In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New to archery

jdrrjdrr Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
I would like to start hunting with a bow. I have taken a hunters safety course and I would like some feedback on what would be a good first bow. PSE ,Hoyt , or Fred Bear? I would like to buy something that I can grow into over time. What should I get for size and draw weight?

Thank you

Comments

• jdrrjdrr Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an opportunity to buy a Hoyt Golden Eagle. I haven't seen the bow but the fellow that is selling it says it is his son's and it is three years old. Aren't they older than that? It has 12 2016 Eastman Gamegetters included. Are you able to tell the length from this number. He is 100 miles away and I really don't want an old bow so am trying to do some research first. Any idea what this bow would be worth? Thanks
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm guessing that you are talking about hunting whitetail deer. If this is the case, I would recommend using a bow 50 to 65 pounds. This would be more than enough to take a deer. As for a brand, any more that will depend on what you are willing to spend. I would work out a budget and stick to it. Newer bows like top of the line Hoyts (what I have) and Mathews can run $600 and up without any of the goodies like rest, quiver, and sights. I generally recommend that newer shooters go to a pro shop in their area and shoot bows there. They can help you get started and will be able to mount any accessories that you get along with your bow. Shoot them, see how they feel in your hand and how they feel when you shoot them. Some bows will have more vibration, some will be faster, and some will be louder. If you know anyone in your area that hunts, give them a call and ask if you can shoot with them sometime. I know that I am always more than happy to help get someone started. Plus, it's better to get you started off on the right foot. Good luck and keep us posted on what you get.

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You also need to ask yourself questions like this

Do I want to be modern or old school?
    What do I want to shoot, recurve, long bow, or compound?
    Do I want to shoot with a release or fingers?
    What is my budget?
    What is my accessory budget?
    Do I want top of the line to start out with, or something to see if I like it?

Size depends on your length of your wingspand divided by two, that is a rough estimate. Shooting bows at a bow shop is the best method to determine all that.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like your best bet would be go to your local bow shop and have them help you out. They be able to set you up better there with hands on deals like Draw length ,weight

GET~R~DONE!
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the bows you mentioned are very good bows. Some models are better than others. Follow the advice above and consider a used bow, to save money and get into the sport and move up when you can make a smart decision. You can get by with less poundage (45-55) if you can place your shots where you want them. The most expensive bows in the world arent worth a crap if you dont practice and get proficient with them.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I agree with surekill, talk to some archers you know, find a good shop and go ask them to set you up. Have a price set you want to spend and go by that. Personally. I would not invest in a top dollar bow until after a couple years and you know your into it for sure. Any bow = low resale value after it's purchased.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I'm with the rest of them, go to your local shop get measured, shoot a few, see what you like. A used bow to start is a good idea as well. You may not like it and would be stuck with a new bow that you could only sell for a used price. Although I really doubt that you would not like it. I will go ahead and welcome you now to the greatest addiction ever, well next to women of course.[:D][;)]

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a used PSE on ebay for $25 took it to Bass Pro sops had it checked over and had the stuff I needed mounted and bought a dozen arrows . Also did som shooting on their range . I think I could get my money back if I wanted but so far I'm happy with the bow