In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which arrows

hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
I am looking at buying some new carbons.
What do you shoot and why? Stronger, smaller, faster, more penetration?
Someone shed some light on this for me

KungFu.gif
Opinions are like azzholes, eveyone's got one, and this just happens to be mine!

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Need more info I personally think different brand arrows shoot better out of different bows. what bow, draw weight. hunting or target. GoGO would be a good person to answer this for you.[;)]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    what buckey said. I shoot PSE Carbon Force Dominator 200. Why? I don't know really. I guess cause thats waht the guy at the shop thought I should shoot. I know I was right on the line as far as what his little chart said as far as going with the 200 or the 300. We'll see how this year goes, maybe I'll do the 300 next year.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey bang, sent my deposit to North Dakota.But cant afford to do that hunt every year looking foward to seeing ya next year. I will most likly drive out and take 2 weeks out of work when I come to Illinois.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    buckey, you have mail.

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    buckey, you have mail.[;)]Bang you have mail

• Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your choice will be dependant on a couple of things like, how much you want to spend, draw weight, required arrow length, and what you plan on shooting. How much you want to spend basically boils down to how close you want your straightness and weight tolerances on your arrows. The closer the tolerances the higher the price simple as that. Does this make a difference? Your opinion may vary but the best shooters in the world don't shoot $50 a dozen arrows. For the money Gold Tips are a good choice. Draw weight and Aroow length are going to determine the size of the arrow you will shoot every arrow manufacturer has a chart so you can determine the size arrow you will require. What you plan on shooting for me anyway determines the diameter of my arrow, I shoot a fatter arrow for league or competition than I would for hunting. I shoot a Gold Tip XT-22 for league, and a Gold Tip 5575 for hunting. I am shooting a 28 1/2" arrow out of a 70# bow. For hunting I would highly reccomend the Easton axis, but be careful there are some indoor ranges by me anyway that will not let you shoot them as they penetrate to deep and are messing up the backstops. I hope this helps, sorry for the long winded post.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got my axis arrows today, can't wait to get them fletched and shooting on my new rig.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am shooting a Hoyt Magnatec at about 60#. I will be using the arrows for hunting. I am not sure about the draw length but if I remember correctly it was 29-30". thanks for the help.
    What makes the Axis so much better as far as penetration?
    Are the Grim Reaper broadheads still the best mechanicals out?

KungFu.gif
    Opinions are like azzholes, eveyone's got one, and this just happens to be mine!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Easton Axis penetrates deeper because it is a lot stiffer than other carbons and it has an extremely small diameter. Here check them out.
    http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/bowhunting/axis/
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gogo said penetrates deeper and stiffer in the same sentence "huh huh"[:D] Now as to what I shoot is Gold Tip 5575 with 100gr. Thunderhead.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! anim_pissed.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:taco413 Posted - 07/07/2005 : 6:00:28 PM
    gogo said penetrates deeper and stiffer in the same sentence "huh huh" Now as to what I shoot is Gold Tip 5575 with 100gr. Thunderhead.
    Yeah I better watch it before we get this post "wisely removed"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GOGO-
    I seem to remember years ago a small diameter arrow made by Beeman that did not have an insert. Instead the broadhead clamped on to the outside of the arrow shaft. Do you remeber these? Are the Axis the same or do they accept an insert and regular screw in broadhead?

KungFu.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They have an insert and you just screw your boardhead in like any other arrow. There are two sizes of feild points for them though, depending on which arrow you get. Most field points are too big around for them so Easton sells a feild point specifically made for them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is that also true of the broadheads?

KungFu.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    by the size of feild points I mean the diameter, not the threads. The threads are standard so any broadhead will work. You also did a broadhead ring adapter which brings the broadhead away from the arrow. There are universal ring adapters for $5.00 a dozen that I believe will fit but have not got a chance to try them yet. Or if you want we could split the cost cause I still need some but don't need a dozen of them.

The downside that I don't like about the axis arrows is the fact that they have you put the insert in with apoxy. I haven't had inserts come out to often with hot glue on aluminum arrows, but since I was new to the axis arrows I decided to use the epoxy. I don't know how well that will turn out when i am trying to tune my broadheads. But the whole epoxy and insert process is easy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:hivoltg Posted - 07/07/2005 : 11:02:26 PM
    GOGO-
    I seem to remember years ago a small diameter arrow made by Beeman that did not have an insert. Instead the broadhead clamped on to the outside of the arrow shaft. Do you remeber these? Are the Axis the same or do they accept an insert and regular screw in broadhead?
    What you are refering to is what was called an "outsert" where as the field tip and or broadhead would screw into this "outsert" which was glued to the outside of the arrow shaft. To answer your question the Easton axis uses what Easton is calling H.I.T. or Hidden Insert Technology seen here http://www.hitarrows.com/. They do take regular field tips and broadheads.
  • Options
    shellyshelly Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    beman ics hunter elites are our favorite..sell tons . some carbon arrows are so soft when it comes time to refletch some of the carbon comes off when you clean them. Ics's have been a standard around here for 5 years good quality arrow runs about 89.00 for a dozen fletched ready to go with inserts and cut to size. Try a beman ics 400 shaft for a 60# 29" you'll like it

shelly
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:shoff14 Posted - 07/08/2005 : 08:07:33 AM
    by the size of feild points I mean the diameter, not the threads. The threads are standard so any broadhead will work. You also did a broadhead ring adapter which brings the broadhead away from the arrow. There are universal ring adapters for $5.00 a dozen that I believe will fit but have not got a chance to try them yet. Or if you want we could split the cost cause I still need some but don't need a dozen of them.

The downside that I don't like about the axis arrows is the fact that they have you put the insert in with apoxy. I haven't had inserts come out to often with hot glue on aluminum arrows, but since I was new to the axis arrows I decided to use the epoxy. I don't know how well that will turn out when i am trying to tune my broadheads. But the whole epoxy and insert process is easy.

There are broadheads made specifically made for arrows with H.I.T. here is an example.
    http://www.newarchery.com/broadheads/crossfire.asp
    Oh and the blade/ferrule cartridge rotates so you don't have to worry about tuning your broadhead.

quote:shelly Posted - 07/11/2005 : 11:51:12 PM
    beman ics hunter elites are our favorite..sell tons . some carbon arrows are so soft when it comes time to refletch some of the carbon comes off when you clean them. Ics's have been a standard around here for 5 years good quality arrow runs about 89.00 for a dozen fletched ready to go with inserts and cut to size. Try a beman ics 400 shaft for a 60# 29" you'll like it

shelly

You aren't a fan of taking advantage of the new technology offered in the archery world are you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I LOVE MY MUZZY'S A lot cheaper and in my opinion still a top quality broadhead.[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    we will try all the new products when available but if we feel like it doesnt not cut it ..we wont use it. that doesnt mean we wont sell them if the customer wants it ( it is all about what the customer wants ) but we stick to what we feel to be the best. Everyone has an opinion just like on guns...or trucks...

chevy all the way

shelly
  • Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carbon Express Maxima 250/350s
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:shelly Posted - 07/12/2005 : 6:40:00 PM
    we will try all the new products when available but if we feel like it doesnt not cut it ..we wont use it. that doesnt mean we wont sell them if the customer wants it ( it is all about what the customer wants ) but we stick to what we feel to be the best. Everyone has an opinion just like on guns...or trucks...

chevy all the way

shelly

What exactly was it you did not like about the H.I.T.? I would really like to know what the downside to a stiffer smaller diameter arrow would be.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    She Just dosent like you GOGO[:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    icon_smile_batting.gif

Its ok, I still like you gog.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bang your alright by me too.
    Buckey I don't care whether she likes me or not. I am just curious as to what it was exactly she did not like about the axis arrows. More to the point why good products get treated like the red headed step children of the archery industry due to the opinion of a sales person.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    here are some arrow sites i have book marked ill add them to the other thread as well

"Were not here for a long time were here for a good time"
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    woops someone forgot to add the sites here they are
    http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/

"Were not here for a long time were here for a good time"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    my opinions are usually kept to my self if the customer wants the new hidden insert technology of the axis then I well give them to him and i dont say a word. It is not my job to run down his product he likes ( unless someone ask what i like and why ) then i'll offer my opinion. Since this was a forum I offered my opinion. The arrow does have some advantages but I have just mentioned what i didnt like.( expoxying the inserts , no adjustability for tuning, the ease of pulling them out when somebody changes something on their bow and the arrows need to be cut down ) Again its my opinion just like I am a chevy person only.

shelly
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GOG-
    Will my Grim Reapers fit the Axis arrows or will I have to buy new broadheads? If it is the latter, does Grim Reaper make a mechanical that will fit? I really love these Grim Reaper mechanical broadheads and don't want to give them up! The worked flawlessly on five deer last year and four the year before, my opinion is that they work[;)][^]

KungFu.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes any broadhead will fit the Axis arrows
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks

KungFu.gif
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Nothing but Carbon here.If not cracked or broke I know they're never bent.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.