all support the hunting community no matter if you prefer a shotgun, rifle, crossbow, compound bow, or traditional bow to take game.

I'm not saying they can't hunt with a crossbow. I do support their use, just not in the archery season.

2 differences between crossbow & drawloc....
    Money & noise. Rather than buying a crossbow, you could just add the drawloc in place of your arrow rest. Much cheaper! Also the noise made by crossbows is a big turn off for me.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are at a "crossroads" decision. I don't use a crossbow, hunt over bait, hunt fenced
    "Livestock" . I don't have walls lined with trophy heads, and I stopped watching most hunting shows on tv.