In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

new?? archer,

reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
I dont know if new is really accurate as i did bow hunt about 30-40 yrs ago. I just purcased my 1st compound bow on ebay the other day out of curiosity, can anybody give me some advice as to what I must have besides arrows(lol) to get started shooting so i can see if i can regain the old skills??Also what is REALLY needed for hunting.The bow is a PSE gamesport graphite seems in great shape ,I may replace the string just to be safe.It is 45-60 peak weight am i right in assuming this is enough for our small South Carolina deer

Comments

• 47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the board ! I'm in the same boat but I started last year after a 30-35 year layoff. I picked it up real quick. Also used a PSE but recently got a Mathews Q2. First off take your bow to a bow shop and replace the string and see what poundage your comfortable drawing, they can set you up with 6 arrows of the correct spline/weight and go have fun with it for a couple of weeks. I use a whisher bisket rest as it won't let the arrow drop off. Sights are your prefferance, I started with some thing that looked like three cross hairs from a rifle scope stacked on top of each other but since changed to a "tru-glo" type of sight. Others can recommend releases. SHELLY has a shop and will probably offer some insite along with everyone who has posted here !
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I pretty much have the same set up on my Q2. I like the suggestion of going to a shop and getting her set up. Have fun! let us know how shootin' goes.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    welcome abord. I agree you really need to go to a shop and they can set you up. Too many little factors to explain over a forum without seeing the bow, your ability and so forth. A shop will take all this into consideration and and set you up properly . please let us know how you make out I will be dissapointed if we don'[;)][:)]t hear from you again.
  • reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone who responded the bow goes in this weekend to be restrung and checked over. I'll let you know what the results are
  • shellyshelly Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you need to make sure is that the bow actually fits you if not the bow show will adjust it for you either by changing the module on it or making some slight adjustment on the cam. I believe it is a 1996 bow make sure the string and the 2 buss cables are in good shape and not dry rotted ( always wax your strings to keep it in good shape ) Have the shop adjust the poundage for you where you are comfortable , you always can increase it later by turning the limb bolts clockwise ( turn both bolts equally though) As for goodies to put on it just get a archers choice sight for about 30.00 and a basic rest for about 19.00 then just get some truflight practice arrows which run about 40.00 a dozen ( they will cut these to your size and insert the inserts and put the field points in for you ) buy your self a archers choice release about 19.00 and a bag target and you should be pretty much set up. Have them set your rest and tune the bow up for you...if you need help setting up your pins and ajdusting them call me 903-291-1983.

shelly
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a no frills inexpensive way to go
    http://www.allabouttheoutdoors.com/store-products-Archery-Supplies-Bow-Sights-6520-23-330-PSE-Mongoose-Package_12102213.html

I would also reccomend an inexpensive peep sight, wrist sling, and stabilizer, and for a 2 dollar investment a kisser button is hard to beat for helping with anchor consistency.
  • shellyshelly Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that is a pretty good price..but you might get a little higher grade assortment if you would pick something not already packaged

shelly
    edited November -1
    Just to let everybody know i picked my bow up from Bass Pro Sops today now has a whisker biscuit arrow rest, a cobra mini marksman sight,and a new bowstring. I also purchased a dozen red head carbon fury arrows with field points and 6 broadheads(muzzy 100 gr 3 blade)Came to about $140 but included some range time to sight the bow in, and show me how to use it(1st compound bow).Now its a matter of getting out and shooting. Thanks for the advice and encouragement
    edited November -1
    font=Arial Black][/font=Arial Black]
    Forgot to mention I now have $165 invested in this bow if i decide to up grade at some later date i can get most of my investment back.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Good for you welcome back to archery wishing you lots of fun and sucess.[;)]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Welcome back to the addiction. Now go shoot, shoot , shoot and get ready for season, it is just around the corner.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    welcome aboard reddnek! Sounds you got everything you need, bow/arrows & deer. Good hunting! [:)]

Answer a question for me if you would. We just drove through SC the other week on the way to and from Myrtle. I saw a big fat 0 deer either way, not even one hit alongside the rode. What's with that? We got 20 miles from home and there must have been a dozen laying dead along 77 in Ohio. Is the population that different?

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SUS-
    Them SC deer is just smarter[:0] They stay away from the road![;)][:D]

KungFu.gif
    Opinions are like azzholes, eveyone's got one, and this just happens to be mine!
    edited November -1
    IF you go along rt 501 from conway(where i live) towards myrtle beach about 5am look to your right as you pas the sign for myetle beach national golf course. I never fail to see at least 10 there. Also the hunting club i belong to out near green sea has a great population
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I believe I recall a Conway. We got off 77 at 34 and ran across to Lugoff then jumped on 20 over to 501 then into Mrytle. Is Conway in between? We arrived in Myrtle around 11am and left at 6am so we never went on 501 at 5am.
    edited November -1
    Conway's about 10 miles wes of Myrtle Beach