In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Woodchucks....

DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any of you hunt them with your bow's??? I have a friend that is a Crop-Famer and he wants me to thin out the woodchuck population around his fields. I have my .243 all set-up and ready to go but now I'm thinking that it might be kind of a fun challenge to get close enough for a shot with my bow!...Any of you ever eat them???

Ruric, NE OHIO,

Comments

• Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Thanks now I cant get.....

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?........

out of my head......

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    a wood chuck is a rare critter around my parts

"Were not here for a long time were here for a good time"
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:headzilla97 Posted - 05/16/2005 : 1:21:42 PM
    a wood chuck is a rare critter around my parts

When I was in school we didn't have any woodchucks only upchucks [;)]
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I have had a few up chucks in my day

• Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot a half dozen of them last summer in my back yard. If I had to guess, Id say my success rate was 25%. Once they know they are being hunted, they are very cautious. I have a few trees that I use, when I see one, I get the tree between me and the chuck, and I walk right up to the tree. I used to think they had a poor sense of smell, but yesterday I stalked one, got fifty yards away, was completely hidden, a gust of wind blew past me, the chuck stuck his head up, and bolted-but usually the wind does not seem much of a concern.
    I find the best shot on a chuck, is wile he is looking in the same direction that you are looking, a shot right in the back, placed perfectly it will exit the head or neck. When I shoot them in this manner, they dont go five yards. I have shot them broadside, and they will run quite a bit-I lost a few who ran in the brush with arrows sticking out of there chest. Im sure they died, but I lost arrows. If possible, wait until the animals * is facing you, shoot for the back. If they are standing up, shoot for the center. Good luck. Great practice in the off season.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You won't be able to get close to them in the fields if they are open. I usually can't get anywhere near 50 yards to them in an open field.