In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stupid mistake

shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
Just a warning to all you arrow builders on here. Make sure if you are using epoxy that you read the directions carefully as to how far down you are supposed to push the inserts. [:(!][V]

Comments

• DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like something I do often...Throw directions away,Put item together,Realize I messed up, Dig directions out of garbage and realize I ruined it![B)]....MANY MANY times![8]

Ruric, NE OHIO,
  • instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Arrows with the HIT inserts?

If you get this in time, maybe it will help.

I put in my inserts as far as I was told to, went to bed and the next morning went to check on the epoxy. As I was looking at the arrows I realized that there was no way I put them in far enough, the "pro-shop" had no idea what they were talking about. After I got done swearing, I started to try to muscle the inserts in. What the hell, if I couldn't fix em they might as well be broke. It took me about an hour to do the whole dozen, but I eventually got them seated properly.

Depending on how long ago you did this, most insert epoxy doesn't fully cure in 24 hours.

Picture024.jpg
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by instrumentofwar
    Arrows with the HIT inserts?

yeah, it was 3 days, they wouldn't budge at all, either way. I ended up getting 7 of them out, ruined 5. I would have cut them and sold them if I didn't need them for this next weekend. I use 29.5 so there is plenty of room, but I need all week to get my new bow tuned into these so I can go to a 3D with my father this weekend. I put myself in a loose loose situation.
    edited November -1
    Did you just stick the insert tool up to the first rib?

I swear I'm hearing alot of that going around lately[}:)]

Picture024.jpg
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I usually go to wally world buy a 5 Minute epoxy. screw my broad head into the insert. Then apply a little epoxy inside the arrow shaft and a little on the insert push them up to the shoulder andthen keep rotating the head till it starts to get real stiff ( pardon the pun)[:D] Then lay the arrow down flat and allign the head with my fletching works real well for me. and yes I shoot them in 1/2 hour no problem.[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by instrumentofwar
    Did you just stick the insert tool up to the first rib?

I swear I'm hearing alot of that going around lately[}:)]

how did you guess? Only I went to the second rib.
  • shellyshelly Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thats why I really dont like those arrows..( sell them but dont like them ) Nobody should ever epoxy in there inserts unless that never plan on changing anything..getting a new bow, changing their rest .etc. the low temp glue special for carbons is the only way to go..its just like people using loc tite on their rings and bases on their guns...

shelly
    edited November -1
    another question...why didnt the pro shop set up your arrows for you?

shelly
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shelly
    thats why I really dont like those arrows..( sell them but dont like them ) Nobody should ever epoxy in there inserts unless that never plan on changing anything..getting a new bow, changing their rest .etc. the low temp glue special for carbons is the only way to go..its just like people using loc tite on their rings and bases on their guns...

I have always used hot clue on all the inserts I have installed in the past. But I got to thinking, was there ever a time that I needed to remove the inserts? I answered that question with a no. Now that was with using broadheads that I could adjust without moving the inserts.

Your second question,

It probably would have cost me about 10-15 bucks more or whatever they would have charged. I already had all the equipment, vanes, clue, ect. and I like doing it. However, this was not only my first set of axis arrows, but first set of carbons. And I learned a lot. Carbons don't clean up anything like aluminums do with laquer that was just a mess. And I learned not to screw them up again, cause once i shoot a couple 3D's I will probably need some more arrows. I have done hundreds of arrows in my 7 or 8 years of archery. It was my way of getting free arrows, I would fletch my Dad's and his friends in exchange for some arrows.
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:shelly Posted - 07/11/2005 : 11:42:35 PM

shelly

After the amount of inserts I have lost using the low temp glue, I am a firm believer in the epoxy. Besides whenever I get a new bow I always get new arrows, to me its kind of like buying new tennis shoes and re-using your old laces.
    edited November -1
    Yea that way when you pull your arrow from your target the broadhead pulls out and is lost in the middle of you target.[xx(] I always epoxy mine in perminatly thats the only way to go[^][;)]
    edited November -1
    Besides thats what Carbon Express, Beman, and pretty much everyone who builds carbons reccomends.
    edited November -1
    Shelly IM a big fan of testing new products and have wasted a lot of money doing so.[xx(] why would you need to use the same arrow or change broad head weight.[?] I tune each arrow seperatly and even sand down my carbons so that they are very close in weight. I personally have different sets of arrows for different things. I dont hunt with my practice arrows. I just dont see the point in being able to remove inserts.[?]
    edited November -1
    quote:Carbons don't clean up anything like aluminums do with laquer that was just a mess.

Use an Acetote type thinner, when you clean the shafts stay away from the arrow labeling on the Axis though, some of it comes off after a few times(I've been experimenting with different vanes and fletch patterns)

Picture024.jpg
    edited November -1
    so nobody tunes their broadheads ? by the way easton does recommend low temp glue ..they used to give you some in each pack of inserts. I still perfer low temp hot melt hardley and inserts have ever came out of any of our customers or my arrows. You can take out your inserts when needed and cut down your arrows if need be etc. without wasting money. plus when we sell arrows cutting them down and inserting the inserts and fieldtips is always free.

shelly
    edited November -1
    so nobody tunes their broadheads ?

Some broadheads you don't have to move the inserts in order to tune them. The broadheads I have been using since I started hunting are like this, the tip is stationary and the blades are in a sleeve that goes around the tip, just have to loosen the tip with a wrench, spin the blade a little, tighten the tip back up and shoot again.

plus when we sell arrows cutting them down and inserting the inserts and fieldtips is always free.

Now that is nice of you!
    edited November -1
    If I allign my broadheads with my fletching. They shoot exactly where my feild tips shoot. Muzzys. I have never had to tune arrows with the allignment different. Maybe I'm just lucky.[:0] I have had broadheads stick in the target with hot melt and pull out of the arrow. Hot melt may work for some but the epoxy had been fine for me. Some may need to tune broadheads but I have weighed quite a few in grams they are so close that they should all be able to hit the same spot. I'll tell ya where some folks go wrong they put a blob of glue on the insert and it drips to one side of the inner shaft changing the weight on one side of the broadhead. dont get me wrong. what ever ya need to do to get the best flight. Different things work with different bows, broadheads and arrows. I suggest when ya find somthing that works leave it alone.[;)]Good topic Shelly enjoy different points of view.[:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:shelly Posted - 07/12/2005 : 6:36:14 PM
    so nobody tunes their broadheads ?

There are many broadheads on the market now that do not require tuning, if they do require tuning use Buckeys method.

quote:by the way easton does recommend low temp glue ..they used to give you some in each pack of inserts.

Their Axis arrrows require epoxy
    http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/accessories/accessories/epoxy.asp

quote:I still perfer low temp hot melt hardley and inserts have ever came out of any of our customers or my arrows.
    Good for you, the shop I go to wanted to try out the "low temp" and used me as their guinea pig because I shoot there often. Long story short 8 out of 12 inserts pulled out, since switching back to epoxy not a single problem. I am glad you or your customers have not experienced this however I will be sticking to epoxy.

quote:You can take out your inserts when needed and cut down your arrows if need be etc. without wasting money.
    Again why? Overdraws are a thing of the past and mysteriously with the past 3 bows my arrow length has stayed the same.

quote: plus when we sell arrows cutting them down and inserting the inserts and fieldtips is always free.

shelly

Pretty standard really. I have yet to go to a shop that charges extra for assembling arrows.

Shelly I am not trying to pee in your wheaties or pick on you.
    edited November -1
    Every body Just stick what works for them.[;)] I had problems with the glue none with the epoxy. HMMMMMMM what should I do. Also I think it depends on what you are shooting a target an animal shooting a deer the head will most likely never come off. repediaty target pulling I have had it happen many times with the hot melt. I Had an outfitter get pissed at me because my broadhead got stuck in the middle of his deer target that other hunters in camp needed to shoot at. NOT GOOD.
    edited November -1
    Did ya go diggin?
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    icon_smile_thinking.gif

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
    edited November -1
    Had to DiG. He was pissed I held his other hunters up from shooting no-0nes gonna shoot at a target with a broadhead stuck in the middle with the arrows they are gonna hunt with.[xx(] Busted my balls too said what have ya got them things held in with hot glue. I lied and said no but Yep hot glue never used it again. as far as Easton recomending it why not they sell it they are making money off it. Easton is far from the best arrow anyway thats my opinion.[;)]