In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scent Blocker Plus activation

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey everyone
I just bought some scent blocker plus camo at the tent sale at my local Cabela's store. It was missing the tags, but I have heard that you need to activate them before using. My question is... How do you activate them? Also how do you clean them?
Thanks for the help
Joe

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    My scent lok bag says to put in the dryer on high, but doesn't say for how long. To clean they make detergents for washing carbon materials. Now I do have some camo that says hand wash so I'm not sure if you can machine or need to hand wash it.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put my Scent Lock in for about 20 or 30 mins then hang it outside for a day or two to make sure that I don't leave any "dryer" smell. When I wash them, I just baking powder only in the machine. Then on top of all of that, I use a scent proof bag (It's a roll top dry bag from Cabela's)with more baking powder and a few leaves from local trees inside (ususally Sasafrass). If you remember my other posts, I tend to be way on the * side when it comes to scent control.[:D]

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Iv'e tried all the scent blocker stuff and a word of caution. It does help..... But do not rely on it. the wind is your best defence. A lot of folks buy all the scent blocker. Spray from head to toe and think they can hunt down wind. don't be fooled deer will still smell you. I put mine in the dryer for 1/2 hour on high then outside for 3-4 days then in the scent lock bag. Another tip bring your scent log bag to your stand and put the stuff on there. Cause if ya do it in the cabbin or house then get in the truck go get donuts that garmet is completely contaminated.[;)] Just somthing to consider. there have been days where i'vw done everything wrong and still scored but why not keep the odds in our favor.[:)]
    edited November -1
    A fella on the outdoor channel said that scent lok clothing only makes your scent less strong. A deer will still smell you but think you are much farther away because your scent is weak.

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
    edited November -1
    I do the same as Bucky. I never put my outer camo on until I am at the woods getting ready to walk in. I never wear them in the truck or at home. Like I said, I am * when it comes to scent control and you never know how much scent is in your trucks air freshener or around the kitchen ect. Plus I always pay attention to the wind and hunt high! So far it is a combination that has worked for me. I haven't been busted by scent for quite some time!

waco.gif

edited November -1
    Do you guys use any sprays with your scent suits? ie. carbon blast, white lighting, scent killer..ect..

edited November -1
    I use "scent killer" (I think that is the name of it) It comes in a big yellow bottle and generally has a small camo bottle good for a fanny pack. Plus I use "earth scent" waffers. I really like the way those work. Easy to use and they pretty much "recharge" themselves in the container they come in. I've had some for three years now and they still smell good.

waco.gif

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I was watching a real-tree outdoors show, and one guy was in charge of everybody's scent-blocker suits. Well, he had put cover scent in the bags with each man's suit. It pissed the guys off, and they made him go to a laundry mat, and re-activate all of the suits, so they would have fresh scent-absorbing ability.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.
    I know I will not be relying on this totally. I got them because I liked the pattern, the fleece material is quiet and I got them for 1/4th the price. I did not get the hat/face mask, they were not on sale.
    I will be looking into the soap for these.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    The hat is the most important thing deer we shed more hair and dander from our heads than any other part of our body it may be worth the investment.[;)]
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wash with carbon clothes detergent and reacivate in the dryer for 20-30 minutes on high. You only need to wash the garments if they become very dirty or bloody. I keep mine in a SB Duffel bag, too. I do use scent control sprays but, don't spray cover scent directly on the garments or place scent wafers in the Duffel bag. You don't want your carbon clothing/bag working to remove your cover scents and not your scent. I utilize a full headcover and gloves. Most importantly, I trust that it works for me, it does, and I believe in it. I'd much rather have it on than not, regardless of wind conditions. I've invested over a grand (some of it on sale) in two complete sets to match all my hunting conditions.

SB says Forget the Wind, just Hunt. I never forget the wind but, I don't get too concerned if it changes on me. Also, when hunting in hilly terrain I don't get too uptight when the winds swirl or the thermals mess with you.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply. I will be investing in the hat/facemask afterall, just not until pay day. Too damn hot to hunt here now anyway.