In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

practice heads

kindofsuddenkindofsudden Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
I just picked up bowhunting after an 18 year layoff. Inherited Dad's gear. I made some alterations to the bow (draw length, string silencers, nicer arrow rest, etc), but I really want to use the broadheads he used. The problem is that the Razorback 5 broadheads are 140 grains and I can't find any 140 grain practice tips, just 125 grains at the most.

Is there a solution to this issue? Should I not be worried about practicing with the actual broadheads?

Comments

• surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe add little washer behind the 125's?
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, Those are Heavy Heads... I just switched to 100 grain after using 125 for years. The Shop set me up and explained to me why I needed a lighter head. Something about the center balance of the arrow??? I'm sure someone here knows... I have practiced with my broadheads before but I can never seem to get them as sharp as the factory. I buy 6 now and use 3 for practice and 3 for hunting only...Good-Luck!

Ruric, NE OHIO,
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey kindofsudden...I was looking around in some stuff of mine and came across maybe a dozen or so of 145gr field points.You can e-mail me and I'll send them to you [:D] The_Reaper_64@hotmail.com
  • danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your broadheads will probably not fly to the same point of aim as your field points even if they are the same weight. Is matching the weight that important to you?

danski
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I understand there may be some setimantal value in wanting to use the broadheads that your dad used [:)]but reconsider using a 100gr Broadhead they are more than capable of taking down large game and you will get more speed out of the bow. Tell me those razorbacks are not those solid blades that the whole tip spins. what kind of bow is it?? whats the draw weight? what arrows are you shooting. also one other little tip practice with broadheads not feild tips. Just my opinion. [;)][;)] Boy 18 year lay off it was KINDOFSUDDEN you picked bow hunting back up. HA HA welcome hope to see you around more.[:D][:D]
  • kindofsuddenkindofsudden Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, surekill. That is very kind of you.

Yeah, there is definitely sentimental value to the broadheads. I grew up with them and they took a lot of deer. I already feel bad replacing all the other stuff and adding sites, etc. because he always told me "don't put a bunch of junk on your bow, it is just more things that can go wrong." So I am trying to keep change to a minimum and I hope to take a deer or two in Dad's memory.

The whole tip does not spin on the Razorbacks. Just the blades. The bow is a Browning, I think a Nitro 2 or something. Draw weight is currently 65# but I may beef up.

So as a kid who grew up only practicing with field tips, do the new targets preserve the broadheads well, or should I stick with the field tips?
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Well I personally would put those particulr broadheads aside in Dads memory and again buy some Muzzys or some other good brand so you can practice with them but when it comes time to hunt you can install new sharp blades as so you can achive a humain Quick Kill. I dont think Dad would mind That. I know How Hard it can be to throw out the smallest thing I lost my dad in 2000 to cancer and we were best Buddies Hunted all the time together. Hope this helps and hope to see ya posting daily lots of great guys and gals on this forum we have a lot of fun and many questions get answered.[;)][;)]