In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smoking while hunting/Scent in General

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
After reading the posts about tracking deer, I started thinking about smoking in the tree (or while hunting deer on the ground). Of the people on here who smoke, how many do while hunting? The reason I ask is scent control in general. How concerned do you get about scent. I read where one guy urinates from the tree while hunting. I guess I obsess about scent. I use "Scent Lok", baking soda, and don't put my hunting camo on until I am heading into the woods. Plus, I keep it in a dry bad with backing soda and small leaves from the types of trees I'm going to be hunting in. I'm just wondering and trying to start up some good conversations on here.

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Ive seen mixed results depending on where your hunting. Example in North Dakota. you cant get away with anything[:0] the deer are un-pressured with almost no human contact. I have seen other places like in RI where I hunt Deer the Deer hear dogs barking smell wood stoves. hear cars and smell exhaust. So the are somewhat de-sensitized to these things. However a whif of human scent say goodbye for a long time.[:(] In all the more scent free you can stay the better[^] I actually think in certain scituations the smoke or other things like a wood stove can work in the hunters favor . Guess ya gotta know the area and watch the deers reaction to these things to know for sure. Sorry for the long winded answer.[;)]
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Sorry for the long winded answer.

No problem, it was a long winded question![:D][;)]

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had deer walk directly under my tree while I was smoking and never paid any attention to me. I don't know that it really bothers them at all.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    My brother has had to put his cigirette out on several occations to shoot a deer so I cant dissagree with ya there. like I said before I also think it depends where you hunt and what the animals are exposed to.
  • Options
    danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A hunting partner we used to call "gramps" used to smoke his pipe on stand all the time. He only used a ground blind. He got more deer than any of use though.

0311 semper fi
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't smoke in my treestand while I'm bow hunting..I smoke when gun hunting tho dont have to let them get as close[:D] Use to do the scent control thing but I'm high enuff doen't seam to worry the deer.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Can't see how a deer couldn't smell you if you were a smoker, not actually smoking in the woods, just a smoker in general. It may not bother them so much, but I imagine they can smell you. To shoot a deer while your smoking, I can only think the wind must have been perfect or something. If I had antlers and smelled a camel you can bet my * wouldn't be slow walking underneath ya. [;)]

I do believe deer like the smell of booze so it's best to keep coolers on hand while in the stand. [:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few months ago, a neighbor had was burning brush in the center of a field- Had about a dozen deer hanging out no more than 20 yards from the fire.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    jimdandijimdandi Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    not a smoker, but have used scent punks...
    they worked some time depends on the rutt stage...
    The only smoke I really want them to smell is from my muzzle loader,
    cause then its too late!!!!!!
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have chewed while in the stand, never been a problem. However, I always sprayed myself down with scent stuff. I beleive that some stuff actually works and I have been able to tell. I can't count on one hand the amount of times I have been sniffed by a doe. Since I started putting scent stuff on, I don't think I have been sniffed once.
  • Options
    Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a lot of fresh earth sent and limit myself to smoking very little while hunting.I sleep a lot in my stand but another problem.
    [:D][:o)]

MLMorgan
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Deer can be really strange sometimes. When I logged in Montana they would come in to the sound of us falling trees with a chain saw in the winter. They really liked the tops. The funny thing was they would take off if you tried to sneak off to get the rifle.
    If any of you have ever used chain saws much you know the mixed gas has a smell peculiar to only itself. Skeeters sure don't like it. That never seemed to bother the deer though. I sometimes think it's just what they are used to as to what will * them.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>