In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

GPS Devices

FANNINFANNIN Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
Just wondering if anyone uses the GPS Devices and if so, what kind do you use?

I think I am sold on the Garmin ETrex Legend Color

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    FANNIN, I use a Garmin, and really like it. I've had it for about 4 years, and it is outdated, but still does the job.

What I like about it is the ease of finding my treestand in the dark on public land. If you mark your stand, it will get you w/in 15 feet of it. If you want to take a designated path that zig-zags around food or bedding areas, it will keep you on that path also.

Another thing I like to do is use it to mark sign. It can really help in patterning a buck if you can mark all of the rubs in a line, and scrapes also.

So, if you're looking to buy one, I say "DO IT!". Get one with all the features, and learn how to use it while sitting in your stand.

Ben(cough cough cardsuckough)[;)]

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i went with the lowrance, only because it is compatable with my gps/sonar on my boat. I love it. Works great.

0311 semper fi
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Magellan Map 410?... I think in 5 years its been turned on twice!?! My boat is getting repaired now so maybe I'll dig it out of the closet and try to figure it out.

Ruric, NE OHIO,
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Garmin E-trex legend. It has everything that I needed for hunting. Mapping, good graphics, easy to use, and tons of features. I went ahead and sprang for the topo maps CD and it works great. I wish that it was a little more accurate for moving from point to point but it does okay. I use it to plot my stands, mark areas of intrest while scouting and it's great for driving to new areas where you don't know the roads!

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Slash....don't suppose you would be interested in "sharing" that CD would you? [:0][;)] Is it of a certain area or all the states?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh I might be persuaded to Share. It's of the entire US and I think even Alaska and Hawaii. Tonight, when I get home, I'll try and see if the disks like to be "shared" and I'll get back with you.[:D][}:)][:D]

waco.gif

• Options
    kindofsuddenkindofsudden Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Garmin (don't remember the model), and it took forever to lock onto satellites. Moved to a Magellan Gold series and it does a great job. Could just be where I was at the time (west central Indiana).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My Garmin does take a minute or so to lock on but it's generally quick. Atleast not to be annoying. A buddy has a Magellian and I like the resolution on my Garmin better but his does get a quicker lock.

waco.gif

• Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    We have 2... dont know what kind they are.. I never use them. I have one that hooks up to a lap top with all kinds of topo maps... its old but still shows some sweet info..I was thinking about one myself to take into the field.

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I love the one on my boat. n the woods they are a pain in the *.especially early season when the tree canopy is thick. I put very few eye- shine tacks and stop then 100 two 200 yards from my stand so I dont attract other hunters. I dont mind getting losta little found some nice spots like that.[;)] Oh yea I have a garmin rhino . In fact that will be my next give away.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    In fact that will be my next give away.

I can't wait to win it!

Ben[:D]

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was interested in the Etrex legend because my buddy, who I'm going Elk hunting with at the end of this month in CO. has a Etrex Summit and loves it, except for the lack of options. So I have purchased the Legend on Ebay and will get it this thursday.....I can't wait.
    Hey Slash, Email me and we can work out a deal on the topo CD.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think you'll really like it. It takes time to learn to use one, but like I said, keep your book in your pack, and study a little in the tree.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fannin, email is on it's way too you.

waco.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    Fannin, I have good news and I didn't save a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico! Check your mail.[:D]

waco.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    EXCELLENT!!![8D][8D]. Check your email.