In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How far would you shoot?

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
I recently finished Saxton Popes book about archery and bow hunting. Really enjoyed it, but man some of the stuff he wrote leaves me wondering whether or not Saxton was full of poop.

He said, that a typical shot on a deer is 80 to 120 yards! I am wondering if his ruler was a bit off. He used a longbow with a sixty to seventy pound pull. Does the distance seem a tad extreme, certainly not typical?
I dont feel comfortable shooting a deer beyond twenty five yards-that is due to my own limitations. But since I started practicing, I have been practicing out to 53 yards, and I am very suprised with my acuracy. I am hoping by the end of the summer to feel comfortable taking a forty yard shot on an animal. In order for mew to feel comfortable, I have to consistently hit a three inch target. But even if I am confident with the accuracy of the shot, how about the energy requirement?? Is 40 yards extreme for a bow set to 62lbs? How about fifty, or sixty yards? Is that arrow going to hit the deer and pop off?
The one thing I have been very suprised about, is when I am taking 53 yard shots, they often go right through the target. I expected that they would not penetrate as far as a twenty five yard shot would, but a twenty five shot never results in a pass through.
Perhaps I am confused by the physics, but does the fact that when I am shooting at the farther distance, I am "arching" the shot, and the arrow aquires more energy as it comes down? I am confused.[:I][:I][:I][:I]

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
-Jimmy the cheese man

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I suspect that he meant "feet". Even if you could shoot well at that distance, it would not be a good idea in most hunting situations. A calm deer could easily move 2-3 feet in the 1-2 seconds it would take for your arrow to reach its target

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    I suspect that he meant "feet". Even if you could shoot well at that distance, it would not be a good idea in most hunting situations. A calm deer could easily move 2-3 feet in the 1-2 seconds it would take for your arrow to reach its target

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!

Yup I totally agree with that one, i've had a deer move unexpectedly and shot as far back as 5 inches, and that was from 20 yards.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    It's gotta be feet or I suck[;)]
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Somebody pleeeeassssssssse make a comment to a certain reply on this thread. I'm being nice today, it's a one day thing so ya'll better hurry.[:D]

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only shot at a deer over 30 yards once. And i think most bow hunters are that way. I would also suspect he meant feet, which would put that number into the correct distance. I have actually heard a story from my fathers hunting buddy, he was out west with some people, and a guy shot an elk at 50 + yards flat out dropped it, so I guess it can be done.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    From reading I guess when your stalking mulies out west the average shot is close to 50 yards. Now Im good to about 35 yards on a good dday 5 inch group so i cut my self off at 25 yards in real deer shooting

"Were not here for a long time were here for a good time"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    It's gotta be feet or I suck[;)]

Okay taco...since you're too wuss.

If not feet, then suck what Buckey? Your thumb? er...uh...am I missing something here?[:D][:p]

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:then suck what Buckey?

[xx(]

Maybe he had one of those rifled barrels pushing that arrow out to 120 yards. [;)] I have a buddy that shoots his Mathews fairly consistantly at 75 yards, he wouldn't attempt a deer at that distance though.
    I like 30 yards and less myself. [:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    CORRENCORREN Member Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have taken 50 yard shots but i practice at 50 alot.Killed most of my bucks under thirty yards though.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    you better watch tour step there Benny-Boy or Taco and Buckey are gonna tag team on ya and it won't be pretty. [:D][:D] your pretty witty for a CUBS FAN.[:0]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    you better watch tour step there Benny-Boy or Taco and Buckey are gonna tag team on ya and it won't be pretty. [:D][:D] your pretty witty for a CUBS FAN.[:0]

Hey count me in, you know with the twins and all..... Well hey then I can change my name to bang251. [xx(][:D][:D][;)]

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

Hey count me in, you know with the twins and all..... Well hey then I can change my name to bang251. [xx(][:D][:D][;)]

Did I start this?[:0]

Buckey, our wit is all we have.

Damn bang, is it getting that scarce up there? I know a couple of girls that are anything but a "long shot" if you're that desparate.

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had one kill at 50yrds.It was a perfect shot thru the heart. I like to step off my shooting lanes if I hunt from a spot for a while. I had stepped that one off. I would say though the average distance of my dear kills wouldn't average much more than 25yrds.I would not take a 50yrd shot most of the time. I just had a feelen about that one. I do practice that distance a lot .On good days I can shoot a tight groups on the bulls eye. I always kind of shoot or not shoot on how I feel about getting a good clean kill shot. I hunted down one that I shot about 20yrds that went a mile. It was High and back lung shot. I was glad to find that one.[:o)]

MLMorgan