In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

who's going hunting this weekend?

hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
just like the title says, who is hunting this saturday? i know season is in for gagirl, but how about the rest of you folks? if you aren't going to be hunting are you at least going to be scouting, hanging last minute stands, practicing? i'm just trying to get some conversation going on the board this morning.

39 and counting.... deer that is.

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Nope, season opens Oct. 1. no, my huntin ground is 2-1/2 hrs away. no, stands are up except for my climber of course. no, I will be workin a rodeo this weekend and I have been shootin as much as possible already. I'm ready to go, need to get a list of things together and start packin'.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My season doesn't open until Oct 1! I have plans on Saturday to hang a few more stands in some more remote sections of our lease that deer should move into when the pressure is on. I was getting my gear out last night and checking it over. Taking inventory on what I needed to get like batteries and scent spray. I've been shooting but not as much as I should be. It'll help me when I can actually get in a tree.

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Yup will be out there all day Sat!

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • ZUKEBABYZUKEBABY Member Posts: 450 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, Oct. 1 here in Illinois for deer with the bow, but depending on the weather, may go shoot some squirrels this weekend with the .22.
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    squirrels sound like fun. if the morning hunt is successful, and also depending on how hot it gets i might go squirrel hunting also.

gagirl, good luck!

bang, you have to drive 2.5 hours to get to your hunting spot? wow, that makes me appreciate only having to drive an hour (at the most)

slash, good luck with the stands.

is everyone "rack" hunting during bow season, or is it first come first shoot? around here there are two opposing views on bowseason. some people hunt bucks only and then if they don't have any luck they blast some does during rifle season, but then the other view is plow some does during bow season and then hunt bucks during the rut. as for myself, i am not a picky hunter. if i am offered a good shot on any deer i will typically take it. any thought or ideas?

edited November -1
    doe huntin til they start movin more or closer to the rut, however if a nice buck comes in its nighty night time. I took my bucks(only get 2 in Il) to early last year and had to watch some nice ones walk later in the year.

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
    edited November -1
    HSracer.... I hunt what I am going to eat. This is my first bow season but I have been hunting for awhile. I personally have never trophy hunted and am really not sure that I ever care to. We do not have large racks down here so I guess if I went northward I would be more into trophys. I really REALLY love venison and it is really good for you so that is my reason for not careing if it is a doe ot buck.

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    In Indiana we can only kill ONE buck period. Bow or gun. If you kill a spike on the opening morning of bow season on Oct 1, you're down except for does. Doesn't matter if a new world record walks in front of you, once you get your one, that's it. (But for the record, if a new WR were to walk in front of me, my "WIFE" would get her first deer![:D]) I haven't seriously gone after squirrels for a few years. My wife and I don't eat them and I hate to kill something that goes to waste. I always loved hunting them though!

Plus after hearing that Bang has to drive over 2 hours and Gagirl has to drive one, makes me even more appreciative of only having to walk into my back yard to hunt on 40 private acres that I am the ONLY one with permission to hunt or drive 15 minutes to my lease! (Really, I'm not trying to rub it in, but I am lucky!)

waco.gif

edited November -1
    Slash I dont drive one hour... the place I hunt most is about 20 minute drive... then walk into and climb stand... anyway what I said was I can be in stand within 1 hour of getting up.

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    wow, it is interesting to hear how much different states vary on bag limits. in VA you are allowed 3 bucks on your license, and you can buy as many doe tags as you feel like. they are $6.25 each.

i typically give my venison away because my girlfriend won't eat it. well, she will eat a roast if i fix it in the crock pot, but that's it. but there are plenty of people here to give it to. none of it goes to waste, that's for sure.

edited November -1
    I have aquired a place close to home to hunt this year but it is just small tree line in the middle of fields. It is probably around 100 yrds long, giver take, and maybe 15-20 wide. and a long walk to get to it. But there are rubs up in it and I have seen deer in it last year. I probably wont hit it to much mainly just to get my fix during the week.

edited November -1
    Sorry Gagirl, I misread your post. As for tags in Indiana, a resident tag costs $25.00 each (I think) and rumors of them going up more are floating around. I bought my lifetime license about 6 years ago. ONE OF THE BEST INVESTMENTS I EVER MADE!!! All I will ever need to hunt anything (other than federal waterfowl) is a piece of paper to write my "tag" on when I get a deer or turkey. The state was losing so much money on them that as of this past July, they no longer offer them. Thousands of people bought them right before the last big price jump. It went from $550 (what I paid) to something like $850. As for does, Indiana does the limits on a county by county basis. Some counties you can kill up to 4 I think and others you can only kill 1. Bad part about this system is that they only go off of what you tell them when you check you animal in. They have no way to prove where you killed it and if you are checked in the field with a deer, they have no way to see how many you have already killed in that county.

waco.gif

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slash

where do you live? If I become a resident, maybe i can go hunting in Indiana?
    edited November -1
    Shoff14: I live in southern Indiana. Evansville is the biggest city that's close to me. It's about 25-30 miles away.

waco.gif

edited November -1
    you got me curious about a lifetime license so i looked it up and it is $250. i would buy one but i'm not sure if i will live in Virginia my whole life or not.

edited November -1
    In Indiana it doesn't matter if I move. I can move to a different state but will still have my lifetime license and will be able to hunt as I do know. It really was a great deal. I have already more than paid for the initial cost. Just between small game, deer and turkey.

waco.gif

• headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I will be hunting for the elusive canadian beaver this weekend when I go visit some of my friends near the canada border

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headzilla97
    I will be hunting for the elusive canadian beaver this weekend when I go visit some of my friends near the canada border

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.

Hope you bag one! [:D]

edited November -1
    quote:headzilla97 Posted - 09/22/2005 : 2:12:06 PM

Watch out man! Them things have teeth![:D] Good luck and above all else STAY SAFE from them beavers![:D]

waco.gif

• craig_deer_huntercraig_deer_hunter Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not me. Archery season opens here on Oct. 1 and it is supposed to be in the mid 90's this weekend. So if you shoot any thing you better hope it falls over dead next to the freezer.

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
    use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
    edited November -1
    Oh boy!?!?!?!

• DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have firewood to cut,split and stack this weekend but if the kids work REAL HARD I might be able to sneak out for some squirrels Sunday morning!?!...I hope!

Ruric, NE OHIO,
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DIRTYRAT
    Have firewood to cut,split and stack this weekend but if the kids work REAL HARD I might be able to sneak out for some squirrels Sunday morning!?!...I hope!

Ruric, NE OHIO,

that must be nice. we aren't allowed to hunt anything on Sundays

• surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to put up some more stands.Oct 1 is the opening day here in Iowa also. 7 more days [:D][:D][:D][:D] We can take 1 buck with bow 1 with shotgun and 1 with muzzleloader,bunch of does in all the seasons $27 for the 1st two tags then $12 for the rest. I'm only a 1/2 mile from my hunting spot can see it from my back porch [:D]

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    No archery yet for me in Ohio. I might throw the dog in the boat and try to plink a few squirrels out early Saturday morning though.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with susp. I have a standard week for my season [:(] It can't come soon enough.[:D] Gotta get out tomorrow and setup my portable for next saturday morning!!!!