In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shikaarishikaari Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
Hey everybody,
Just wanted to introduce myself to the community. I am an aspiring bow hunter looking for some mentoring. I would appreciate the same from all the bow hunting gurus out there.

Thanks,
Shikaari

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum.[;)] ask away
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    Welcome to the forum.[;)] ask away

Thanks guys (and gals)I was trying to decide between a recurve and a compound boy. Any ideas? Also whats a good beginner bow in both categories?
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum. We're an unorthodox bunch that never agrees on anything. But if you go ahead and ask a question, we can argue about it until it drives you to drinking.[:)]

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Welcome aboard! Have you had the chance to shoot either compound or recurve? The best beginner bow is going to be the one that you feel most comfortable with. I would suggest going to a shop and shooting a few to see what you like.

(compound, MATHEWS, *stir stir*). Oops that slipped out! [;)]

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How much of a beginner are you?
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    welcome

"Were not here for a long time were here for a good time"
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Welcome....why not try both?

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    Welcome to the forum. We're an unorthodox bunch that never agrees on anything. But if you go ahead and ask a question, we can argue about it until it drives you to drinking.[:)]

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!

What do you mean we never agree, all of us agree that gagirl is a very pretty lady. Most agree i'm weird and I agree with myself that buckey is(well ya'll know)[:D][:D][:D]Welcome aboard shikaari and hope you enjoy yer stay

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Welcome aboard! Have you had the chance to shoot either compound or recurve? The best beginner bow is going to be the one that you feel most comfortable with. I would suggest going to a shop and shooting a few to see what you like.

(compound, MATHEWS, *stir stir*). Oops that slipped out! [;)]

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.

I have shot a Hoyt compound bow and kinda liked it but that was in Alaska. Unfortunately I am living in NJ (NY Metro area)right now. And NJ to the best of my knowledge sucks when it comes to resources and stores for hunters (especially bow hunters) and its amazing how many people here seem to be rabidly anti-gun, anti-hunting etc etc etc. Anyways I dont want to rant on that topic. But do you folks happen to know about some good stores/dealers around here where I could go and test out a recurve bow?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    How much of a beginner are you?

When it comes to Bowhunting/archery a complete beginner. Otherwise I have been hunting for the last decade or so. It just seemed more of a challenge to switch to bowhunting. Besides the more I read the more elegant bowhunting appears.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    The only suggestion I can give you is ....Get the he!! out of the city! [:D] seriously, I don't know your area so I have no suggestions on a good shop, sorry.

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Delwater gap area of New Jersey and Strousberg Pa has plenty of good bow shops it's not too far from you. The hunting is also pretty good in that surrounding area I hve been there several times. hope this helps.[;)]
  • Options
    hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome, I jump in every now and then read a lot of the commits and sometimes put my two cents in also. Bow hunting is great, it gives you a lot more time in the woods. Now if you really want to have a long hunting season, move below the Mason /Dixion line Seasons start around the end of September/first of October and run through the end og Jan. Here in South Mississippi we got an extra time to hunt, That if if the boys that make the rules will go ahead and put it into affect. Starting this season bow/ muzzleloader season will run through Feb 15 on privit land in the Southeast corner of Mississippi. 15 extra days and right in the middle of our rut.
    I have shot both compound and recurve. To me it was easier to start with a compound bow. You have a sight to look at like a rifle make switching from a firearm to a bow much easier. After you have taken a few deer, than try to hunt with a recurve or long bow. By then you should be a lot more knolagable about bow hunting. But most important of all have a great time, don't turn bow hunting into a job.

Hornet
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Welcome shikaari!!

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    hawkeyemfghawkeyemfg Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome and I can check to see what kind of dealers I know in NJ but there is a place in Pa called Appalician Bows and this guy makes some real quality recuvres an long bows. Will try to see what else I can find for you there. I make parts for a few Bow companies and depends how much you want to pay for a bow also.
    Later
    Glen!!!!
    Glenquote:Originally posted by shikaari
    Hey everybody,
    Just wanted to introduce myself to the community. I am an aspiring bow hunter looking for some mentoring. I would appreciate the same from all the bow hunting gurus out there.

Thanks,
    Shikaari
  • Options
    Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get an Alpine http://www.alpinearchery.com/default.asp?Pagewidth=640
    Welcome [:o)]Aboard[:D]What ever you get,get the one that feels right.

MLMorgan
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well atleast you got to try out the best made bow {Hoyt} while you were in Alaska![;)][:0][:D][8D]....Welcome!

Ruric, NE OHIO,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the suggestions. Cant wait to get a bow. I will definitely look into the archery places on the NJ/PA border. Will keep you guys (and gals) in the loop.[:)]
  • Options
    CORRENCORREN Member Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    now that you have shot a HOYT you cant go back [:D]get what you can afford that you enjoy shooting I would suggest you put a peep sight on it and stay away from the overdraws I dont know if you stand hunt or spot and stalk we do the spot and stalk here so i like to keep my bow light and simple.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PEEP SIGHT [:0]