In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

crossbow question

bullin82bullin82 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
I have my paperwork for a permit to use a crossbow during archery deer season so I'm looking for a suitable crossbow. I'd like to have something not too heavy shooting a decent bolt length/weight better than 300fps with a $500 upper limit for a total go to the woods package.
Initial research points me toward a Barnett Quad 400. Any suggestions?

Comments

• bullin82bullin82 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So I'm thinking about diving into the life of crossbow, though I'm completely unfamiliar with brand, types or anything crossbow. If anyone could help me with what a good brand and well basically all the average info to make a relatively informed purchase decision I would be greatly appreciated.
    edited November -1
    I have a Barnett x-bow with compound limbs and struggle with "unloading" it. A real PITA to have to haul a target around or use one of the "de-cocking" bolts (which still break if they hit something hard).
    While visiting a friend who has an Excalibur recurve x-bow, we were discussing this and he says "that's no problem, just use the cocking rope and let it down". We go to his garage and he proceeds to show me how he does this. After watching him, I realize there's no way I can do this due to my shoulder problems but it does work for him.
    So, my question is: does anyone else have a trick by which to de-cock a compound x-bow w/o actually firing it? I have a spare rope cocking devise that could be modified if I sort of know where to start.
    edited November -1
    Was wondering , how long can you leave a crossbow cocked ?

Without an arrow in it . If your hunting for 3 or 4 days in a row is it OK to just take the arrow off , or should it be shot off after each hunt , and then recocked for the next hunt ?
    edited November -1
    Can I use any broadhead with a crossbow? OR do I need to use crossbow specific broadheads? Thanks
    edited November -1
    Hey guys, i need some help. I am thinking about getting a crossbow for the next deer season. Im not sure why, I just thought it would be fun to take a deer with something different I guess.. So I need help on what makes and models are a good buy. If I end up getting one I want a good brand/model that will last, any of you shooting crossbows.??? Ive been shooting my mathews for years and love it- Never lets me down, but when it comes to crossbows Im clueless on what to look for.. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    I hope someone comes along and can give you some good advice.
    I am not into them so sorry to say, I'm of no help.
    Good luck on your search and Welcome to the Archery Addiction.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have very limited experience but it's been all good with Barnett. I have a Revolution(obsolete model)that shoots 22" bolts like a rifle shoots bullets. Accuracy out to 45 yards is all you can ask for.
    I made my choice looking at actual draw weight, power stroke/bolt length, and advertised fps. Longer bolts plus longer power stroke should give more energy transfer with a lower draw poundage.
    My reason is that I have shoulder and elbow problems(that's why I got a crossbow exemption)so a lower draw eight is easier on my body. I have two similarly debilitated friends who chose Barnett for the same reasons and both are well satisfied.
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my wicked ridge by ten point. Get one with a finger guard to make it hard/impossible to get a humb or finger into the string path.