In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

hello: introduction

hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
hello, my name is stuart and i am very excited that i have found this forum. i've been looking around for a good hunting/archery forum for a while and it seems i've found one. out of typical forum courtesy, i wanted to introduce myself to everyone. i live in central VA and i've been bowhunting for 6 years now. i worked at QAD (Quality Archery Designs) all the way through college. the guys there helped me convert from a gun hunter to a bow hunter. its been the best 6 deer seasons of my life, all of them filled with anticipation, disapointment, frustration, and pleasure.

a little about my setup: matthews fx w/ matthews quiver, QAD Ultrarest, Ultranok 2 Micro, Beman ICS 340's with F/S noks, Trophy Ridge sights, thunderhead broadheads and a cobra release. simple but effective.

well, i've got a lot of posts to go read. great forum!

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Welcome.Glad to have you here. Bonus you shoot a mathews.[;)]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    stick around its a great forum with good people.

Do you here that HOYT BOYS, we have another mathews shooter![:D][;)]

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • excaliburexcalibur Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to have you on the broker. hope your expectations here are gratifing. They are good girls and guys here

Excalibur
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear that you shoot a Mathews. [:(] You were doing SOOOO well until that![:D][}:)][:D] As you will see, a few of us like to give/get a little razzing over the brand we shoot. I shoot a Hoyt! It's all in good fun and we never take too much of that seriously! The only stuff we take seriously is Hunting, hunting, and HUNTING![:D][:D] Glad to have you here! What part of VA do you live in? I have family in Bluefield WVA and Richlands. These are probably east of you. Again, WELCOME to the nut house![:D][:D][:p][:p]

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Welcome! Good group here. ( my grand mom said I would goto He** for lieing but oh well) Watch out for Buckey... he kinda scares most people...[:D]

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum. I'm the only normal person in here.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey thanks for the welcoming. its good to see some humor out there. yeah, i'm a mathews man, i couldn't bring myself to shoot a ho*t. [:p] i live in central va, between lynchburg and roanoke. so when does everyone's deer season open up? opening day is Oct 1st, i think, but we've been hunting urban for about a month now. anyone else hunt urban?
    edited November -1
    sorry, urban is slang for city hunting. many areas across the country are allowing bowhunting inside city limits as a way to try to control the deer population. i think its a blast, especially to be able to hunt before general bow season opens up. and no, tags are not required. unlimited bag limit, if its brown, its down!

39 and counting.... deer that is.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    Welcome! Good group here. ( my grand mom said I would goto He** for lieing but oh well) Watch out for Buckey... he kinda scares most people...[:D][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][:D]

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    jeeze I want to live where I can hunt in my back yard [:(].

Buckey you know you love me....I promise not to tell Taco about it...[:0]

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    Thats right watch out for Buckey. Ya just couldent resist could ya.[:0] Be Arfaid Be very afraid.[}:)][}:)][}:)]He's a Mathews man He's not gonna listen to you.[:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    Buckey you forget I am the Bast#$d child. I dont shoot Hoyt or Matthews... I shoot a real bow[:D] HCA!!!!

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    Oh brother! Here we go again[:D]!
    HCA, sounds like you have something stuck in your throat.[;)]

10 days left here!

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    10 days left here!

I personally will be out in my stand in 5 hours so [^]

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    I am, in a very polite way, sticking my tongue out givin you the rasberries. [^]

edited November -1
    went scouting last night 1 doe 1 buck did not get a great look at the Bucks rack but big body I will see him again. I wanna hunt in the city.[;)]
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]

this forum is slightly different than the motorcycle forums i frequent. i am trying to attach an image, but when i click attach image icon, all it does is put [img][/img] in there. what am i doing wrong?

edited November -1
    You have to have the pic hosted at another site. The easiest one to work with this forum is photobucket (yeah its free) anyway there is an area under the photo that has an IMG link.. if you just copy that and paste it here there will be no problems....

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:fishermanben
    Advanced Member

USA
    5618 Posts
    Posted - 09/20/2005 : 10:32:00 AM

Welcome to the forum. I'm the only normal person in here.

Ben

Hey Ben, What gives? I don't resemble that remark![:D][:D] It's no fun being normal!

waco.gif

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    matthews [xx(]

Welcome to the forum

you may be using the () but you need to use [] instead for your pictures.
    edited November -1
    i was gonna post up some pics, but i'm at work and i dont' have time to do all the photobucket stuff right now. i was going to show every one a picture of "chew" to make all these ho*t boys jealous. i call her "chew" for a couple reasons. it derived from mathew = matchew, and then just "chew" cuz she chews up the deer so good!!! i was also gonna post up the 8 pointer i shot on saturday....maybe i'll have some spare time tonight to figure out photobucket.

all in all i can't pick on ho*t's too much, at least they aren't bowtechs....[xx(] j/k guys.

edited November -1
    quote:all in all i can't pick on ho*t's too much, at least they aren't bowtechs.... j/k guys.

I'm getting all teary eye'd! (sniff, sniff) [:D] He's gonna fit right in! NOW! More details on the 8pt you already got! As far as I know, you'd be the first this season to get one![:D]

waco.gif

edited November -1
    Yes do tell, details, details.... I want the whole story!!!!

edited November -1
    alright, i signed up for photobucket, so pictures to come later. i did find a picture of myself online....check out the link http://www.qadinc.com/sneaky-leaf.htm and scroll down to the picture entitled FALL BLEND and thats me in the pic.

and while i'm at it i am going to see how many times i can reply to my own thread [}:)]

edited November -1
    which leaf are you[?][?][:D][:D][:D]if This guy needs some help killing say the word.
    edited November -1
    I can't see you.

edited November -1
    Those leaves look pretty good. How many does it take to do a normal set of camo? Would the 100 leaf pack be enough for pants and jacket?

Got any details on that Buck yet??????????????

waco.gif

• DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another Maffuse guy?[xx(]...Welcome to the forum! My name is Ruric, I am a wild,crazy and dangerous hunting maniac...Just ask anyone that I have caught trespassing[;)]...or my x-wife!...or their lawyers![:D][8D][:0][}:)]

Ruric, NE OHIO,
    edited November -1
    ok well I am going to grab a bottle... pour it all over myself and head to the woods.... ya'll have a good afternoon. I'll be thinking about ya'll![:D]

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    details? what details? he was brown, kinda furry, and had 8 points sticking out of his head.

oh? more details? ok, you asked for it. its gonna be a long post... first, i will do a little interpretation of "urban" vocabulary. when i say "field" i really mean a big backyard. when i say "woods" i mean any strip of trees that doesn't have a house, playground, swimming pool or yard art in it. ok, now that that is taken care of.... it was saturday just after daylight and i was sitting in the "woods" about 10 yards off the edge of the "field". i noticed a deer through the thicket moving about but i couldn't tell how big it was, other than it had some antlers. he took his sweet precious time feeding towards an opening that i had for a shot. he got within about 20 yards of my shooting lane when he suddenly looked up into the "field", snorted, and ran off. i was like wth scared him off? so i turned around and here comes the "farmer" from the "field" next door dragging a tarp full of mulch down into his "woods". damn. i figured my hunt was over so i got kinda discouaged. about 15 minutes later i heard snap. i thought it was a squirrel or something so i casually tossed my head over to the left and here he comes, almost straight at me. luckily there was a big tree between me and him and when he walked behind it i was able to stand up and get ready. but he suddenly changed directions and instead of walking in front of me like i planned, he went behind me. this actually worked out perfect as i got to take a 15 yard shot with him slightly quartering away. i kinda blotched the shot a little bit as i was a bit nervous because this is the biggest buck i've ever killed with my bow. i gave him two hours and tracked him about 300 yards. i still had to put one more arrow in him when i found him. i'm not proud of my shot, but sometimes it happens i guess. anyways, he's not really big, i guess about 14 inches outside spread and his G2's might be 6 inches or so. i dont know, im guessing at all this, i haven't put a tape measure to it.

edited November -1
    Urban hunting sounds crazy. What kind of permit is required? Don't people get pissed at you killing "pets"? What's it like when you blood trail. "You see he crossed that log(garden hose), and ran around the lake (swimming pool), and then laid down on the beach (sandbox).

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
    edited November -1
    i really don't know how one would go about getting on these kill permits. i'm friends with the head animal warden and he hooks us up with the spots. its year round, bow only, must be 12ft off the ground minimum. the way he gets the spots is people call the city and complain about the deer. when they sign up for a permit it allows the city sharpshooter team to spotlight deer and kill them with silenced high powered rifles. that also opens the door up for us to be able to bowhunt there. you would be suprised at how receptive people are to let us hunt. they have actually offered to fix us dinner, pay us, etc for killing deer. they are way too plentiful and are causing diseases, car accidents and destruction to property. nothing beats hiking up into the mountains for a real deep woods hunt, but i'm sure not going to pass up the opportunity to bowhunt in the city. we have some spots that are 15+ acres of actual woods, so sometimes when i'm hunting there i can't even tell i'm in the city. well, 5 oclock quitting time...

• A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to it, I'm probobly the kid of the forum. Names Anthony, and have a uncle and grandfather that hunt with me. They also are on the forum. I am 17, and love to hunt. Glad to see ya join!!!!
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey welcome Stuart [:)] Good to see a smart man shooting a M A T H E W S oooooooh that seven lettered word gota love it. [:D] That camo looks great.

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender Shooter)
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Welcome hsracer201. Glad to have you around!

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    ok, for those who wanted pictures....i created an accoutn with photobucket and the uploading of my picture kinda got screwed up. but i think you can at least see the rack. if not, i will try to fix it tomorrow. hit this link and see if it works

http://photobucket.com/albums/b365/hsracer201/?action=view?t=00908330.jpg

i will try to upload it again when i have more time. today is my first try both on this forum and on photobucket so try to cut me some slack...[:)] having dial up from home sucks. sorry for my ugly mug in the pic...

hey A.gun....dont worry about being the kid of the forum...i'm only 23!

• surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Couldnt get your pic to come up [:(] It may just be me..

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW that's a big pic? Only the top half comes up for me. Hmmmmm....

Just above your pic (in photobucket) there is an "edit" button. Click that and make it about 50% smaller. That size should fit here just right. Then go back to your pic, and copy the third [IMG]tag under the pic (AS IS) and paste it in your reply here. See if that works. I forget, all you easterners/flatlanders have to count ALL the points. Round these parts, that's only called a 4 point. [}:)] Just razzin ya a little. [;)] Welcome to the forums. [:D][/img]00908330.jpg

Once you get the pic right, I'll take this one out.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    thanks pickenup, but its not due to the size of my photo. i shrunk it in photobucket and it is still just the top half of the photo. that's the trouble with dial-up, it took almost 1/2 hour to get that much uploaded and i guess there was a hiccup in the phone line and it stopped transmitting. i loaded up another picture of just the deer by itself. http://photobucket.com/albums/b365/hsracer201/?action=view&current=8pt.jpg well...if you look up in the right hand corner and you can catch a glimpse of "chew" [:I]

edited November -1
    8pt.jpg

I see what you mean about your shot. You still caught liver, but just barely. I shot one in the same spot 2 years ago while trying to shoot behind my tree. I was calling myself every dirty name I could think of when I saw where I hit. Luckily I cut the crap out of liver, and she only went about 70 yards. whew. That made me feel a whole lot better.

Nice buck.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!