In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fletching/Whisker Biscuits/Turbo Nock

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone else have a problem with fletching getting ripped up using a whisker biscuit? The one I have still has all black whiskers but I have to replace my fletching all the time. Does the black, brown combo biscuit work better for this? I LOVE my biscuit and will probably keep replacing fletching if I can't figure out how to get it to work better.

Also, does anyone know anything about these "Turbo Nocks" that replace all fletching on an arrow? A friend bought some and seems to like them but I just can't get used to that small of a thing getting my arrow to fly better.

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    First off turbo nocks forget they exist.they are hard plastic and are spinning when they go thru whisker biscuit they make a racket. I bought 20 and threw 20 away. The one with the brown is easier on the fletching. If your bow is tuned properly and the rest alligned ok. you really shouldent be seeing that kind of damage to your fletching. what brand vanes are you using.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am using "el-cheap-O's" for Wal Mart.[:D] It seems like I tear at least one every time I shoot. My bow seems to be tuned well and my arrows don't whip or kick.

I also saw that Turbo nock makes just a nock too. It would replace the current nock but has the same twist as the bigger piece. Any thoughts on these?

• Options
    edited November -1
    I think they would work well with a drop away rest. but if your bows set up and your hitting good with broad heads whats the point. Get rid of those wally word arrows b-4 they shatter. Most likely sub grade fletching is why its tearing because I dont have that problem with my biscuit. OH Yea Fair warning[B)] Gogolen's gonna get ya if keep dissing Mathews.[:0]
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Slash0311 Posted - 07/08/2005 : 12:03:12 PM
    I am using "el-cheap-O's" for Wal Mart. It seems like I tear at least one every time I shoot. My bow seems to be tuned well and my arrows don't whip or kick.

I also saw that Turbo nock makes just a nock too. It would replace the current nock but has the same twist as the bigger piece. Any thoughts on these?

K-mart hunter[B)]
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I have the newer bisqit and havnt torn a vane yet with it.

"Were not here for a long time were here for a good time"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess I should have said that I shoot Carbon Extreme from the pro shop. After I tore all of the fletching on those, I replaced just the fletching with wally world fletching. I will probably switch to the newer biscuit and see how that works for me. I also know that most of my buddies that use biscuits have the same problem.

Oh, yea, does anyone know where I can get a Calvin peeing on a Matthews????[:D][:D][:D][:D]

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    no, but if you know where I can find one, I could probably get a good pic of a Ben peeing on a mathews.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    no, but if you know where I can find one, I could probably get a good pic of a Ben peeing on a mathews.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!

Hey Ben let's go snatch Bangs mathews and we'll both pee on it[:D]

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! anim_beer.gif
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    can i pee 2

"Were not here for a long time were here for a good time"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    See how easy we get off the subject at hand[:D][:D] Now as for the biscuit, i'm with buckey on the newer ones being better. I've noticed they don't tear up my feathers as quick as the old biscuit did.

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm always in for peeing on a Matthews!![:D][:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    If you tore the fletching on carbon extreem arows ya got somthing set up wrong.[:0] I used the older style biscuit with no problem double check every thing.[;)] Ok enough with the Mathews bashing.[:(!] There are two kinds of people in this world the ones that own a Mathews and the ones that wish they Did. PEEE PEEE on all you Mathews bashers.[:D][:D]I shoot a hoyt.nana-na na na you faggit's[B)] lets pee pee ona bow how gay. Taco You should know better.
    Hoyt
    Help this Out of tune yuppyTurd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Party pooper[:p]

• Options
    edited November -1
    I own a mathews I cant party with you[:D][;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey monkeyboy, isn't playtime over, and aren't you supposed to be back on lock ward at the nuthouse[?][:D][:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Buck, If I do have something set up wrong, any idea what it could be? I have paper tuned my bow and looks good. Everything is tight and in above avg condition. I am just curious because I know that several (at least 4 or 5) buddies with different brands had the same problem.

• Options
    edited November -1
    OOOOOH Shi# THanks for reminding me I'm late coooo Koooo Coooo KOOOOO
    Ill monkey boy ya Ill stick a banna up ya *. so there shnizzle shnoot[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Mattews

Men that can't hunt
    And
    Think a
    Hot new bow will keep them from
    Erroniously
    Wounding
    Spotted deer

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mattews

Men that can't hunt
    And
    Think a
    Erroniously
    Wounding
    Spotted deer

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!

LMAO!!!!!!!!! Good one Ben.

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    Buck, If I do have something set up wrong, any idea what it could be? I have paper tuned my bow and looks good. Everything is tight and in above avg condition. I am just curious because I know that several (at least 4 or 5) buddies with different brands had the same problem. I Know if the knocking point is off a little this can happen also side to side rest adjustment. But it may be the fletching your using try the softer biscuit I never had fletching tear . Question is it tearing or comming unglued? it's pretty tough to tear a vane. and the glue I use if I tear a vane off half of it is still stuck to the arrow. HMMMM not sure what your problen is. Contact carolina archery and see what there pro staff thinks[;)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413
    Mattews [8D]OK ya got me . now dont you have to peee from all this exitment.

Men that can't hunt
    And
    Think a
    Erroniously
    Wounding
    Spotted deer

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!

LMAO!!!!!!!!! Good one Ben.

• Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    M-achined A-luminum T-wisted T-rash H-oyt E-ngineers W-orst S-cetch.......Since you all are Matthews bashing![:o)][:D][:D][:D] Someday when your OUTBACK trying to shoot, You will SWITCHBACK to a REAL bow!!![:0][:D][:D][:D]

Ruric, NE OHIO,
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Seems weird that many of your buddies are having fletchings come off. I know plenty of people using the older and the new whisker and never seen any fletching problem.
    Anything common between all of you? The same bow shop setup everyones up, same fletching glue, same fletching? get what I'm cooking?

How come so many are bashing Mathews now, did I miss something that happened with mathews?

ps: no need to copy me on the pic of three men peeing on a bow (of any kind)!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There really isn't anything common between our set ups. I know two guys do all of their own work, while I had mine done at the pro shop where I bought it. About the only thing (grasping at straws) would possiblly be the glue. Bonhing but That should be pretty good. Other than that, I don't know.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Use the gel super glue fast fletch. You wont get em off. I did not have very good luck with Bohning glues. Aluminum or Carbon.[V] I do my own fletching with an Arizona E -Z fletcher can do a doz in 1/2 hour with the fast fletch glue shoot em right away[:)] no problems. If you fletching is good?? here is a test grab the fletch and pull it hard as you can if it seperates from the arrow it's no good. If the fletch stretches and tears and is still stuck to your arrow as mine are this is good. I had forgotten I did have trouble at one time and thats when my Mathews dealer told me to use the fast fletch glue. IT works. NOTE**** apply it sparingly and try to be extreemly neat with it. OH yea if you stick your fingers together Your F$$##$d.[;)][:D]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I have the older bisket, until the new one arrives today, but on my old one I was putting the arrows in from the front running the vanes through backwards and this tore mine up. once I figured that out sliding them in through the back has not created any problem for me.

Is someone watching a bad chinese kung fu movie? I keep hearing a "hoyt" .

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The more I think about it, I don't think it is a glue problem. My fletching usually starts tearing on the front edge just above the wider part for glueing.

Bang, I liked the Kung-fu joke. It was something new. See, I can laugh at Hoyt jokes unlike the Mathews guys. I know I shoot the best![:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Slash0311 Posted - 07/11/2005 : 10:04:43 AM
    The more I think about it, I don't think it is a glue problem. My fletching usually starts tearing on the front edge just above the wider part for glueing.

Bang, I liked the Kung-fu joke. It was something new. See, I can laugh at Hoyt jokes unlike the Mathews guys. I know I shoot the best!

Anytime you want to put your hoyt to the test let me know.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FINALLY. I have been wondering how long it would take for someone to figure out that the bow doesn't make the shooter but that the shooter makes the bow. GOGOLEN, by challenging is saying that his skills with his bow are better than my skills with my bow. It doesn't matter which brand we shoot. I am always up for a friendly competetion and will shake his hand if he is able to shot better than I do. The hard part will be figuring out the how and where type of thing. [:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Where in Indiana are you?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Slash Sorry but my moneys on Gogolen. I work with Engineers and they don't bet unless there pretty darn sure they can win. Besides he shoots a mathews and you shoot a Ho#$%%%#$$$$ Cant even bring myself to say it.[:D][;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I live in souther IN near E-ville.[8D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm in Franklin right now
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm in on the Gog.

Sorry slash, all the mat bashin'anim_moon.gif, I gotta take his side on this.

Show'em what a deadly combo the Gog and the mathews can be.anim_nutkick.gif

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Gog, if you are ever coming down this way, bring your bow. I am sure I can find us a woods to take a walk through and shoot a stump or two. It's always good to meet new people that hunt and fish. Just let me know.[:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am never down that way about the furthest I go south id louisville which would be about halfway if you would like to meet somewhere, or I don't know if you ever come up to Indianapolis but I am only 20 minutes south of there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    YA BEST BE OUTA TOWN BY SUN-UP PILGRIM. OR ELSE IM'A CHALLENGEN YOU ALL TO A DUEL. WAAAAA WAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAA. WOOOOO WOOOOOO OOOOOOO[:D][:D] SLASH WERE YOU TRYING TO SPELL EVANSVILLE. I'VE BEEN THERE.
    Now I also understand why ya shoot a hoyt. Ya'll aint the sharpest tools in the shed.[8][8][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    I'm in on the Gog.

Sorry slash, all the mat bashin'anim_moon.gif, I gotta take his side on this.

Show'em what a deadly combo the Gog and the mathews can be.anim_nutkick.gif
    Bang those little cartoons are absolutly hillarious. I crack up everytime I see them. Is that Goog kicking Slash in the Nuts[?][:D][:0]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Yep!

This one is my favorite jerkit.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    Looks just like taco what a spittin image.[:D][:D][:D][B)]