In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

which is better modern or traditional

jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
assuming proficient in either type , is it a advantage to hunt modern , ie every
device available coupound even x bow/scope , or go simple long bow/recurve and effective? i am not talking group size or
score , I am talking meat on the table. your opinion?

Comments

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    It is hard to beat today's compound for power, speed, accuracy, and quietness at the shot.
    This all enables a more accurate, lethal killing shot.
    I know a ton of animals have fallen to the stick and string bows but, today's bows are just impressive.
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the traditional bow requires more practice, it also gives a shortened range. I wouldn't think of shooting traditional beyond 20-25 yards max. With today's bows you can really practice 1-3 times a week and be ready for the upcoming bow season. Visit your local pro shop and learn the correct shooting form and get comfortable with your equipment that is number one for me. Get used to what I'm using. As far as crossbows I feel they lack the downrange efficiency and noise control. I would love to get a second crack at a buck if I swing and miss. With a X-Bow you really don't get that option. I also wouldn't shoot a crossbow beyond 25-30 (especially on a windy day). With some practice through the summer and a properly tuned bow you could shoot 30-35 yards. I practice at 50-60 and will only shoot 35.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a compound bow and I suck at the traditional bow but because you established "assumed proficiency on either type", I give the advantage to the traditional (esp. the instinctive shooters) ... a lot least thing to go bad unlike the complex modern compound bow and it's accessories/gadgets; but that's JMHHO.
  • Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a modern compound and comfortably shoot 70 yards all day long (5 shots in a 4-6" group). While I admittedly would never take that shot, I have the opportunity to shoot out to 120 at the range, so the 30-40 yard shots are now no brainers. By no means a I bragging or trying to say I'm some sort of expert, but I do shoot about 200 arrows a week and have a lot of confidence in my equipment. Sometimes I try the 100+ targets but when arrow are 90 bucks for 1/2 dozen those attempts are far and few in between [:)]

I respect the "old way" of hunting but I also believe in using the most efficient and effective means possible.