In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

To PEEP or not to PEEP?

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
Since things have been a little dull on here as of late, I thought this might spark a little converstion. I have shot with a Peep for years. Last year it cost me a VERY nice buck. I wasn't able to pinpoint an exact position behind the sholder and I hit too far back. I have decided to get rid of the peep. I'm not sold on these types of sights that act in place of the peep(hind sights.) So I am looking for peep alternatives. What does everyone else use? Should I just shoot without anything to replace the peep?

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I went back to the peep that has the tubing at the end of last year, mine is a eastman dusk/dawn, it has four little spots around the peep that light up in low light situations.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Slash0311 Posted - 08/03/2005 : 08:37:38 AM
    Since things have been a little dull on here as of late, I thought this might spark a little converstion. I have shot with a Peep for years. Last year it cost me a VERY nice buck. I wasn't able to pinpoint an exact position behind the sholder and I hit too far back. I have decided to get rid of the peep. I'm not sold on these types of sights that act in place of the peep(hind sights.) So I am looking for peep alternatives. What does everyone else use? Should I just shoot without anything to replace the peep?

Sounds like your typical hoyt shooter[:D]
    Why exactly were you not able to pinpoint a spot to shoot at? Hitting too far back doesn't sound like a peep issue it sounds more like someone with buck fever torqueing the bow with excitement at the time of release completely forgeting follow through. But hey thats just my opinion. Have you tried shooting without a peep yet if not your in for a real trip. I know several people that shoot with hindsights and love them. What exactly are you not sold on? They are after all a proven viable alternative to your buck costing evil peep sight.
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    I shot with a Hind sight and I loved it. I dont like peeps because they give me a headache and eye ache... I guess it is straining...anyway if you dont like peeps try the hind sight you will be surprised. I ordered 2 different ones monday directly from hind sight... I will let you know which one I like better.

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Why exactly were you not able to pinpoint a spot to shoot at? Hitting too far back doesn't sound like a peep issue it sounds more like someone with buck fever torqueing the bow with excitement at the time of release completely forgeting follow through.

I was waiting for someone to ask that.[:D] Before I released the arrow, I even stopped and took a breath and reset on my aiming point on the deer. (Best as I can figure) The peep covered up a large part of the deer and that's why I hit too far back. I wouldn't TOTALY eliminate "buck fever" because this was a nice 8 pointer that was bigger than anything that I had ever shot with my bow. I guess my big hang up with the hind site is I am not convience by the way they work and aren't they relatively new to the market? I plan on doing some research and see what I can find out. Know any good sites for them? I have been shooting without the peep and it is going to take a little getting used to.

waco.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    Slash the different models work differently. Some you set one one pin and then you anchor on that same pin you then set the yardage you are useing on the target. (ie set anchor on 10 yrds, then the 30 on the deer) there are also models that you adjust try the actual hind sight web site.

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is their site
    http://www.hindsightco.com/

The hind sight has been out for several years now.

I guess I still don't understand how your peep could be covering up that much of your target. I shoot with a 3/64" peep of course I go bigger when hunting for the low light situations, but last weekend I left it in for the 3D course and at 15 yards I could see well over half of the deer target through it. Where I am at a loss in your situation is most hunters that use a peep use one with a hole diameter of somewhere around a 1/4". Now with a 1/4" there is no way your target would have been that obstructed causing a bad shot. Help me understand this slash I would really hate to see you get rid of your peep if it really is not your problem.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Slash just admit it you CHOKED.[:D][:D][}:)] so have I[:0] and it wont be the last time no matter what ya use. Thats Bowhunting.I drill out my peep the hole is huge works for me.[;)]
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    Slash just admit it you CHOKED.[:D][:D][}:)] so have I[:0] and it wont be the last time no matter what ya use. Thats Bowhunting.I drill out my peep the hole is huge works for me.[;)]

I drilled mine out also.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    me too.

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There are soooo many ways this thread can go off course...

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    There are soooo many ways this thread can go off course...

smilie_schuetze.gif

I know, I have 3 different off-color comments, but am trying to behave.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry I couldent resist.[}:)]this little devil made me do it[}:)] I would love to be able to shoot instinctive but I have tried and couldent kill an elephant at 10 yards.[:0] Im stuck with the peep . but I have no problem with it works well for me.[:)] common Ben grow a set of[8][8]'s and let em fly lets have some laughs.[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, I'll try to explain a little better. (Even though, I think that some of you will use this for the "choke" argument.) The buck came in rather quickly so I didn't really have time to get nervous. It was about 10 to 15 yards out. When I drew and found my pin in my peep, I could see the deer. My problem was that the outer diameter of the peep was blocking so much of my view that I was having trouble pinpointing the spot behind the front shoulder. I stopped, relaxed and looked again. I felt that I had a good shot and took it. It is possible that I did torque the bow (basically screwed up my follow thru.) I am not sure what diameter the hole in my peep was but I hadn't drilled it out. I'm going to check out the hindsite page now.

Gog, if there is anything else that could be possible, let me know. This shot has haunted me all winter and summer. I bet I tracked that deer for over a mile and a half and never found him.

waco.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    Slash you know or at least you should anyway that in archery follow through is everything. You can have your sights dead on but if you torque your bow you can send that arrow 6 inches of target with ease it doesn't take much at all. You will find also the way you grip your bow will change your POI i.e. too much hand on the bow to little hand on the bow. The hind sight is a good product like I said I know several people that use them and love them. I prefer a peep, you have been shooting with one I would suggest leaving it on your bow and practice with it see how much of the target it actually obstructs before you give up on it. If it obstructs your view too badly drill it out a little at a time until it offers both a ring to center your pin in and little to no obstructed view of the target. Only you can go through the events of that day and determine exactly what happened with your shot, but IMHO you either torqued your bow or you picked the wrong spot. I will continue to stand by my earlier statement of there is no way your peep could block that much. Seriously get some range time and study your sight picture you will probably find I'm right on this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well in regards to the size of the peep: A larger hole can make the target more identifiable in low light.

gagirl likes hindsights; however, what's good for the goose might not be good for the gander.

3rd comment with held.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    Well in regards to the size of the peep: A larger hole can make the target more identifiable in low light.

gagirl likes hindsights; however, what's good for the goose might not be good for the gander.

3rd comment with held.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!

NO [8][8]'s [:D] BTW I don't have to peep, i've got spotting scope[}:)][:D]

"Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool"anim_naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Taco what scope do you have and do you like it? I have looked at 2 but I am not sold on them yet....

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taco what scope do you have and do you like it? I have looked at 2 but I am not sold on them yet....

smilie_schuetze.gif

I have a Nikon 20-60x80, I really like it and it comes in handy instead of peeping in someones window[:p] J/K

"Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool"anim_naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gaggirl I think that comment from TacoBoy was meant as a Joke?

HE Has a spotting scope dosent have to peep as in peeping tom[:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gotcha...

Had an eotech and was looking at a BSA and an HCA for my bow... and completely missed the joke in his post.... no sleep in 2 nights will do that to ya...

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gotcha...

Had an eotech and was looking at a BSA and an HCA for my bow... and completely missed the joke in his post.... no sleep in 2 nights will do that to ya...[?]Gagirl we have a plant in GA KIK custom products have you heard of it[?]

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yeah up in north ga

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:no sleep in 2 nights will do that to ya

that have anything to do with you liking the hind.....(voice in head-be good, follow bens lead) Ah, nevermind.

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    quote:no sleep in 2 nights will do that to ya

that have anything to do with you liking the hind.....(voice in head-be good, follow bens lead) Ah, nevermind.

could have something to do with someone else likeing the hind [:D]

I will never tell [}:)]

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yeah up in north ga

smilie_schuetze.gif
    [;)]Yep Hampton Ga,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    why you transfering ? Do I need to move?

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nope your safe. Only because we have plants in better hunting area's no offence to Ga.
    we have plants in
    tacoma WA
    Edmonton AB
    Santafea Springs CA
    Denver CO
    Memphis Tenn
    Minneapolis MN
    Danville ILL
    Roanoke Va
    Auburndale Fla
    Toronto East ontario
    Rexdale Ontario
    West Ontario
    Cumberland RI.[:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    Nope your safe. Only because we have plants in better hunting area's no offence to Ga.
    we have plants in
    tacoma WA
    Edmonton AB
    Santafea Springs CA
    Denver CO
    Memphis Tenn
    Minneapolis MN
    Danville ILL
    Roanoke Va
    Auburndale Fla
    Toronto East ontario
    Rexdale Ontario
    West Ontario
    Cumberland RI.[:0]
    OH almost forgot Georgia[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah but none near as pretty [:p]

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wish I could visit them all I love to travel unfortunatly it only happens about once a year. Hopefully this new co will send me some different places keeping my fingers crossed.[:p]and it's not pretty It's Purdy[:D]
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone say Peeps?
    0104_peeps.jpg
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lmao...good 1......but as far as useing a peep its like your rear sight on a gun ya kinda need it
  • Options
    jimdandijimdandi Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went from recurve to compound with a kisser button then release, then peep.. My eyes are letting me down and I have trouble with the peep(even drilled out) so I'm going back to a kisser.. I guess the beard is going to have to go!!!!!
  • Options
    texastradingposttexastradingpost Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My opionion on the peep is that it makes you draw and mount to the same place every time. If you have good shooting form, always hold the bow the same way to your face, use an anchor point, bend at your waist and never bend your arms, etc, you do not need a peep. That said, that kind of shooting can be difficult in hunting situations and even more difficult if you do not shoot much. I no longer use a peep, I have a mental anchor point I draw to each time, and the string makes the corner of my mouth at the same spot each time. If I ever go back I would do a kisser button. I went to more simple with everything. I only use one sight pin now too.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I have a peep site but it doesnt always line up is their any remedy for this?

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headzilla97

That sounds like you are changing your anchor point.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:headzilla97 Posted - 08/20/2005 : 02:04:27 AM

Rubber tubing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just changed from the rubber tubing to the self alligning this weekend and I love it dont have to worry about tubing snaping and peep always lines up... Im ready my lx is shooting great.[;)]