In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fletch Question

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
My free arrows are in need of new fletching. My question is what to put on them. I will be shooting a muzzy 100gr and lots of practice shooting. These are on goldtip hunter arrows.
I have seen some arrows with a very short vane fletch. I like the looks of these and would like to try them if there is no reason to avoid them.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    try nap quick spins

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    or blazer vanes

I have heard that the nap quicks spins don't hold up if you hit something with them.
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A buddy shot the quick spins and hated them. When he was practicing, if they went through the target or the fletching went into the target, the fletching were screwed up and would have to be replaced everytime. I use a Whisker Biscuit rest and Blazers were what has been recommended to me. I shot them for the first time yesterday and they flew great. These are the 2" size. They look a little funny to me since I am used to a 4" vain but they really flew just as good. I would recommend them. They were $15 for 100 and thats good in my book.

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Remember that your fletch is the stabilizer for your arrows. To short and they may not stabilize property too long and the will slow down your arrow. I can't imagine a 2" vane stabilizing a fix blade broadhead unless it is extremely light and the bow is tuned PERFECTLY. If it works for someone I commend them on their setup.

For my hunting arrows I want them to
    1) stabilize quickly (even after minor deflections)
    2) be visible (larger vanes are easier to see in flight and often easier to find after the shot)

Therefore my vanes (actually feathers) are 5" and bright colors.

on another note: 2 years ago I started using Bohning fletching tape instead of glue and haven't had a vane or peel off since and when the vane is damaged I just peel it off and replace. No scraping or elaborate cleanup.
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So far the Blazers shoot really well for me. I haven't tried them on my broadheads yet. That will be a good test. But I do shoot mechanical Vortex heads so that will help get my arrows stabilized. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    blazer makes 4" vanes too.
  • Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3" RW Feathers by Gateway.
  • Options
    danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot 4 inch feathers with muzzy heads for 17 years, on about 8 different bows with good results. Straight fletch also. That is what i recommend.

0311 semper fi
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    blazer makes 4" vanes too.

I have never seen them. I was looking at the Blazer vanes and did searches several times and cant find any "blazer vanes" longer than 2 in. The Wraps are 4 in tho is that what you were thinking about?

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I shoot muzzy 100 gr with 4" plasti-fletch vanes through the whisker biscuit and they stabilize perfectly. Buy an arazona e-z fletcher I have had one for 5 years and love it[:)] you can fletch a dozen arrows in 1/2 hour[:0] with the fastset gel glue. well worth the investment.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I went and did it. I got the Blazer 2" and a new Grayling fletch jig. The arrows shoot great with target points. I ill let you know how they do with the muzzys when I get to them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gagirl

you are correct. The vane I am thinking of our the X vanes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    2" vanes with fixed blades. I hope they will stabilize. Im very interested hurry up shoot a broadhed [;)]
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Buckey the guy at our new proshop, who has been shooting a bow for 30+ years, now swears by the blazers. He said that they really do stabalize quickly and fly great. I ordered some and hope to be trying them out next week.

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thats interesting. I'll have to look them up[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Buckeyboy and all
    Shot them today and wow are they nice! I shot them will in a sheltered area with 30 yd groups of 2 inches. I have 2 arrows to refletch due to cut vanes. I even got brave and took them in the wind with great results. Also worked on some long distance pins now good out to 60 yards. Still one more pin. Thinking just for the * of it making it a 100 yd, if I can get that much out of the sight.

Now for a broadhead question...
    I know the 100gr muzzzy works, or at least it did 12 years ago (125gr then) on my last deer. Just paging through the Cabela's book the other day and thought the G5 Montec looked good, and the price is not bad. Anyone have any expierence with these?http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21424&id=0004535415362a&navCount=2&podId=0004535&parentId=cat20059&navAction=push&catalogCode=QS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20059&hasJS=true
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, I tried the G5 Montec and it flew very good.

1. It makes kind of a wooosh noise when they shoot. similar to feathers.
    2. You really cant sharpen them to a razor blade edge.

3. I like a nice sharp quiet broadhead. unfortunatly they look good but I think they still have some work to do.

4. the muzzy's have killed a lot of deer for me they fly good and you can change the blades whenever you want. also 6 for $30 when all others are 3 for $30.00. Lots of other good heads out there but the muzzy's work for me.
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Helical fletched feathers will most certainly get the most mileage and thats what I recomend.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    Helical fletched feathers will most certainly get the most mileage and thats what I recomend.
    GoGo I used to shoot feathers and aside from the noise they make they do last. My brother still shoots feathers and hunts with them. I have had problems keeping them dry tried all the powders and such, with marginal results. I kinda prefer vanes now.[:)]