In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

recurve bows

sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
Howdy,

I'm relatively new to the sport of bowhunting. I did grow up shooting the standard 22 lb. fiberglass bow at jackrabbits and haybales. Now that I've done quite a bit of rifle hunting I'm interested in going after deer with a bow. As a gift to my son, because he got interested in bowhunting from a few friends of mine out in Nevada, I got him a used Bear (Kodiak?).
I have to say though over the years that even though I've shot compounds mostly when I do shoot, I prefer a recurve bow.
Does anyone know of a good bow in the 35-50 lb. range that has a reasonable price tag....also if I get a chance to buy one used what brand do most of you prefer? Thanks

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would prefer hand made if it was me. PSE, Martin, and Bear all make a recurve for under $300. All good brands, and trusted in anrchery. You will probably want to make sure you are over 40lb cause most states that is the least ammount of poundage you can have on a bow.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoff14,

Thanks, Something to keep in mind for where I'm going to hunt. How much do you use?

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well i don't shoot recurve to hunt with. Just shot a lot of them. My fathers friend, who makes his own bows, shoots with 63lbs if i remember right. This has produced some pass through clean shots with cedar arrows. I know it would be hard to find anything new at 60+ pounds though. I know that shooting a 60+ pound recurve really takes it out of you, and the amount of practice you will get in will lack. I am a bigger guy but shooting a recurve of 60+ pounds 10 times in one sitting would get old, really quick. Since you are begining you are going to have to practice a lot to get the hang of it. If it was me, I would want something around 60lbs. However there have been bows of 45 and 50 killed deer. A lot of it depends on how much kinetic energy you get behind your arrow, what broadhead you use and the wieght of your arrow. You will not be able to use mechanical broadheads. Will have to go with fixed blade broadheads of roughly 125gr or 100 depending on your wieght of pull.

One tip about recurves, when you get a bow, get a stringer along with it. When you are not shooting the bow or hunting, take the string off, it will help it from stretching.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used the PSE COYOTE 50lbs. 28" VERY nice bow [8D] You could go to fleabay and find a good used bow on there or even look here also.

GET~R~DONE!
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 3 recurves that have shot many deer. A Kodiac Magnum, a Hunter, and a Black Widow. They all pull about 47-55 pounds.
    The Black Widow probably is the finest made, most desirable bow, but I prefer the Fred Bear bows for whatever reasons. I have recently moved from a PSE compound to a crossbow. The older you get the easier it is to go in this direction. This forum is not to buy and sell, but if you are interested, list your wants in the wanted column and I may part with one of the recurves.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks again for further posts and tips. It'll still be a little bit before I get set to buy one....gotta pay the bills ya know. So in the meantime I'll be watching what works and what doesn't. Thanks again.