In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mechanical broadheads

257robertsimp257robertsimp Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
I would like feedback on any mechanical that you guys or girls have tried. I would like to try them but I do not have the funds to experiment the way I want to. How about the NAP Shockwave? They advertise they are Gauranteed to fly like a fieldpoint? I have shot fixed blade Thunderheads for years and like them but don't know about the mechanicals.

Comments

• Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    they work and fly just great. I shoot rocket side winders i think. they fly just like your field points.

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I gave up on the mechanicals for my recurve, but I think they are ok on the crossbow. Have heard both sides, but my experience wasnt that good, and I have faith in my old Rocky Mountain 3 blade. I think it depends on your bow (pounds) and length of shots. The mechanicals flew great, but I didnt get the penetration I was used to. I got the deer, but they didnt bleed as well, and maybe it was a placement problem, but if they dont punch through you are in for a long nite.
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off, what kind of bow do you shoot? Like said above, a recurve wouldn't be a good choice for mechanicals because they need a lot of energy to punch through after hitting your target. In my opinion, just about any newer bow 60# or more should be fine. I shoot the Vortex 125 gr. These things leave a MASSIVE hole and have done well for me and my hunting buddies for several years. We use them for whitetail deer. One guy elk hunts and uses a fixed blade for them since they are a much larger animal.

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi