In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Giving up

buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
How many out there have been in the tree stand hunting and have had it so cold, or ya got sweated up or just diddent dress warm enough have gotten to the point wher ya say man it's not worth it i'm getting down.[:0]

Comments

• Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sure have. Generally it happens the first really cold snap that comes through. I never realize that it's "THAT COLD" until I'm in the tree shaking hard enough to make my teeth chatter. Been there done that; and will probably do it again.[:D]

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    One time, I promised myself an all-day hunt. It started out bitter cold, and then warmed up a tad by early afternoon. Then it clouded over. Then the freezing rain came. Funny thing was, I was getting some kind of cabin fever, because my clothes were frozen solid, I hadn't seen a single animal all day, and I just started laughing...right there in my tree...laughing my * off. I got down and went and drank whiskey with gramps.

Ben

P.S. Buckey, "the slacker" said that it "should be there around monday".

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Sometime's I'll look at people that play golf or tennis how do feel like chaseing a ball around??? Then I think they must look at me and say you sit in a tree all day freeze your[8][8]'s off in the hopes that you get a shot at a deer. HHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMM maybe they got somthing here. but I cant help it gotta keep doing it.[:o)]
    edited November -1
    Isn't it odd how the perception of time can completely disintegrate after a few hours. I find that if I can sit 4 hours, I can sit all day. It really doesn't seem that much longer.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Nope never crawled out of a stand because it was too cold. I have decided to get out of a duck blind because I was wet and freezing. Bugs have come close to makeing me call it quits a few times in a stand but they havent got me to give up quite yet.

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    Yea well it dosen't get all that cold in Georgia.[?] Id rather be cold than have bugs around. how cold does it get there??
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    high teens low 20's are normal... few days are in the single digits but not many. But at 20-25 and wet because you stepped in a hole and the water went higher than your hip boots or even worse... gator den and then you can easily flood your chest waders... well then it is really cold.

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    for days like that i have the 4 layer parka i can sit all day wearing that but i cant shoot my bow cuz i look like the michelin man

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headzilla97
    ... but i cant shoot my bow cuz i look like the michelin man

That's funny. I've been there.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not hunting. I have however given up ice fishing once. It was about 5 below and I could not find a place out of the wind. By the time I did, I had walked so much that I was sweating and you all know what happens after you sweat when it is cold. I think I sat for 10 minutes after I got a hole dug and was like, man I am out of here.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I've left my stand early from not seeing anything after a few hours, but only a couple times from the cold. Once I was in a buddies stand, nothing to block the wind blowing across a corn field about 10 acres in size and it was in the single digits, plus freezing rain that day. Another time I got myself all heated up while hiking into my stand (woke up late and was rushing), after sitting there a couple hours in sweet soaked clothes and snow about an inch deep on my shoulders I headed to the mountains for Busch at home. [:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt up in the frozen tundra "wisconsin". Late season about 5% of the time i end up calling it quits early......ok 10%. IT'S COLD UP HERE!!!

0311 semper fi
  • texastradingposttexastradingpost Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have on a hot day, but it was because of the mosquitos, not the heat.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Welcome aboard texastradingpost! Where ya from? [;)]
    Nice to see new names around here, hope ya stick around.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    UMMM I'm guessing Texas [;)]

I quit early got down man it was cold bout 10 or 15 degrees late Nov. One good thing bout it was when I got down my bro arrowed a nice 7pt. I was happy to gut it for him couldnt fell my fingers.

GET~R~DONE!
    edited November -1
    That would be the Great Republic of Texas!
    North Dallas area. Been a seller on GB for over 5 years. Lurked from the get go, but only posted recently. Another forum I used to hang out at got boring so here I am. It never gets too cold for us Duck hunters BTW. standard.jpg
    edited November -1
    welcome Tex: stick around for a while I doubt if you will get bored here. Did ya get a free bowl of soup with that hat [/b [:D][:D][:D][;)]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    The only time I can say I "gave up" was when I stayed out to late the night before at the Frosty Mug.[;)]

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
    edited November -1
    Yea when I have one of those nights I give up b-4 I ever wake up.[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    Yea when I have one of those nights I give up b-4 I ever wake up.[;)]

lol, yeah. The only time it really feels nice to have a hangover, is when you wake up to hunt, and it is raining.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
    edited November -1
    Thought you might like that picture. I do clean up well.
    standard.jpg