In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

youth target arrows

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
Why are they so long? My Grandsons got bows for Christmas(plus a few extra arrows). I've been looking for replacement arrows and the only ones I can find are 26-28". There's 8-9" of arrow left in front of their bows at full draw.

Comments

• ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had the same problem at summer camp a few years back. We ended up going to an archery shop and ordering arrows cut to size. They were happy to help us out.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Wish I could help. I'm a few years past youth bows.
    Are they aluminum, carbon, or fiberglass?
    Aluminum would be easy to cut to fit.
    The others, probably have to take to a bow shop.
    Hate to have to pay for full size tho and then cut them off.
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They can be shot full length. Probably a good idea considering the different sizes of the kids that may be shooting the same bow (like at a camp). I shoot compound as well as traditional. I personally cut my traditional arrows but I know plenty of people that shoot them full length for the extra weight. It wont effect accuracy, only arrow speed
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not only must the arrow be of correct length but also spine. The correct spine will allow the arrow to properly bend upon release and travel around the bow handle and reflex back into correct flight. This is critical for a young archer to learn the arrow flight. If incorrect the arrow will fly away from the bow laterally and give the wrong impression. Most likely you will need the lightest aluminum of 1813 cut to length and keep trying different weight tip to achieve correct arrow flight for the bow weight and arrow length.. It is far better off to have a large trajectory curve than a incorrect lateral flight for the young learner. Do a search on archers paradox.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A deal I had to buy a 72 pack of youth arrows fell through. I've decided to try to find the lightest spine aluminum arrows I can and cut to an appropriate length. Since I'm going to cut them anyway length is not an issue so maybe look at 2nd hand and refletch them, also.
    I think aluminum would be safer for kids since it's either good or bent and won't shatter or sliver. Correct or not?
    edited November -1
    Yes easier with aluminum you can utilize different tip weighs screw inserts.
    I assume this is all for recurves? If so fletch with natural feathers, plastic vanes will not go past arrow rest cleanly and will produce a poor flight. I can't over stress how importance it is to have the young archer shooting a arrow with the correct flight from the bow.
    edited November -1
    Dicks sporting goods Sells bear archery lil brave recurve set. Two correct arrows, arm guard, glove, bow is three piece take down, has a user friendly arrow shelf to hold arrow. 50dollars. Only arrows have plastic fletch, cut those off and go with feathers.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    A deal I had to buy a 72 pack of youth arrows fell through. I've decided to try to find the lightest spine aluminum arrows I can and cut to an appropriate length. Since I'm going to cut them anyway length is not an issue so maybe look at 2nd hand and refletch them, also.
    I think aluminum would be safer for kids since it's either good or bent and won't shatter or sliver. Correct or not?

I'd stick with carbon arrows. I find Carbon easier to fletch with the modern super glue type adhesives. I dab the glued feather on a paper towel before clamping to the shaft. They set very fast! 30 seconds or so and I can move on to the next. Aluminum shafts I have had much better luck with fletchtite brand glue, but it takes forever for it to dry. Ok... not forever, but several minutes before I dare take the clamp off.
    As for safe... almost any carbon shaft will be very strong, much more thank kids will need. All carbon arrows come with the same warning about testing the arrows before shooting. Something similar to http://www.goldtip.com/arrowcontent.aspx?page=safety