In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colorado Hunting Trip

FANNINFANNIN Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
Well, I got back this weekend from an Elk/Mule Deer hunt in Eagle, CO. It was an unguided trip and there were eight of us....no the details.
Well, I had a 650-700lb. cow step out in front of me and my buddy. He ranged her at 71 yards....now I know this is where some people start to question, but, I was completely comfortable taking the shot. Anyway, so I took to the shot...I shot a little low, but she helped me out by trying to "duck" the string. It hit her right in the middle of the body, but she also tried quatering away after she heard the shot, so the arrow ended up hitting her in the liver quartering to her lung.
We let her rest overnight and tracked the blood trail for a little over a quarter mile before it went out to a large field with waist tall grass. So needless to say, the coyotes got to her. This was the first time I couldn't recover an animal, and it feels like CRAP!
I was devistated....

Comments

• gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear that Fannin, better luck next time.

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lost a nice buck last year to a bad hit. It was a little too far back. I'm still haunted by that shot! How did the GPS work for you? So far I like the hind sight. I just need to shoot it more to get used to it. Did anyone else in your group do any good? I have two buddies leaving this weekend for CO. I was invited also but I'm out of vacation time! THAT SUCKS!!! But at least you made it back safe and hopefully still have a little money left after GAS![:D]

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • FANNINFANNIN Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Out of eight of us, I was the only one to get a shot. We saw a couple of large heards, (about 70-100) and several mulys. But it had rained quite a bit and they didn't have to move far for water of food. Trying to snead up on a heard is impossible too. They all sleep different ways so there is always a pair of eyes on you.
    The GPS worked GREAT! I absolutely relied on the maps out there. Thanks again. I am glad the hind site is working. I am thinking about one for next year maybe. Deer season opens up on the 15th here, so it's too close to mess with things.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear that. For the animal that is.[V] 71 yards is redicoulas when shooting at real game. The results proved that. Just cause we may practice at those yardages dosent mean we shoot at live animals at them. I gotta be honest I think you were a little foolish and cockey taking that long shot. And the poor animal Paid for your bad judgement. Everyone makes bad shots even at close range. But that shot increases the odds of going bad about 60%.[:(]I am sorry if you find my statement offensive but thats my opinion.