In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

anyone shooting at all?

shellyshelly Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
I know its not archery time ..but is there anyone shooting or excited about this year? What are you using ? Shot my Bowtec blackhawk lastnight with the ripcord rest..Grouping was pretty good. Hadnt shot in a while. Figured I'd might hunt this season. I worked on a couple bows Saturday at the store, nothing much. New guy... just learning and not knocking properly as for the other two just odds and ends. Will go out later today and shoot some more after piddling with the website. ( its humid )

shelly

Comments

• Options
    Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shelly did you check my pics in my post I shot yesterday in MO.[:o)]

MLMorgan
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shot at a Snappin Turtle in the pond today...Missed...Thats about it!

Ruric, NE OHIO,
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will be after I order my new bow this next week. Besides just wait, no I have not shot for a while.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok, shoff what bow are you getting and what ya putting on it as for as acc.?

DIRTY RAT: You MISSED...? Shame on you..What are you shooting?

Wild oakie: Will check them out I guess I missed them..What ya get?

shelly
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Maybe this evening I will.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shelly
    ok, shoff what bow are you getting and what ya putting on it as for as acc.?

Hoyt UltraMag
    Copper John 5 pin sight, already bought a good used one
    up in the air on the rest, either a TK hunter with added teflon or a NAP 2000 drop away.
    Doinker stabilizer, I think it is 6.5 inches
    kwikee removable quiver, which i probably won't buy for a while
    I am really having problems which release to buy, this release thing is completely new to me and trying to figure out whether or not to use a Tru fire stalker or a T.R.U. ball release of some sorts. I have used fingers up to this date.
    And the arrows to go along with the set up will be Easton Axis. Always shot aluminum, will be a lot different with carbon.

Hopefully I can get the bow ordered by the beginning of next week. It is going to be a huge step up from my old browning.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    go with the scott archery release, you love it . The have buckle versions and velcro versions, the release also can drop down so you can use your hands still instead of sticking right out and being in the way all of the time. You should like the axis arrows, youll get some more speed by using carbons also. Quickee quiver is one of our favorites.Some of the guys also get extra brackets and mount them to the tree they are hunting out of

shelly
  • Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot a couple dozen arrows last night. It's been 6 months and it showed. [B)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    how bad was it?

shelly
  • Options
    edited November -1
    go with the scott archery release, you love it . The have buckle versions and velcro versions, the release also can drop down so you can use your hands still instead of sticking right out and being in the way all of the time.

I am looking at back tension releases. I shot some of the wrist strap releases, and did not like them one bit, although you can pull more weight easier, but that is not really worth it to me.

You should like the axis arrows, youll get some more speed by using carbons also.

Hopefully about 125-150 fps more

Quickee quiver is one of our favorites.Some of the guys also get extra brackets and mount them to the tree they are hunting out of

That is probably one of the best ideas I have ever heard. Never would have thought of it.
  • Options
    instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been out a fair bit lately(the salmon are running after all[:p])

Just got the new bow in and all set up, so I'm trying to get that all set up and knock the rust off at the same time. Lately it has been a matter of practicing Zen while shooting. The mosquitoes are horrible up here already, and they wait till you are at full draw[B)]

Also there have been a few bears down around the archery range. I've smelled fresh scent and seen new prints but they're around. Hell the 2 schools on post have had to have recess indoors today, because of moose and bears in the playground[:p]

Anyhow I'm getting out a bit, with my own target since some cheap ba$tard$ stole the ones that post left on the range 24/7

Mathews Switchback 70#, 28 1/2"
    Spott Hogg Hunter
    Trophy Taker Drop Away
    Doinker A-Bomb, 3"
    Easton Axis 400 (still testing diff fletch and fletch patterns, down to Blazers, QuickSpin's, and feathers; leaning toward the Blazers....impressive!)
    I'm using a catback quiver, as too much of the area I hunt a bowmount would be in the way.

Picture024.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The mosquitoes are horrible up here already, and they wait till you are at full draw

Also there have been a few bears down around the archery range. I've smelled fresh scent and seen new prints but they're around. quote:

Ive seen guys come in after they fell asleep in the stands... the mosquitos made lunch meat out of their faces.

Isnt kinda hard to try to practice thinking about bears?

As for your flethching , how did you fletch the quickspins helical , offset? I surprising have not heard about the blazers, tell me about them...

As for your set up, you have it made...nice pick..

How do you like how it shoots and feels?

shelly
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I never did mention what I use:

Bowtech blackhawk 26" 50# ( really nice shorter axle to axle lightweight riser, good for ladys or youth )

camo rip cord drop away rest
    tru glow tritium pins
    quickee quiver
    archers choice doinker
    Beman ics hunter elites
    Scott release buckle type ( I hate velcro )

shelly
  • Options
    instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like I said I'm working off the rust but heres my inital thoughts.

I use a Grayling fletcher with both an offset(right) and a right helical.

I only have a dozen arrows so it's kind of a slow process. Right now this is what I have shot....

Blazers 5deg R Offset - great
    5 deg R o.s with R Hel - even better
    (one thing about the Blazers is that they are so short that it's hard to get an extreme hel)

QuickSpin 5deg R OS - greta but nothing next to the Blazer's
    Haven't shot with a hel yet

Feathers 5deg OS with R hel - about the same as the QS, possibly faster(I havent started to break out the chronograph yet)

Picture024.jpg
  • Options
    icdux1icdux1 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Shelly just got a new bow a Martin T-1 Tomcat is it a good bow
    Sinerly, Grant

icdux1 and kathy